PDA

View Full Version : The "Purple Paint" law.....

Big Muddy
02-15-2016, 07:47 PM
Mississippi has the "Purple Paint" law, as well....some folks may not be aware of this.

"""If you’ve ever seen a post or tree with a purple stripe painted on it but don’t know exactly what it meant, you should keep your distance.

The color means no trespassing.

“It holds the same weight and the same law violations apply. It’s no trespassing period,” Ashley Pellerin, an agent for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s extension service in Prairie View, Texas, told KETK.

The law began in 1989 in Arkansas as a means for property owners to declare private land. Other states later adopted the law.

In Texas, landowners were constantly replacing “No Trespassing” signs — either by people who didn’t want to acknowledge the signs and tore them down or by those using the signs as target practice said Jonathan Kennedy, landowner and broker.

“People hunting or fishing without the landowner’s consent is a common issue,” said Texas Game Warden Brad Clark.

People might be able to tear down a sign easily, but it is much more difficult to get rid of purple paint on a tree or a post. Kennedy said when the purple paint law was adopted, landowners using the paint were also required to display a sign explaining what it meant. But the explanatory signs were only required to accompany the paint stripe for a year.

“Fast-forward to now, and still a lot of people don’t know what it means but it is still a law,” Kennedy said.

The law indicates that marks must be vertical lines at least eight inches long and one inch wide and between three and five feet from the ground. The marks must also be easily visible.

“The no trespassing purple, a lot of people who are color blind, they can actually see the color purple, so I believe that’s why it was chosen,” said Pellerin.

Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Illinois, Kansas and Missouri also use purple paint, but other states, including North Carolina, Maine, Florida and Idaho, use colors such as orange and lime green to indicate private property.

It pays to know what these colors mean, as a first-degree trespassing charge is a misdemeanor in most states."""

Captain
02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
We got that too...
The article above would lead you to believe that NC uses some other color than purple???? Weird it is purple here too.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Documents/LPAFAQ_2011.pdf

DeputyDog
02-15-2016, 08:14 PM
I had never heard of that. Nice to know.

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Pretty sure it's purple in VA as well.

Arty
02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Pretty sure it's purple in VA as well. I thought it was yellow. But you may very well be correct.

Thumper
02-15-2016, 09:16 PM
That's a little bit misleading unless there's something I'm not aware of. We can use blaze orange on trees or posts, but it has to say, "No Trespassing". Of course, we also use signs, but here's the law for notices on trees or posts:

Conspicuous no trespassing notice is painted on trees or posts on the property, provided that the notice is:

(I) Painted in an international orange color and displaying the stenciled words “No Trespassing” in letters no less than 2 inches high and 1 inch wide either vertically or horizontally;

(II) Placed so that the bottom of the painted notice is not less than 3 feet from the ground or more than 5 feet from the ground; and

(III) Placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than 500 feet apart on agricultural land.

Here's a pretty good site with the laws of all 50 states listed:

https://www.signs.com/blog/state-by-state-guide-to-no-trespassing-laws-signage/

Chicken Dinner
02-15-2016, 09:23 PM
I thought it was yellow. But you may very well be correct.

I stand corrected. It's an "aluminum" colored blaze at least 2" wide and 8" long. No writing required. The Nat'l Forest that borders my hunt club is marked with a red blaze.

Arty
02-15-2016, 09:34 PM
I stand corrected. It's an "aluminum" colored blaze at least 2" wide and 8" long. No writing required. The Nat'l Forest that borders my hunt club is marked with a red blaze. I stand with thee. Virginia brethren.