PDA

View Full Version : The travel bug.

Thumper
02-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Has it bitten you?

I LOVE to travel, but due to health and financial reasons, I've stayed pretty much "local" the past 7-8 years. I did hit one of my personal goals in 2009 and have finally made it to all 50 states (including D.C.). As for N. America (other than the U.S.), I've been to ALL the Southern provinces of Canada, but NONE of the Northern provinces. I've been to North Central Mexico, the Yucatan and all over Baja. I haven't made it to Central America, but that is in the works. I've only hit a few countries in S. America, but have hit everyplace imaginable in the Western, Southern and Eastern Caribbean as well as Puerto Rico. I've hit Guam, Taiwan, Pago Pago/Samoa, Japan and the Philippines. I've been to 8 out of 11 S.E. Asian countries. Been all over Russia ... both the European and Asian side. I'm sure I've left out a few places, but I have yet to make it to Africa or Australia/New Zealand. I was REAL close to making it to Australia (have friends there) but just didn't have the money at the time. I've pretty much avoided Europe ... not my thing really, but Lynn is dying to do the touristy thing through Europe before we croak, so that may happen some day.

The problem? I've got the "itch" right now, but I ain't got the scratch. I used to travel alone 90% of the time because Lynn and I don't particularly enjoy the same type of travel. Not to mention the fact we always had to work mutual trips around her vacation time and, since I was self-employed, could pretty much take off any time I wanted. I like to "wing it" through nasty 3rd world countries staying in hostels or village shacks, and she's more into something like The Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu. I've been to Hawaii 4-5 times and about 3-days would have been plenty for me in a lifetime. Just not my thing. We have a trip to Maine for lobster season planned this year and I'm working on a cruise through the Panama Canal (California to Florida or vice-versa), but that will have to be next year since I now have to work around finances AND Lynn's available vacation time. Due to my mobility limitations these days, I pretty much need to have her with me ... so vacations from here on out will be more "touristy" in nature, but that's ok and I can live with it.

I'm not sure of the point of this post ... I think I just have the "itch" and am doing some day-dreaming while typing. Kinda like therapy I guess.

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM
We're going to repeat this year, which we've only done to one island and that's Kauai, and go back to St Lucia this year. Its not the best island from a beach perspective, but its is just a drop dead beautiful place and the diving there is easy and exciting. The people here are about e friendliest in the Caribbean I think. So back we go for two weeks in June. And back to Canada to fish again this year too. Other than trips to Colorado and St Louis to visit family that'll be about it for us this year.

BKB

Thumper
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Ya' think you'll step up the travel once Julie retires ... or pretty much spend the same amount of time away?

Big Skyz
02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Sounds to me like you two need a trip to Panama. You can thank me later. ;) I do have a question for you Jimmy. Since you have seen all 50 states is there any worth visiting twice so to speak? I've traveled quite a bit, the one state I would love to experience again before I'm too old to enjoy it is Alaska. Just curious what state you would revisit if you could go?
http://www.godetour.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/panama-beach.jpg

Chicken Dinner
02-09-2016, 02:26 PM
My bucket list contains a trip to Antarctica as that's the last of the continents I need to have visited them all.

Big Muddy
02-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Postie, my wife retires this year, and Hawaii is on our bucket list....prolly hafta float a loan, but we are sure gonna try to make it. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Ya' think you'll step up the travel once Julie retires ... or pretty much spend the same amount of time away?

At one time I would have said yes we would. Now that grandkids are here, priorities have suddenly changed! We have been talking about spending three months or so in Italy once she retires and I think we'll do that trip. We're looking forward to really spending enough time to get to know different places instead of the usual vacation stuff. We have already talked about starting a savings account specifically for that trip. Now whether or not she'll actually go and spend that much time away from the grands is another story.

Its time I really get busy with the trip Larke and I talked about doing, and that is driving the AlCan Highway to Alaska and spending some quality time both on the way and while we're up there checking out the hunting and fishing opportunities. I want to buy a truck and boat, and truck and small RV, and drive them cross country from here and then on up to Alaska and sell them at there at the end of the trip and fly home, or possibly sell all but one triuck and drive it home. The proceeds of course, would hopefully pay for a big portion of the trip. I think it can be done and one might even find buyers there ahead of time. That's the plan, now we just gotta do it. I think in the next year or two, that trip might become a reality.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Postie, my wife retires this year, and Hawaii is on our bucket list....prolly hafta float a loan, but we are sure gonna try to make it. ;)

Flights are the biggest expense. Man they are high as a cat's back right now (sorry Jim).

Kauai is the place I'd recommend. I've spent time on Oahu, the Big Island, and Kauai and I think it'd appeal to you the most. And rent a house there and get a car and get out and explore. It never made any sense to me that people would go to a place like that and stay at a resort the whole time. Of course, that's my preference, might not be yours.
There's good bass fishing in Kauai too! I caught some big smallies there fishing with a guy named Tom Cristy. He claims his dad played for the King and His Court if you've ever heard of those softball legends that used to travel around.
BKB

DeputyDog
02-09-2016, 02:41 PM
sky, I enjoyed Panama the time I visited there. The one country that really surprised me was Croatia. The coast line there is beautiful and lots of historic cities if you are into things like that. The city of Split is built around the palace of early 4th century Roman Emperor Diocletian and a lot of it is still in use.

jb
02-09-2016, 02:57 PM
I have the time and money to do it, but the interest is just not there. Wife's a lot like me. A week or so is OK, but then it's time to head home.
We have friends that live in Australia that have been here about 5 times, stay a few weeks with us then travel other places in the US. They usually book their flight so the go around the world, find it's cheaper that just back and forth.
Anyway, they just beg us to come down, our winter is their summer so it would be perfect, but it's always been "someday"
I'm only a second generation here in the US, both grand parents came here from Germany and the Netherlands. Still have shirt tail relation in both places, again "someday"
The only problem is my "someday" are running out.
So if it happens, it happens, but neither are really high on my bucket list.

DeputyDog
02-09-2016, 03:11 PM
I could spend a lot of time in Italy. I really loved it when I was there.

Hombre
02-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Jim - I kind of wonder if there are places you could go and get unique items then resell them. You seem to have a knack for finding items people want, and with the unique places you have gone there has to be some market for things that aren't sold mainstream. Anyway to make a vacation partially pay for itself?

Thumper
02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Sounds to me like you two need a trip to Panama. You can thank me later. ;) I do have a question for you Jimmy. Since you have seen all 50 states is there any worth visiting twice so to speak? I've traveled quite a bit, the one state I would love to experience again before I'm too old to enjoy it is Alaska. Just curious what state you would revisit if you could go?

I've been to Alaska three times and it can get really pricey. Unless you're gonna stick around the west coast cities, air travel (bush plane) is the main mode of transportation. As for revisiting states, man, that's a loaded question and it ALL depends on what you're looking for. I love to kick back in areas like Sedona, Arizona for example, but then I can also enjoy Vegas. The big National Parks (Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon areas, etc) are great for sight-seeing, but dang, during vacation season, the tourist traffic can be like downtown New York City! As for road trips, I once took off and hit all back roads from Florida to Las Vegas, then took a different route returning, again on back roads. I camped or slept in my vehicle most nights to save money, then would hit a small hotel from time to time to shower and do a general "reset". A trip that I also liked was another road trip up the West Coast from L.A. to Seattle (Hwy. 101). Just a few years ago, while driving my truck, my favorite load was when I drove from Quebec, Quebec to Vancouver, BC in Canada. Man, I was actually getting paid to make that trip! Oooops, that's not in the States, sorry. Dang, I don't think I could really say. If you're talking hunting/fishing/camping ... it's one thing. Sight-seeing another. Beaches don't do a whole lot for me. They can be beautiful, but I've been around beaches basically all my life. As I sit here, I honestly don't think I can answer your question.

All my life (since my teens), I've had dreams of retiring overseas at 62 years old on just Social Security earnings. After being in Thailand, retiring there has always been my main goal. It started out as Costa Rica and became my second choice, but through the years, half the world had the same idea and the retirees moving there finally raised the cost of living out of sight. Then I set my sights on Belize as a second choice ... the added bonus was it's basically an English speaking country, but the same thing happened there that happened in Costa Rica. Then I set my sights on Panama. It's still relatively inexpensive, but my whole plan upon reaching retirement was to be single. I'm single, yes, but have been with Lynn for 31 years now, so crazy, fly by the seat of my pants retirement plans have pretty much gone out the window. Ill health just adds to the obstacles. ;)

To actually answer your question, I wouldn't have a clue. I like different places for different reasons and like different areas for different reasons ... from being isolated out in God's country, to being in the thick of things in the cities. I guess I'm a bit too diverse in my likes to choose.

Thumper
02-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Jim - I kind of wonder if there are places you could go and get unique items then resell them. You seem to have a knack for finding items people want, and with the unique places you have gone there has to be some market for things that aren't sold mainstream. Anyway to make a vacation partially pay for itself?

Hombre, I've had that same idea a bazillion times, but usually find out via the internet that everything I come up with, is already being done by someone else. Last year I posted about one of the coolest ideas I've come up with so far, but right when I was gearing up to actually do something about it, the economy tanked and my business of 20 years went down the tubes with it ... THEN my medical problems kicked in and I was never able to follow up.

Check this out ... you may remember it. http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?7053-What-cha-think-Should-I-forget-about-it&highlight=wooden+motorcycles

Hombre
02-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Wow, the craftsmanship on those pieces are incredible its a shame it didn't come together the way you planned. I think you're right the internet really has made a lot of stuff available; however, I don't think it has with the kind of stuff you just posted. I think you see a lot of crap knick knack stuff, and stuff that can be mass produced. I'm not sure you see the kind of unique craftsmanship you would find based on your travels.