PDA

View Full Version : Icemaker Wars

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Since retirement, I've become something of the savoir faire of appliance repairmen. They just don't make stuff like they used to. But thanks to youtube, you can look up just about how to do anything.
My wife decided she just had to have this Samsung French door refrigerator freezer a few years ago and the ice maker lasted about six months before it starting freezing the water in a big giant lump of ice. So I fought it for about three months and finally said screw it and gave up. Brooded about it for a long time. Finally last week I went back to war with it. replace the ice maker and the main fridge PCB with a new version that has updated firmware to fix the problem, found and evaporator fan that blows cold air from the freezer up to the icemaker that had gone out and completely clogged up with ice. in pulling out a drawer in the freezer about twenty little ball bearings fell out of the slider (Dad would say "It swarmed on ya") and it took a couple hours of meticulous work to get that put back together. Now, the worthless, cocksucking sonofabitch is happily making ice and I get a little satisfaction every time that useless fucker drops cubes in the tray. I'll never buy another Samsung appliance. They should stick with TVs.
I will do this work for others for $600 dollars an hour plus room and board for the week it'll take me to complete the repair.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2016, 11:06 AM
I love some of those YouTube videos. I had a weed whacker crap out on me a couple of years back. I called a local small engine guy and he wanted almost as much to diagnose the problem as I paid for the damn thing. A google search made me pretty confident that it was a carb problem caused by the damn corn lobby so I tried YouTube thinking I'd give it a whirl myself. With a stroke of luck I found a video of my exact make and model with a suspected carb problem and commence to watching. It starts all good as he removes the cowling and starts to remove the carb. About a minute in, he reaches over to his tool bench, grabs a sledge hammer and smashes the thing to pieces, curses the Jap piece of crap and says the fix is to go buy a Stihl.

HideHunter
02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
^^^^like^^^^ sounds like me as a mechanic. ;)

I had never fooled with dismantling, cleaning and lubing my fishing reels.. My Stradic developed a "catch" and one of my Abus worm gear went. There's a guy over in Des Moines who is pretty much world famous and is the warranty center for a lot of companies.. Dropped the two off when I happened to be there. Cleaned and lubed the Stradic - replaced a $3 gear in the Ambassdeur - $50 + $12 shipping.. Enter YouTube.. cleaned and lubed a dozen spinning reels for the investment of a little solvent and a $3 tube of grease.. Haven't tackled the baitcasters yet..

Thumper
02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
My problem is, I can't STAND paying someone else to do something I can do myself.

What gripes my ass now is, with my back the way it is, I can't even lift the toilet to change a wax ring anymore. The garbage disposal went out and I can't even get under the sink to fix it. What REALLY gripes my ass is I have a 15 HP riding mower and another elebenty-bazillion $$$ worth of power lawn equipment, yet I now have to pay somebody to cut my grass! The list is endless. ARRRGGGHHH! :(

The one thing I do NOT mind is, an oil/filter change at my Toyota dealer is $12.95 (oil change & tire rotation is $17.95). Heck, I can't even do it myself for that!

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2016, 12:27 PM
I never worked out what mine cost me, but I bought a service package when I bought my truck and for the first four years my oil changes and filters are free. And the dealers has a Engines for Life program that as long as I keep up the maintenance the engine is warrantied for the life of the truck.

BKB