PDA

View Full Version : Catfishing

quercus alba
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Due to the lack of public fishing water, it looks like the bulk of my fishing will be for catfish. I'm going to sour some chops to use for chum. I traditionally use chops, water, yeast and anise oil.

Anybody else got any other sure fire recipes they'd be willing to share?

Captain
02-17-2016, 09:32 AM
As far as bait goes if there is a better bait than chicken liver and gizzards I don't know it.
I have never chummed for them however when I was a kid a old man up home use to take a ladies stocking and put shrimp and anise oil and use that as an attractant.

airbud7
02-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Me and a Buddy used a pot bellied pig(gutted) once in the savannah river, tied it to a concrete block and tossed it from an old barge, came back the next morning and there must have been 10000 Big ass turtles on that barge diving down for a meal...We said fuck it and rode the river all day.

Thumper
02-17-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm sure chum recipes have progressed over the years, but when I was a kid (12-15 yrs. old), I loved to spend my Friday/Saturday nights just sitting on the lake bank with a buddy and catching catfish all night long. I used to carry a can of cheap cat food and an ice-pick with me. As soon as I got to the lake, I'd punch a bunch'a holes in the can and chunk it out to the area I was gonna fish. I guess that's not a very ecology-minded method these days, but I didn't think much about it in the early-60's. I will say, I caught TONS of catfish, but have no clue if my "chum pot" had anything to do with it.

Big Muddy
02-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Last couple of weekends, I've been catching really nice 3-5 pound channel cats off my lake house pier with yo-yos, using plain ole chunks of cheap hot dog weenies, sprinkled with garlic powder.

BarryBobPosthole
02-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Well, first you put a weinie in a cheetohs bag, shake it real good and leave it over night, then you......

BKB

DeputyDog
02-17-2016, 01:07 PM
We always used chicken livers.

Captain
02-17-2016, 01:10 PM
The amazing part to this thread is that neither Thumper or Posty commented after I mentions using "lady's stockings and Shrimp" .... ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Birddog and his Dad have made stink bait for years. If you're nice he might make an exception and give you his recipe. I think it involves stinky cheese, shad, and aged in a barrel for some time to get really stinky. Bring Your Own Clothespin.

BKB