PDA

View Full Version : Its personal this time....

BarryBobPosthole
03-11-2016, 10:10 PM
I thought i had 'the squirrels'.

Symptoms:

1. My garbage disposal, the overhead light over the kitchen sink, and an outlet all went out at the same time.

2. I've been hearing squirrels romp across the roof like a troop of mongols lately.

I figured I had squirrels eating at my wiring. So I spent part of my day today inspecting every square inch of attic and crawlspace making sure fucking rodents weren't going to burn my house down.

Then i got down to troubleshooting. Its a bad wall switch where the electrical contractor married two circuits together that shouldn't have been. They're on separate breakers but are in series and thus so are the breakers protecting nothing.

So there ya go.

Fixes coming tomorrow.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Are they having a zoomba class up there?

Thumper
03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm kinda busy right now ... can I read this thread later?

BarryBobPosthole
03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Are they having a zoomba class up there?

Some days it sure sounds like it!

When Garth Brooks ex old lady was my neighbor she used to hire The Skunk Whisperer to come trap them out because they'd get in her house all the time. He'd take hem somewhere and release them. Now that she's gone its up to me, my pellet gun, and the Coopers to keep them thinned out and none of us are doing our job. We might have to contract Sandy out before this is all over.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-12-2016, 09:48 AM
The squirrels in my yard literally run away when I open the door. Of course, they don't run when it's anyone other than me and I still can't keep them out of my tomatoes.

Captain
03-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I keep a 20 gauge Ithaca side by side at my back door and bust every tree rat that gets within range of this place.

Posthole get the Tomcat mouse poison blocks. Note the little small hole in the center. Take a finish nail and drive it into a tree high enough where a dog cannot get to it and put one of those block on the nail. The squirrels will eat them and pets are safe. 6768

Thumper
03-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Youse guys are dufebutts. Our attack cat takes care of our squirrel problem. ;)

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Cat-Named-Garfi-Looks-Perpetually-Angry-Photos-462220-7.jpg

Captain
03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
There's no way your house cats have ever been hungry enough to kill a mouse much less a squirrel. You taking lying lessons from Hillary?

Thumper
03-12-2016, 10:23 AM
If you want to learn something ... why not learn from the best? ;)

HideHunter
03-12-2016, 10:35 AM
I keep a 20 gauge Ithaca side by side at my back door and bust every tree rat that gets within range of this place.

Posthole get the Tomcat mouse poison blocks. Note the little small hole in the center. Take a finish nail and drive it into a tree high enough where a dog cannot get to it and put one of those block on the nail. The squirrels will eat them and pets are safe. 6768

And I can elaborate.. not so much on squirrels (just never tried it) but rats/mice. I used the Tomcat for several years with reasonable success.. They finally got to where they wouldn't eat it. For more money.. Tomcat makes a bait called "Jaguar". It's red instead of green. Different poison and a single feeding will do it. Takes several feedings with the Tomcat. Been using about a year and it's really cleaned their clocks around here.

Thumper
03-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I have a dumb question. Since there are actual squirrel hunting seasons, is it even legal to set out poison specifically aimed at killing squirrels? I've never really thought about that angle.

BarryBobPosthole
03-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Anybody know if the bait affects any raptors that'd eat the poisoned squacks?

BKB

HideHunter
03-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Thump - "technically" any use of poisons outside labeling is not legal.. Squirrels are game animals.. so, no. There's literal tons of fly bait being sold to kill 'coons now.. It ain't pretty - but it's effective..

There is a chance for secondary poisoning with most rodenticide.. Usually only if the stomach is eaten.. As I said, I've never used it on squirrels - but I have both horned and barred owls here nightly.. I think it's fairly rare.

Big Muddy
03-12-2016, 12:33 PM
I got your Squirrel Exterminator, right here.....she's just got her eyes closed because she's devising her next plan of attack. ;)

Captain
03-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Here it is legal to shoot any animal that is destroying your property no matter if it's in season or not. If you raise chickens and a owl or hawk is killing them you can bust their ass.... If a squirrel is chewing on your house bust him.
I was just telling you how you can do it without shooting.

Thumper
03-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Here it is legal to shoot any animal that is destroying your property no matter if it's in season or not. If you raise chickens and a owl or hawk is killing them you can bust their ass.... If a squirrel is chewing on your house bust him.
I was just telling you how you can do it without shooting.

How 'bout a Bald Eagle or a Spotted Owl or if'n ya' gots Snail Darters in your well? ;)

HideHunter
03-12-2016, 07:47 PM
You're working too hard at this... Pellet gun - problem solved:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3930/15246399470_63bff9f7be_z.jpg

Captain
03-12-2016, 08:28 PM
How 'bout a Bald Eagle or a Spotted Owl or if'n ya' gots Snail Darters in your well? ;)

Sure, why not. There is no law that requires you to allow eagles or any other wildlife to kill your calfs or sheep.

Thumper
03-12-2016, 08:30 PM
That kind'a looks like Spotted Owl in ol' Hidey Ho's cast iron cookin' pan there! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-12-2016, 09:13 PM
My Dad told a story of he and one of his brothers were camped and took nothing but lard, a pot, and a small sack of flour. They'd had no luck of any kind and adter a day pr two one of them killed an owl, which they cleaned dustec with flour and fried. He said it was horrible and tough as a boot.

BKB

Thumper
03-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Ha ha! Yep P-hole, years ago my buddy and I were headed out into the California desert to shoot a truckload of jack-rabbits. At the last minute, my son and his mother decided they wanted to go with us. We knew they'd be miserable with the heat and nothing to do while we hunted, but we let them tag along. My son (who was maybe 3-4 years old at the time) asked what we'd do with the rabbits we killed. We normally left them for the buzzards, but I decided that would be a good time to teach him that you don't kill anything you don't plan to eat. We killed about a bazillion desert jacks that day, but only brought two back with us (and told him that's all we got that day). I dragged those nasty things home and cooked 'em up for supper that night so he and I could share the bounty. I'd have been better off dragging home an old tumbleweed and makin' tumbleweed soup! In fact, I'd have rather eaten one of Bucky's boots!

I don't remember what sort of story I told him, but we ended up makin' a beeline for McD's and he had a Happy Meal instead.

Big Muddy
03-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Agreed, Thump....some buddies and I went out to New Mexico a few years ago to hunt desert mule deer....one of my buddies shot a big ole jack, and decided to cook it....he boiled that dang thing all one day and part of the next day over a hot campfire....the meat never even came of the bone....when he took it outta the pot, I swear it looked bigger than when he put it in....he tried eating it, but couldn't even chew it. ;)