PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning, guy style

Bwana
02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
In an effort to prepare for my youngest son's upcoming high school graduation my wife has told me to start cleaning up the garage. Even though we are a few months out she knows how quickly (not) I move at such things.

Anyway I agreed to do what I can this early in the game & decided the first priority would be to get rid of all the empty shotgun hulls that were laying around. So here is my first attempt which resulted in a fine pail of shotshells ready for the upcoming trap season. 😀

Since my first attempt was such a success I've filled a few more pails so I've now reduced the clutter by 2200 rounds. I promised to do even more c"cleaning" once I get some more supplies.

jb
02-24-2016, 12:49 PM
That's a good start, you should burn through those in the first week or so.:beerbust
Hope the weather cooperates and lets you get to the trap fields early this year.
I'm currently shooting a winter league, so I do have a jump on the season coming up
PS: for some reason I can't get good reloads out of AA's, I've limited my reloading to only Remington hulls, Gun Clubs and STS.

Bwana
02-24-2016, 03:10 PM
That is strange jb as I am having the opposite problem. The AA hulls load just fine but I am having trouble getting the primers to seat properly on some of the Remington hulls. Got so frustrated I sorted them all out and gave them to a friend. I HATE having problems with my reloader that cause me to have to stop, back each shell up a station, and then try to get things functioning properly again. I've tried different types of primers but for some reason I'm still having the issue.

So, how is the new gun working? Hopefully like the work of art that it is.

jb
02-24-2016, 03:31 PM
I think the brass base on the AA are much better at accepting new primers than the steel base on the cheaper Remingtons.
My MEC 9000H has no problem pushing in the new primers on steel, even the oversized Euro ones.
My problem with AA's was getting a good crimp. If I adjusted it for AA, then it would not do the Remingtons. I have more Rem. than Win. so I set the crimp for them.
What I am finding is that if I look for good prices on shells, it's almost the same as I can reload right now with the cost of powder and shot, so I've stocked piled enough flats to see me through the whole year unless the cost of reloading comes down.
New gun shoots very well, have put almost 800 rounds through it, should be over a thousand by the time our trap season opens in late April.