PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another pup, any ideas?

Bwana
02-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Though I would prefer to wait until my old dog passes away, I'm getting pressured to find a replacement before that sad day comes.

We will most likely get another lab but have to admit that when my uncle informed me of the pudelpointer breed I was VERY intrigued, or at least I was until I learned how much they ask for those pretty little pups. It appears that the breed would fit our needs quite well but I just can't bring myself to pay big bucks for a dog. Trust me, I realize a good dog is worth it's weight in gold but I just can't pay an arm and a leg for one. It goes against my frugal nature.

I realize it is a long shot given how far away most of you dufes live from the north country, but do any of you folks know someone who raises good dogs (Read: small framed labs and I don't need registration)for a reasonable price?

Big Muddy
02-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Get yourself a working dog. ;)

Chicken Dinner
02-17-2016, 08:08 PM
I can't help with any specific recommendations due to the distance. You might try a breed specific rescue organization. If you've got the time to be choosey, I've seen situations where somebody got a hunting dog instead if a house dog and it just didn't work out.

Captain
02-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Hillary barks pretty good. I hope she will be available and not busy soon... :D

Thumper
02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Would you consider a cat? I'll pay the shipping! :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-17-2016, 09:08 PM

Captain
02-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Bwana, was your ears burning today?
I met an man from your state while I was working at BP today. He said he knew you or of you and your work. He was Burnhart or Burchard (????) he was shopping guns and asking a zillions question but mentioned he was just looking as he was from ND and could not buy here. He was (or maybe still is) a Senator.?
You know him???

Bwana
02-18-2016, 12:10 PM
BM - that is quite the coonhound and I always wanted a coonhound, especially after reading "Where the Red Fern Grows."
CD - good suggestion but the wife and daughter want a puppy so will have to see if that is even an option. I've never heard of a rescue place here in ND other than the local pounds.
Kribbs - send all you want to get rid of this way...I could use some more practice at moving targets.
BBP - Not interested
Cappy - I know who he is and have dealt with him during legislative sessions. Senator Burckhard from Minot.

Will continue to look.