PDA

View Full Version : Guitar is hard

LJ3
02-04-2016, 03:55 PM
I've been playing guitar for a long ass time. I should be a LOT better then I am. I hit a "plateau" about 10 years ago and never advanced from there. Everything I know and have mastered is very basic shit to any guitar slinger that can actually play. Some of it is laziness, some of it is ability, some of it is ADD. For whatever reason I stopped playing for a really long time not long after that plateau.

Anyway, my interest renewed last year and I picked it up again, cleaned my strat up, put new strings on a few guitars and started playing again but made zip progress against the plateau. Just playing the smae old shit I always played. Pentatonic minor scale AKA "the blues box" against a three chord blues progression. I started poking around on the net and there are a ton of little things you can pickup here and there. Lots of conflicting info as well. Tablature all over the place, blah blah blah...

I started getting interested in effects and tone for my strat and that has some new gadgets on board and I'm starting to try and learn a few new things. I'm looking for something that will let me smash barriers but I still haven't found it yet. There's tons of maroons out there that promised they have all the secrets and will send you their DVD collection for a couple hunnert bucks but none of them really look that good that I've seen.

The things is, I have a lot of the basics. I've been learning new types and positions of scales. This shit is HARD! :) But it's fun to see myself progress at least with fret board knowledge and getting thru scales.

I guess that's one of the main things I never took the time to learn is all the scales, their relative positions and when to use them for what type of chord progressions... So in a way it's back to the basic building blocks for me. I've committed that I'll have no new gear or gadgets until I have made significant progress in my current ability (as measured by me).

Anyway... I know we have at least a couple guitar players here. BBP and Big Sky. Anyone else? Anyone find anything on the innerwebs that helped them in any way?

I just got two tablature books for Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughn. Most of it is pretty intimidating!

For those of you that don't know what a strat is... dis heah am a Strat. The best guitar in the world. (http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/view-all/)

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
I'm kind of disgusted with myself. I gave my Martin to my son for his birthday a couple years ago and haven't picked up a guitar for more than five minutes of fiddling around since. And its a twelve string, so its kind of limited in the fiddling around department. I've been perusing the used guitars lately, but its just too damn much to pay. I want another D28. Even used ones are expensive.

You should try the pan flute. I have some great Zamfir songs you could learn.

BKB

Thumper
02-04-2016, 04:31 PM
I gots a skin flute you can play. ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Did you really just invite Len to play your skin flute?

Arty
02-04-2016, 05:03 PM

Kazoo sized flute.

LJ3
02-04-2016, 05:05 PM
I shoulda known better... You'd think after 47 years with you fucks I'd know.

BBP, those D28s are crazy. Why you cain't get something more reasonable? There's tons of guitars out there that compete at half the price. You're a label whore is what you are :) Didn't you give a kid a G&L Fender too? What the hell is a matter witchew?

airbud7
02-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Keith Urban's Player Guitar Package...+30-disc DVD lesson set...

I thought about doing it myself.

jb
02-04-2016, 05:24 PM
I always thought Kribb's was good at playing his Upright Organ.

Thumper
02-04-2016, 05:29 PM
And after the flute recital, I know a coupl'a other dufes who need to grab their stools and get in line. ;)

Buckrub
02-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Sold my duosonic for $90 back in about 1972..........and I miss it a lot. The Kay semi hollow body electric is not quite the same.

LJ3
02-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Kay made some nice fiddles back in the day bucky. Does yours have the bigsby tail piece? I love those things. Maybe I'll just be a guitar collector and forget about getting any better. 'Sides... I got a ukulele for christmas so I'll just learn to shred that thang.

BarryBobPosthole
02-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Guitar playing skill is like golf. I hit my own personal wall in both of those endeavors early in life. But there's no enjoyment like sitting out in the yard with some good friends playing guitar and singing songs (which become more and more country as the night progresses) and drinking whiskey.
So come to my house and we'll get some good folks to come over and we'll play horse shoes and visit and yard party till the wee hours.
Thats the nextphase of your musical career.embrace it!

BKB

LJ3
02-04-2016, 09:32 PM
That... Sounds like an excellent plan!

Buckrub
02-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Kay made some nice fiddles back in the day bucky. Does yours have the bigsby tail piece? I love those things. Maybe I'll just be a guitar collector and forget about getting any better. 'Sides... I got a ukulele for christmas so I'll just learn to shred that thang.

Yes.

BarryBobPosthole
02-05-2016, 09:52 AM
http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/historic-martin-guitar-accidentally-destroyed-in-quentin-tarantinos-hateful-eight--video/56497

LJ3
02-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Holy crap! In his defense, I don't care how valuable it was, it sounded like crap :) I would have thought it was a cheap imitation :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Len, maybe you need to change up your practice methods.
BKB

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/researchers-uncover-method-learn-new-skills-twice-fast

LJ3
02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
That's innersting. I have made a couple significant strides in the last week and it's actually doing something like they suggest, unknowingly. I learned some new scale theory on the innerwebs, practiced moving between those scales for prolly 30 minutes a day along with trying to learn a couple new songs (Black Dog and Heartbreaker). The variance in the training is that my strat and amp is downstairs which takes a concerted effort to get down there and play for a while, but my acoustic is upstairs and more convenient to grab and plays very differently from the hot rodded strat.

I was struggling with a specific riff and finally nailed it on the acoustic once... my first thought was "dang, this'll be easy on the electric now. And it was.

Still, burning scales in to muscle memory is invaluable for guitar.

LJ3
02-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Nevermind. I suck. Guitar is stupid. Stuff I had considered conquered isn't. Fuck fuckin' fuckity fuck! Sometimes I can get in the zone and sometimes the zone is so far away it's like Jimmy ate the damn things and it's in the florida sewer system somewhere.