PDA

View Full Version : I need info, but it may be too complicated.

Buckrub
02-06-2016, 02:39 PM
There are some folks here that I trust with info like this. But if you don't want to bother, I get it.

I said some time back that we were considering buying a 5th wheel. Well...........before I buy, I have tried to figure out if the truck I have will pull it easily.

First, I got this truck thinking "This thing will pull anything within reason that I will ever pull"...........

BUT, now that I get to looking at actual specific 5th wheels, with actual numbers, and start asking folks at the Cedar Creek Users Group, I'm getting told that the combination of my truck and the trailer I'm looking at WILL NOT WORK!

GEEZ@!!

One problem is that my truck does NOT HAVE the 'required' (ha) door panel plate that gives RAGWR and FAGWR for both axles!! That makes it hard to figure.

Here are the numbers I know.......if you want to use a towing calculation. (When I plug in these numbers the max trailer towing I can get is 5,500 lbs......which I KNOW is b/s, so I'm doing something wrong).

Truck:
weight about 7400 lbs
Truck GVWR 10,000 lbs
Max loaded trailer rating 17,900 lbs
Combined weight rating 24,500
Cargo capacity 2286 lbs

Trailer I'm looking at:
GVCR 16,407
Hitch Weight 2,407
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 12,670
Cargo Capacity 3,678
Tires are Westlake G rated 16"

Hitch will weigh about 250, and with 2 people and STUFF in truck add another 200 or so.

When I plug that into any calculation I can find, I get "nope, no way".
http://changingears.com/index.shtml
http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate/?ccc=3501&dw=230&pw=180&hw=250&tc=100&bd=100&ct=FW

Yet...........if a diesel 6.6L 3/4 ton truck won't pull even a good sized 5th wheel, what am I seeing all over the roads and campsites of America?

This is our LAST trailer. I can NOT make a mistake on this and wish I had gotten a smaller one.

If you have knowledge of this and are bored, let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

Arty
02-06-2016, 02:43 PM
This is our LAST trailer.

I can't help.... Wish I could

BUT- I can tell you this... You said the above 2 trailers ago when you bought a pop up.

:) :) :)

Captain
02-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Ford Superduty and you will not even know you are hooked to a trailer.
Chevy can't touch em in pulling and hauling
Chevy is still my choice in trucks for ride and comfort and light pulling but when you step up to heavy hauling you ain't gonna beat those Fords.

Thumper
02-06-2016, 03:44 PM
This is our LAST trailer.

That can mean only one thing ... the next purchase will be a motorhome! (you can buy a Toyota to tow behind it) ;)

OR .. have you considered a Peterbilt?

johnboy
02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Just looking at hitch weight of trailer(2407 lbs) and cargo capacity of your truck (2286 lbs) says that the trailer is too heavy for the truck. By the time you add 5'er hitch and all the other stuff we normally carry, you will be way over. You're gonna need a 1 ton 3500HD (4020 lbs payload) or even a 1 ton dually (7374 lbs payload) if you want to be super safe. The shame of it is that the 2500HD and 3500HD are exactly the same except for the spring packs. You can add airbags but you still will be over weight according to the door sticker. If you get in an accident you might be in poop.

As for what you see people hauling big units with, it's friggen scary! My truck will tow 2 of my trailers. That's why I went with the 1 ton.

Chicken Dinner
02-06-2016, 04:13 PM
I know you can't be asking me as I don't know the first thing about towing a 5th wheel. I don't much like towing anything. So. It works.

Buckrub
02-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks Johnboy.

I'm on three forums, have been all day, and getting similar answers.
And I ain't buying a new Ford. They are rated less towing capacity for equal truck, than what I have, and .........they are FORDS! Dodge will outpull all of 'em with a 6 cyl diesel..........but I ain't getting one of those either.

So, it's either a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

Thanks.

LJ3
02-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Get Mama what she wants, Bucky. You can do it now or later but you're gonna do it.

Arty
02-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Thanks Johnboy. I'm on three forums, have been all day, and getting similar answers. And I ain't buying a new Ford. They are rated less towing capacity for equal truck, than what I have, and .........they are FORDS! Dodge will outpull all of 'em with a 6 cyl diesel..........but I ain't getting one of those either. So, it's either a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. Thanks.
So basically you are buying a Chevy.

Cause we all know you AIN'T buying a Toyota.

Buckrub
02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
So basically you are buying a Chevy.

Cause we all know you AIN'T buying a Toyota.

To pull a big fifth wheel? I need about 5,000 lbs cargo capacity, a bit more would be better.

Yeah, right...........

Wouldn't mind Mama having one to drive around town and on trips........but can't afford 'em.

Big Muddy
02-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Bucky, I'll stand pat on what I told ya, this morning on the phone....however, if you've got reservations about your situation, take your truck to the trailer dealer, and hook it up and drive it....that'll remove all your doubt, and make everyone who has offered you an opinion, either heros or zeros. ;)

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Trailer dealer is 10 1/2 hours away.............long story.

I'm on a hot lead......on a fix to the whole shebang........but won't know till Monday.

Big Muddy
02-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Go for it !!!!! ;)

Captain
02-07-2016, 12:09 AM
You should have given us the opinion you wanted. That would have made it a lot simple-er
I have a LOT of experience in the towing and hauling and you aint gonna beat that Ford super duty diesel dually
The above statement should mean something as I'm a died in the wool Chevy driver....
I pull loads a LOT heaver than you have listed above and that Ford will pull them up mountain hills and never change gears
Absolutely the stoutest pulling vehicle out there.
But it appears you really didn't want opinions, you wanted us to tell you what you wanted to hear.
I'm sure you are gonna go cruse the internet and find all kinda facts that tell you the Ford ain't worth a shit so have at it.

Thumper
02-07-2016, 01:24 AM
I think I'm a little bit confused. Didn't you already buy the new tow vehicle? I think the conversation here is supposed to be what trailer you can buy that your truck will tow, not what truck you should buy to tow the trailer you want. Correct? Or am I lost?

Big Muddy
02-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I totally agree with Cap on the Ford Super Duty....nobody makes a truck that is comparable to it's towing capacity....they might "claim" they can, but that's bullsheeit.

And, why the h3ll are you buying a trailer, halfway across the country from you???
You ARE gonna have warranty work done, not IF....are you gonna drag that trailer across the country when the sheeiter doesn't flush properly???

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 08:35 AM
You should have given us the opinion you wanted. That would have made it a lot simple-er
I have a LOT of experience in the towing and hauling and you aint gonna beat that Ford super duty diesel dually
The above statement should mean something as I'm a died in the wool Chevy driver....
I pull loads a LOT heaver than you have listed above and that Ford will pull them up mountain hills and never change gears
Absolutely the stoutest pulling vehicle out there.
But it appears you really didn't want opinions, you wanted us to tell you what you wanted to hear.
I'm sure you are gonna go cruse the internet and find all kinda facts that tell you the Ford ain't worth a shit so have at it.

Ford's a great vehicle. The local Ford dealer here is not where I want to buy a truck, though.

Not sure I understand your comments. I asked for opinions from guys I trust about such things. But it seems that if I ask for opinions, I have to take them on face value, or I'm doing something terrible. The internet bears you out in the 1 ton truck line, but I think it's because the Ford has a 4.3 rear end and the Chevy (unless you get work truck model) has only 3.73. If both had same rear end, not sure how they'd stack up.

I said I didn't like 'em, but it's mostly due to this dealer. The old 7.3L diesels were THE BOMB, but the newer ones not so much........and I'm not fond of aluminum bodies. I didn't see any reason to get into all that, just said I didn't much like 'em.

So, you're right the Ford 1 ton is a better hauler, but I still can't buy one if I can find a Chevy that will do the trick. That doesn't mean I don't value y'all's opinions in any way!

If y'all asked me an opinion about telecom, I wouldn't be bothered if you didn't agree with it.......it's just opinions.......

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 08:38 AM
I totally agree with Cap on the Ford Super Duty....nobody makes a truck that is comparable to it's towing capacity....they might "claim" they can, but that's bullsheeit.

And, why the h3ll are you buying a trailer, halfway across the country from you???
You ARE gonna have warranty work done, not IF....are you gonna drag that trailer across the country when the sheeiter doesn't work properly???

http://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2016-forest-river-rv-cedar-creek-36ckts-442396-5

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 08:57 AM
That's not where I'm buying, that's just the first picture I found.

I agreed that the Ford is a better puller at the 1 ton size, due to rear end difference. Not sure it is at the 3/4 ton size with equal rear ends, but it's still a fine truck and they are close even there. If a chevy will pull it, I'd rather have a Chevy. I guess I didn't realize my original question was "which make of truck is best?"......

I've already talked to local dealer. He agrees that he WILL do warranty and maintenance work no matter where it was bought. Forest River (the manufacturer) confirmed this to me. I might not be first in line, but I will get warranty done. Just my guess, but I'd guess that a whole lot of RV's are bought non-local. At least, that's what is said at the User's Group forum. The price I have is a full $29,000 less than the local dealer. Local dealer has even told me he can't match that, and can't come down any further, and he doesn't blame me. That's why I'm buying non-local. I'm at top, if not over, what I can afford, and can't get that nice of a trailer if I buy local.

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 09:04 AM
I think I'm a little bit confused. Didn't you already buy the new tow vehicle? I think the conversation here is supposed to be what trailer you can buy that your truck will tow, not what truck you should buy to tow the trailer you want. Correct? Or am I lost?

You're not confused. It's confusing.

I did buy the truck, two years ago. I thought "This will pull anything made". When I get to checking, no it won't. The trailer we found, that I THOUGHT would be pulled by my current truck.........is too big. Every towing calculation says so. I have 85% of the guys I'm asking that pull this size trailer, saying they agree that it won't work. 15% tell me "I know I'm over weight limits, but I do it anyway". Most of the are on flat ground areas and don't go "out west" or pull in difficult places.

So I investigated a 1 ton truck, found one that's last year's model that is T.O.L. and has a great price, and they are giving me way more for mine that I thought it's worth, so I might trade. Right now, it appears I can trade for same payments, just add back the 2 years since I bought it, to the new loan............I'd give it a 50/50 shot right now. If I do trade, I can get the bigger trailer, and have no pulling worries. If I don't trade, then I will step down from the trailer I posted above and get a smaller one, and keep this truck.

Big Muddy
02-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Okey dokey....gotcha.

jb
02-07-2016, 09:28 AM
You know if the only difference between a one ton and yours are springs and rear end, both of which can be changed out, then why is this not an option ??

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 09:32 AM
You know if the only difference between a one ton and yours are springs and rear end, both of which can be changed out, then why is this not an option ??

That's about the only difference in the SRW models. But a DRW gives me 5575 lbs of payload, instead of the 2285 I have now. That is where the pin weight is figured in. Pin weight, as I said above, is 2407, which by itself is above the cargo capacity of 2285 of my current truck. Going to a 1 ton SRW would bump that to 3900 but that is pushing the limit with passengers, cargo, and knowing that the listed pin weights are maybe 2/3 of actual when loaded...........

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 09:35 AM
And I didn't mean to start a disagreement or discussion on stuff. I was originally just looking to see if anyone agreed or disagreed with what I was being told about my truck NOT being enough to pull that trailer.

Much later in the day, I stumbled onto that new truck possibility.

Maybe I should not discuss what I'm thinking of doing. I have no desire to upset folks, it was just a discussion..........

Thumper
02-07-2016, 10:07 AM
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I do have plenty of worthless opinions. "Personally", I think motor homes are the biggest waste of money known to man, UNLESS you actually USE them. But, to me, there seems to be an economic boundary line that gets crossed once you start getting into the heavy-duty stuff. If you just go "camping" from time to time, a pull-behind makes sense (to me). But once you start getting into the mega-campers, a motorhome makes more sense (again, TO ME). Once you get into the high bucks campers and have to buy a big-assed twin-turbo, mega-horsepower, 5th wheel equipped diesel dually to pull the beast ... you've crossed over into the "motorhome is more practical" area ... AGAIN, MHO.

The beauty of a camper is you can leave it parked in the driveway and use the tow vehicle as your daily driver. Very practical. BUT ... when you want to play "my dick is bigger than your dick" with the boys at the campgrounds and have to have the biggest mega-camper the weight limit your residential streets will legally allow, maybe it's time for a motorhome. Because ... you now have to take out a second mortgage just to buy a big enough hauler to tow the frigging thing. "To me", this wipes out the advantage of having the convenience of a daily driver available when the camper is parked. Once you buy that Peterbilt of a pick-up to haul the behemoth sitting out in the driveway, your extra up-front cost, fuel, maintenance, additional insurance, depreciation and the inconvenience of driving a 12,000 lb. vehicle to pick up a dozen fish hooks, only to find it won't fit into a parking space at Wally-World, I think you've crossed the practicality line and all bets are off. You've now entered the motorhome world and can go back to driving that "Cowboy Cadillac" Silverado 1500 that will ride like a car but still haul your 4-wheeler and cooler to deer camp .... plus mama won't need a step-ladder to get into it.

That said, I know opinions are like assholes. ;)

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't care for a motorhome.

Arty
02-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure you didn't upset anyone.
Except me when you said you wouldn't buy a Ford.

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 10:12 AM
That was too hasty. I would buy one. I just don't prefer them.

Thumper
02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
I think I've found what you need ... and you'll never have to buy another hauler! How 'bout a Freightliner? ;)

http://www.dunedindailyphoto.com/photos/tFrtlnrSprtChss01sm.jpg

http://www.dunedindailyphoto.com/photos/tFrtlnrSprtChss02sm.jpg

Arty
02-07-2016, 10:32 AM
I think I've found what you need ... and you'll never have to buy another hauler! How 'bout a Freightliner? ;) is that a real thing?

Arty
02-07-2016, 10:36 AM
I now see that the only thing you asked was basically "will my current truck pull the trailer I'm looking at". You weren't asking for new truck opinions.

So I'm no longer offended that you don't like Ford's.

Thumper
02-07-2016, 10:47 AM
is that a real thing?

Yeppers! ;)

http://x-assets.autorevo-powersites.com/content/assets/clients/1dc95106-16a6-4227-bfb8-310f8979761f/uploads/634557458732739317.jpg

http://a38898d4011a160a051fb191.gearheads.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/chris-anderson-dodge-sportchassis-p4xl.jpg?e1be4f

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Znhm50MXyXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Jim,

The Freightliner would be IDEAL!! Perfect.........

Course, I'd need an 'Around Town Toyota Truck' to go with it..........then I'd be set!!!

Thumper
02-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Jim,

The Freightliner would be IDEAL!! Perfect.........

Course, I'd need an 'Around Town Toyota Truck' to go with it..........then I'd be set!!!

That would work. ;)

johnboy
02-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Sounds like you are working it out. Good luck with whatever you get.

johnboy
02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
You know, looked at that trailer you are interested in (posted link) and it is pretty friggen big (almost 40'). Do you really need something that size? The same manufacturer makes smaller models in the 34' range which is still pretty big for 2 people and would actually work with the truck you have not to mention being easier to maneuver and find suitable parking spots. Big rigs are nice but you will be limited to where you can go. Anything smaller work for Mama?

Just a thought.

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Would prefer a tad smaller. Can't get the things we want in any other layout (unless we go even bigger). Sold on this brand, lots of reasons. Other issue is, and I've been over this with TT guys and Truck guys........even the smaller trailers that even barely have what we need, the tongue weight is still right at our max.

But I appreciate the constructive thoughts......

johnboy
02-07-2016, 03:54 PM
That's it then. Medium duty truck and a triple axel Prairie Schooner. :D

My old rig:

Thumper
02-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Hey! I remember the truck and the boat ... how come we had to stay in a motel room? ;)

Buckrub
02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
John,

I can't see a plug in the back of that boat.............................................. .........

johnboy
02-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Jim stole it.

Thumper
02-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Stole it??? Heck, I'm the one who FOUND it!