PDA

View Full Version : Garth & Trisha

LJ3
02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Took the wife to see Garth Brooks last night. I'm not really a country guy but she loves country and grew up with Garth. I have to say that is one of the best concerts I've seen. That boy puts on a great show. He's like the Bruce Springsteen of country, leaves is all on the stage and you're tired afterward.

Highly recommend if his tour comes near you!

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2016, 11:10 AM
I've got friends in low places...

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
I've never been a big fan of Garth's music but I do like to listen to Trisha Yearwood and have for a long time. We used to see them all the time around town until they went back out on the road. And Garth's ex was my next door neighbor (and a real nice lady) for a long time while their girls were growing up. They've moved now to another neighborhood so we're celebrity free round heah, and I like it. My new neighbors are friendly but strange. I think they might be in the Witness Protection program.

BKB

Thumper
02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
I had all his earlier CD's (prolly 6-8 of 'em) and went to one of his concerts back in the early or mid 90's (?), but lost interest through the years.

Lynn watches Trisha's cooking show religiously. Garth many times helps out in the kitchen and is a decent cook hisownfineself. Prolly why he's really packed on the pounds the past few years!

LJ3
02-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I didn't think I particularly cared for his music before I went. I'd go again in a second. The wife absolutely loved it. I think it would be like me seeing Zeppelin or something :)

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Zeppelin is probably the one concert I'd pay just about anything to see. Tickets for the Cap Center were just about to go on sale and me and my HS buddies were planning on camping out for 3-4 days when John Bonham died and the tour was canceled. I'm still bummed 35 years later. In case anyone is wondering, 40 shots of vodka a bad idea.

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 11:57 AM
I saw Led Zep play for twenty minutes at old Tampa Stadium in '77 when a thunderstorm came (like it does every damned day in the summer in Tampa) and the band left the stage and sent a roadie out an hour after the rain stopped (it only lasted about fifteen minutes) to tell the crowd they would come back and play another time. Problem was, the tickets said "Good for one day only, rain or shine" like they did on most tickets sold there. It meant 'come prepared for rain'. The place rioted and tore down the stage. Far as I onow that was the last concert ever put on at Tampa Stadium, which is a bummer. I saw Pink Floyd there that summer, saw Joe Walsh play for the first time with the Eagles there, Fleetwood Mac, Loggains and Messina, Joe Cocker, just a whole bunch of great acts played there without a rain problem. It rained, we got high, the sun came out, we got high, and the bands played on. Except Zep.
I went TDY later that summer to Biloxi for 90 days and Led Zep had a date to play in New Orleans that a bunch of my friends wanted me to buy tickets for but I said no way. Robert Plant's son died right before that show and they cancelled the whole tour. Those were my only two real shots at seeing them. One of my favorite bands too! I think Plant is coming to play Cain's Ballroom here soon, so that's prolly as close as I'll get.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
That really was a great era for concerts. I road tripped to Tampa, two of my best buddies were from just outside Clearwater, to see The Who in an outdoor stadium venue in what must have been either the fall of '82 or spring of '83. Not sure if it was Tampa stadium as I may have been drinking. Not the best of shows either as Pete was obviously over served and not at his best. The B-52's, of all bands, opened and were not well received. About half way through their third number, the female lead singer took a beer bottle to the gut. They said, "Thanks. You've been a wonderful audience." and ran off the stage.

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Not sure where that would've been. Tampa lost most of its concert venues to Lakeland over near where Jim lives. I saw a bunch of good shows over there too. But that was indoors.

BKB

Thumper
02-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Yep, now called The Lakeland Center ... Lynn's Hyatt is on the same property and whomever is playing at the Center, is usually booked at her hotel (the front door of the hotel is about 150 feet from the doors to the Center). If I were a groupie and/or autograph hound, I'd just hang out there while she works! ;)

The only time the entertainers don't stay there is if they insist on smoking rooms. The Hyatt has a 100% non-smoking room policy, so they sometimes place the guests in surrounding hotels.

BTW ... Lynn works closely with the event coordinator at the Center, so we get free tickets for most any concert or event booked there (including gunshows, etc). :D

LJ3
02-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Zeppelin is probably the one concert I'd pay just about anything to see. Tickets for the Cap Center were just about to go on sale and me and my HS buddies were planning on camping out for 3-4 days when John Bonham died and the tour was canceled. I'm still bummed 35 years later. In case anyone is wondering, 40 shots of vodka a bad idea.

I was in the exact same position CD. And I am also still bummed every time I think about it. Minus the 40 shots of vodka but I did do the herbal equivalent.

LJ3
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
BTW ... Lynn works closely with the event coordinator at the Center, so we get free tickets for most any concert or event booked there (including gunshows, etc). :D

Yeah, we know what a rocker you are now that you've hit your 60's. Weren't you just bragging about this show? :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Throw in Riverdance and Thump would be there in a New York minute.

BKB

Thumper
02-01-2016, 05:18 PM
You dufes DO realize I have more than one stool here, don't you? That way, you can all Bite Me in unison! ;)

Heck, youse losers are whippersnappers! I was a Zeppelin fan before they were Led Zep and Jimmy Page was still with the Yardbirds! Man-o-man, I was rockin' out with my Led Zep, Led Zep II. III and IV 8-tracks before youse dufes had a frigging driver's license! ;)

LJ3
02-01-2016, 05:27 PM
I had all the 8 Tracks too and I still had no idea who Celtic Women were until you went to their show. Dude.

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I had all the 8 Tracks too and I still had no idea who Celtic Women were until you went to their show. Dude.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...........he duded ya.

BKB

Thumper
02-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Hey, when you get free tickets for every concert in town, and it's a Friday night, and you have nothing better to do, and you have Celtic Wimmins tickets ... What'cha gonna do? Actually, they were pretty good! (But don't tell anybody I said that) :)

Captain
02-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Do you get a free cat at the Celtic Wimmins' show?

Nandy
02-01-2016, 08:46 PM
I like them celtic woman singing, I watch their show if they shed way more clothing!!! lol!

Captain
02-01-2016, 08:55 PM
You must show proof of ownership of a cat in order to go see them live. :D

Nandy
02-01-2016, 09:09 PM
I have two cats in the house, none by my desire, but still have them... Also a rabbit which is fucking cool, has personality and he is the only live thing in my house allowed to talk gansta talk... We call Him T-Rex and he is a menace, specially if he dont like you. Big ol' thing...

Captain
02-01-2016, 09:24 PM
I have two cats in the house, none by my desire, but still have them... Also a rabbit which is fucking cool, has personality and he is the only live thing in my house allowed to talk gansta talk... We call Him T-Rex and he is a menace, specially if he dont like you. Big ol' thing...

They would let you in the concert and even give you a back stage pass for the rabbit! :D

LJ3
02-01-2016, 09:48 PM
I just shot my cat. I wouldn't take $100 to see Celtic Wimmin :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Just to interject something tangentially related. Bassdog and I had a close friend we actually took our very first 'Annual' fishing trip with up north. He moved to New York to work for a company and the last we heard from him, he'd married a woman (celtic I presume) who designed and made Celtic women's jewelry, they had a kid, and were moving to Florida. I did what I could to find him when Bob died, but he's fallen off the face of the earth. And his name is Jeff Davis. You know how many Jeff Davis's there are in Florida? A bunch.

So a mini-Thump story. Only Thumper knew he REAL Jeff Davis.

BKb

Nandy
02-01-2016, 10:45 PM
even give you a back stage pass for the rabbit! :D

Rex would hump them all to death, his death!!

Thumper
02-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Ha ha! Actually I DO know Jefferson Davis! Ummm, the friend you're looking for ain't black is he? If not ... wrong Jeff Davis. ;)

DeputyDog
02-01-2016, 11:31 PM
I just shot my cat. I wouldn't take $100 to see Celtic Wimmin :)

Now you're gonna get haunted by cat ghosts too. Not a smart move. ;)

Buckrub
02-01-2016, 11:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZ0xlC0CHQ

Thumper
02-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Actually, they're not really all that difficult to look at. ;)

http://www.thisfullhouse.com/.a/6a00e54ee632ab883301310f871b70970c-pi

Captain
02-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Damn! Anyone got a spare cat I can adopt! ;)

Thumper
02-02-2016, 09:02 AM
You can almost see one in that pic! ;)

Nandy
02-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Actually, they're not really all that difficult to look at. ;)

http://www.thisfullhouse.com/.a/6a00e54ee632ab883301310f871b70970c-pi

I take the one in the extreme right.... Grrrrrr.... Just like I like them, big cheek bones, cat eyes, big blue eyes and soft all around.... I know, TMI!!! lol!

Thumper
02-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Actually, she's a bit on the "chunky" side Nandy. ;)

Arty
02-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Not everyone can be built like those Thai girls with Adam's apples that you're so fond of.

Thumper
02-03-2016, 09:10 AM
I think there are a bunch of dufes around here who need to attend Len's stool sale. There could easily be a shortage around this joint.

Nandy
02-03-2016, 06:22 PM

all women needs loving, all of them....

Captain
02-03-2016, 09:31 PM
How did this to from Garth and Trisha to Nandy jumping chunky monkeys?

Nandy
02-03-2016, 09:48 PM
errr, does goodhunting.info means anything to you????

And full woman are people too and needs loving!!!!

Bwana
02-05-2016, 12:38 PM
I saw Garth back in 1991 when he was just getting a good start and he was pretty good then. Saw him another time at the height of the hype and he put on one whale of a show. Saw him again in Minneapolis last November while enroute to the Mayo Clinic for my son and though he has more than a bit horse from back to back show nights, his show was unreal! Not only that sweet Trisha's voice is still awesome. (She waved at me during the 1991 show.)