PDA

View Full Version : Well its about time....

Captain
02-11-2016, 03:17 PM
For Thumper to show back up with all the stuff he bought that I want to buy....
I keep telling him CASE pocketknives but he keeps dropping the ball... :-)

Hombre
02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I told him a while back to keep an eye out for a dimple griswold. Not a word since. Worthless as teats on a boar hog I tell ya. :D

Captain
02-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Yea, between me and Posty we would take every old pocketknife he could find but he's a slack-ass

Thumper
02-11-2016, 05:55 PM
What's my allowable profit margin? I don't work cheap!

Captain
02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Our friendship and you being able to tell folks you know us should be enough.

Thumper
02-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Ha! Whenever a cop pulls me over for anything, the first words out of my mouth when he gets to my window is ... OFFICER, I DON'T KNOW ANYBODY AT GOODHUNTING!!! He usually lets me off with a simple warning. ;)

I was "junk drunk" at that sale. Just TOO much stuff to look at. The fishing lure collection had over 2000 pieces and I was prepared to "cherry pick", but they were going to sell it as a "collection only" on the first day (listed at $3000). Starting today, if it hasn't sold ... they'll be sold separately at $3.00 each. Ammo was being hauled out of there by the truckload! The long guns were walking out, but they required a Concealed carry permit and a FLORIDA driver's license for any handgun sales. Although I have both, I didn't even bother looking at the guns as I just recently finished selling my own. I have a truckload of ammo here, and shipping is such a hassle, I didn't look at that either. Guys were carrying rod/reel combos out by the arm loads. One bedroom was stuffed full of nothing but military items from flight helmets to bayonets. Interesting collection. The a-hole right in front of me grabbed a whole pile of cast iron cookware ... beat me to it by a nano-second! :(

There were about 5 large tool boxes in the garage ... all stuffed full of Snap-On tools. I grabbed a handful of VINTAGE tools for resale, but backed off to let a few rabid buyers have at it for the most part. I did drag home a shitload of smalls ... which is what I actually concentrate on anyway. I don't want stuff for ME ... I want stuff I can SELL easily with no packaging/shipping hassles.

Thumper
02-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Although I came home with a pile of resale stuff, I did find a couple of items that intrigued me. I bought two antique (?) oyster knives. I'm assuming they're hand-made and they do look old, The handles are secured with one slotted and one Phillips machine bolts with the old square nuts Only one has the screw heads visible and the other has the heads and nut ends covered with wood doweling. They are HEAVY for their size at 9 ounces. These things will NOT bend/break!

Anyway, they're probably not worth a lot, but for 50-cents, I had to have them. When it comes to things like this, I just wish they could talk and give me their history. Who made them? When? Where? How were they used? Commercially? Privately? Where have their travels taken them? That sort of stuff. Believe it or not, people collect this type of thing (primitives). I was going to sell them as a set, but I believe I'd do better to separate them.

Whatever the outcome ... I just think they're really cool.

Arty
02-12-2016, 10:43 AM
I'd be interested in them there oyster knives

Thumper
02-12-2016, 11:00 AM
I'd be interested in them there oyster knives

Seriously? Did I say 50-cents? Duh! Dang typo .... I meant I paid $50. Let me figure what kind of profit I need and I'll get back to you. :D

Captain
02-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Naught goezinto naught, carry the one, times by 2, take-a-way 6 equals...

Looks like you will have to pay arty to take them off your hands.

Thumper
02-12-2016, 11:12 AM
You need a new stool buddy ... I think your old one is about worn out. ;)

Hombre
02-12-2016, 12:24 PM
What's my allowable profit margin? I don't work cheap!

Thump I was prepared to offer you a large lump sum; however, I got to thinking. If I did that you'd have to go through figuring you're compound interest (A=P (1+r/n)^nt). on such a large sum. Then after a few yours you'd be interested and want to go back and figure your actual CAGR growth (last year/first year)^(1/total years)-1. Then I got to thinking some more, with how valuable your time is it be save us both time and money if we just made this a cash free transaction.

airbud7
02-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Don't forget Hombre^, Free shipping or no deal.

Hombre
02-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Good Point. Thump - I'm now hiring airbud as my strategic negotiator...please work directly with him.

Arty
02-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Seriously? Did I say 50-cents? Duh! Dang typo .... I meant I paid $50. Let me figure what kind of profit I need and I'll get back to you. :D
Um. How about this. You mail the knives and I'll mail you a STOOL.

Thumper
02-12-2016, 01:43 PM
It's hopeless. I'm surrounded! :(

airbud7
02-12-2016, 01:52 PM
It's hopeless. I'm surrounded! :(

Back Up And......Gimme your oyster knives!!!

;)

Thumper
02-12-2016, 04:17 PM
I meant I'm surrounded by idiots! ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Just post up the link when you put them on eBay and folks can bid or buy them just like anyone else.

Thumper
02-12-2016, 04:42 PM
They've already been shipped. Some sucker up in Virginia expects 'em to be delivered on Monday. (Shhhhh, don't tell him it's a postal holiday) ;)

Captain
02-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Thumper hates auctions on eBay. He buys stuff for 50 cent or a buck, researched it out on sold items from eBay, fixes a price on the item and list it as a buy it now item. If he sees where the same items has sold on eBay for anywhere from 4 to 6 bucks he will throw it up for 5 bucks and not have to worry with the whole bidding process.
Sometimes if he has an unusual item and cannot formulate a buy it now price he will auction it off. But those things drag on. Like sex, he likes a quickie. :D

Thumper
02-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Don't you have some cows to feed? ;)

Arty
02-12-2016, 07:05 PM
They've already been shipped. Some sucker up in Virginia expects 'em to be delivered on Monday. (Shhhhh, don't tell him it's a postal holiday) ;)
A sucker is born every minute !