PDA

View Full Version : Just for the sake of argument .... what'cha think?

Thumper
02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
I received an eMail ... (a Groupon actually) ... for an offer to buy an acre of land on Mars. I remember hearing years ago about some company selling land on the moon (probably this same company), but I classified it as a "gag gift" ... kinda like buying a star and assigning your name to it. I put it into the "Pet Rock" gag gift category.

BUT ... as I was reading the email, it hit me ... I wonder what the legal ramifications could be? If you were a big enough jerk and had the money for attorneys and such, would you have a case if NASA happened to land a craft on your property? Sue them for trespassing? Charge them storage if any equipment is left behind on your "land"? I know it's all basically hypothetical and a bit stupid to even think about, but stranger things have happened.

This company claims they have the "legal" right to sell this property. https://www.buymars.com/

Here's their take on the legality ....

https://www.buymars.com/media/wysiwyg/img_1.jpg

Lunar Embassy Facts

BEWARE of other phony 'Lunar' companies selling Planet Mars property. They might seem legitimate but the Lunar Embassy is THE ONLY COMPANY in the world to possess a legal basis and copyright for the sale of Planet Mars and other extraterrestrial property within the confines of our solar system since the year 1980. You could be purchasing a worthless piece of paper if you are not purchasing Planet Mars land from an authorized Lunar Embassy agent.

Over 5,000,000+ people from 176 countries around the world own extraterrestrial property from the Lunar Embassy. To date, more than 300 million acres of land on the Moon have been issued to individuals and corporations.

https://www.buymars.com/media/wysiwyg/buymars/buymars_forsalesign.jpg

Lunar Embassy's Legal Right To Offer Planet Mars Land

The UN Outer Space Treaty of 1967 stipulates that no government can own extraterrestrial property. However, it neglects to mention individuals and corporations. Therefore, under laws dating back to early US settlers, it is possible to stake a claim for land that has been surveyed by registering with the US Office of Claim Registries. In 1980, that is exactly what Dennis Hope did for land on the Moon as he established the Lunar Embassy to parcel and sell documented acres. The Lunar Embassy was obligated to inform the General Assembly of the United Nations, the US Government, and the Russian Government in writing of the claim and legal intent to sell extraterrestrial properties. These governing bodies had several years in which to contest the claim and they never did. This allowed Mr. Hope to take the next step and copyright with the US Copyright Registry Office and begin selling actual deeds for the land on the Moon.

Buckrub
02-01-2016, 09:57 AM
You think 'staking a claim' to land that you've never seen or been on is legal? In what court???

I think you should trade them two razors and a Lodge skillet for it.

Thumper
02-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I have no clue. The first thing that came to MY mind was "fraud" ... but evidently they've been doing this for a long time. I wonder if they have a real estate license? Even then, is there such a thing as an International Real Estate License? Do they even need one? It just seems weird to me that someone can "legally" do this. Can't it be considered a scam?

Buckrub
02-01-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't know those answers. But.......do ya think you'd live to collect???

Side note........we COULD go to Mars, but NASA won't consider doing it the 1/2 accelerate and 1/2 decelerate way.........so it takes 6 months to get there their way. Electromagnetic Propulsion is another choice. Thermonuclear Propulsion is another, both are much faster.

If we spent 1/2 of what we send to countries that hate us, on Space Exploration, we'd be there by now.

Thumper
02-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Well, there are wills. Pass it down, keep the title in the family and somewhere along the line, there could be a future bazillionaire! ;)