PDA

View Full Version : GPS Help

jb
02-14-2016, 07:45 PM
I have an old 07 Garmin Street Pilot 340 that needs to be replaced.
Been looking at new Garmin Nuvi 65LM and 66LM.
So what's the difference beside $10.?
We use them for travel and around town to find clients location.
What's youse guy got ??

airbud7
02-14-2016, 08:05 PM
The 66LM has U.S. and Canada street maps.....The 65LM is Lower 49 states only...

Click Here (http://www.gpscompared.net/garmin-nuvi-65lm-vs-66lm/)

Captain
02-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Cheryl's Lexus has the one built in and we purchased updates of it once. But it's easier for us both to use the maps on our iPhones and it connects to the car/truck through blue tooth. We like it better actually as it monitors traffic and sends us around slow or trouble areas.
I see no need for a GPS other than the one on our phones.

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2016, 08:12 PM
So Captain, can you actually look at your iphone gps app on your vehicle's screen?
BKB

Captain
02-14-2016, 08:16 PM
No. It just talks through the Bluetooth connections. The map only shows up on the phone or iPad screen.

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Okay. There's a lot I don't like about the gps apps in vehicles. Namely they don't actually have many real gps featires, Like easy tracking, easy route building when you don't want use the suggested one, making waypoints, etc.
If you use it offroad, you're virtually fucked.

BKB

Thumper
02-14-2016, 08:46 PM
I can hook you up Bubba ... unless you're hooked on the 65 or 66. I have a 50LM with all the toys to go with it. GPS, Windshield Suction Cup Mount, Cigarette Lighter Charging Cable, House Charger, USB Cable (for your updates and house charger), plus a leather carrying case. I also have one of those beanbag, dash mounts as the windshield was so far forward in Lynn's car, we couldn't reach the GPS without having to reach waaaay forward. (I used the suction cup mount in my truck) Anyway, I don't need it anymore since my truck and Lynn's car both have built-in GPS (like Barry, I like the Garmin better). Like Cappy, we use our iPhones for back-up if needed. I was gonna list all of it on eBay, but if ya' think ya' might want it, I'll work you a deal. Truuuuust meeeee! ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Waze. Free App.

DeputyDog
02-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Like Cappy, I just use Google maps on the iPhone.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 12:13 AM
I have a hand held GPS/2-way radio for when I'm off road. I really like Waze as it crowd sources your radar detection. If a cop has been somewhere for more than about five minutes, he'll get reported and a warning pops up.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 08:03 AM
How many cops to you run across when you're off-road? :D

Captain
02-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Arty sold me on Waze while traveling the weekend we visited Conine. I had never heard of it but use it all the time now. Very nice app..

Thumper
02-15-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm downloading it now and will have Lynn do the same. I'm interested in checking it out.

As for the iPhone GPS, I have no real problem IF Lynn is with me to help play navigator, but I like the visual data displayed on the dash (or dash mounted Garmin) when traveling alone.

Question: Anybody here actually register their WAZE account? They're asking for my phone number, etc. to "open a secure account and find WAZE users I may know". What's the purpose? Just so they can send me junk mail/texts? I haven't entered that info although I've downloaded the app.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 09:53 AM
My son downloaded it for me. So, I'm not sure what all information he entered. I don't get any email or texts from them. But, it does display (on the screen) other Waze users. I find this helpful to get any idea of how current the Intel is. FYI, I use a dash mount for my iPhone. They're widely available. Just saying...

Captain
02-15-2016, 10:02 AM
If you don't register you can't connect with all the other axe murders.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Did you sign up Cappy? What's the point of knowing other WAZE users anydamnway?

CD, I'd need to put my glasses on to see my iPhone screen while mounted on the dash. And I have the iPhone Plus! How does seeing other WAZE users relate to timely info? Not sure I understand the connection.

Arty
02-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Waze tells you where traffic is, where cops are hiding, broken down cars on road, obstacles, weather hazards, etc by letting it's users drop real time notifications along their route. The more users (wazers)reporting, the more accurate it'll probably be.
I'm not sure if you can report a hazard, traffic, etc, unless you are registered.

I like it cause it'll tell you where the po-po is.

And it comes up with much better alternate routes than the map in your iphone.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Got it. I've got old eyes myself, but can see the screen fine with my "transition" lenses. In addition to icons for cops and road hazards, it displays other Waze users as an icon on the map. So, you literally know that you're passing another user or there's a user up ahead of you. That way you get a better idea that you're getting real time info.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 10:55 AM
If you think back to your CB days, knowing here the other users are let's you know if you're in a digital "rocking chair".

Thumper
02-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Got it. I guess I'll go ahead and register, then check it out. They do give an option, so I just wanted to know if there's any advantage.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 11:13 AM
What a PITA! I go through 10 pages of the registration process, then it asks for a username. I went through 6 different usernames and got a message on each one that it was already taken. Then I remembered one I used to use years ago when I had my Honda ATV ... "4Traxguy". I entered that and received this message, "Invalid character - use letters & numbers!" After 3 tries, I still get the same message! WTF???

I'm startin' to feel like Bucky! ;)

Captain
02-15-2016, 11:14 AM
I bet you use to get a lot of "fails to follow instructions" on your elementary report card.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Just tell me what "instruction" I failed to use. (or are you talking to Arty?) They ask for a username using letters and numbers ... I enter 4Traxguy and they call me a dumbass and tell me to use letters and numbers! Sheeeesh!

Cappy, you never answered my question ... did YOU register?

Captain
02-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Yes I did and love the app. I will not get on the interstate without it.
And it said to you LETTERS AND NUMBERS. You put Numbers and letters. Dumbass.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Ha! I guess they left out an IMPORTANT word ... like DON'T!

I tried 4Traxguy and they said, "Invalid character - use letters & numbers".

I change it to Fourtraxguy and it was accepted! Go figure.

Oh yeah, and Bite Me! ;)

Thumper
02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Been playing with the set-up. Looks pretty cool so far.

LJ3
02-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Waze is the shit. Good shit, not bad shit. Bad shit was what was passed around at Woodstock. This isn't that, it's better. Well not acid but it's a better GPS. Good shit, Waze is. Doesn't stink at all. And cops, it tells on cops which is funny as hell to me. They can't be lazy anymore and just sit in one spot. They gotta keep moving and work to catch speeders now that Waze is here. Which by the way, is how they got my ass last month. Fuckers!

Thumper
02-15-2016, 01:53 PM
I thought you'd decided to go a little lighter on that "go-pedal" lately. I guess not. How do you afford insurance? ;)

Captain
02-15-2016, 02:28 PM
It's not going to be too many years before you will be driving along in your car and a voice will come over the system and say "you are driving 70 in a 55 if you do not reduce your speed you will be issued a citation". That will happen and with it the copy of the e-citation will be sent to the court system and your insurance company.
Hide and watch.