PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation.

Thumper
03-16-2016, 06:57 AM
I took Lynn's car to the car wash yesterday afternoon and while I was sitting in the waiting area, there was myself, an older Yankee dude (heavy Yankee accent) and two black ladies (nobody else there). They were all wearing their "I voted early" stickers. The Yankee mentioned the stickers and a discussion started about whom they voted for. The Yankee voted for Hillary and the two black ladies voted for Sanders. Nothing earth shattering, I simply found it interesting to hear their banter and reasons for voting as they did. I didn't enter the conversation, I just listened. I will admit though, my blood pressure was higher when I left than it was when I got there. Still, it was a bit of very interesting and educational eavesdropping.

HideHunter
03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
See - now that would fascinate me.. I've tried to get people to tell me "why I am a Democrat/Republican".. (I think I even tried it here once). Usually it's pretty anticlimactic.. and hinges on "I hate the other party". I have a few friends who are Democrats. Most are Democrats because they are Union.. Or have (what I call) the "union mentality". Most are as "conservative" I am. I do have several acquaintances who are lesbians.. They're Democrats.. ;) Politics and religion and monofilament and braid and pointers and flushers .. I'll never get a enlightened conversation without someone getting mad. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Chances are, if you have to sit in a waiting room talking to blue hairs at a carwash, while some other dude washes your car, you're a Republican.

You're welcome.

That's the best I can do.

BKB

Thumper
03-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeppers, that's something I used to do in the driveway, but just can't do any more. Heck, they wash/vacuum the car, hand dry, wipe down the interior, clean all the windows inside and out and Armor All the tire sidewalls (even offer a choice of air freshener) ... all for $10. ($10.70 w/tax) ... plus ya' gets a guaranty that they'll re-do it for free if it rains within 24 hours! (heck, if you played the game right, it rains every frigging day during the summer) ;)

Oh yeah, and there's free coffee in the waiting room .. but I don't drink the stuff.

It's like oil changes. I used to do that in the driveway. Never again. Heck, the Toyota dealer changes the oil/filter for $12.95 (no appointment needed, guaranteed in/out in 29 minutes or it's free) and will throw in a tire rotation for another $7.00. (same deal, free coffee)

Us Republicans ain't dummies. :D

quercus alba
03-16-2016, 10:40 AM
I used to be republican but I can't tell the difference between them and the democrats anymore. Sure the political stances differ somewhat but both are party oriented and care nothing about their constituents. I usually vote republican for the simple reason they're more conservative in key areas that are important to me, but not always. Guess I'm liberteapublicancrat

Thumper
03-16-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty much with you Q/A ... believe it or not, my biggest issue is gun control. Other than that, it's pretty much a coin toss.

I DO think we really need to get a handle on the immigration problem ... and by that, I mean the illegal immigration. For the life of me, I could never understand how someone can get a pass and even rewarded while breaking the law. The whole thing baffles me.

Oh yeah, and I am totally, 100%, anti-frigging union!

HideHunter
03-16-2016, 11:17 AM
I usually vote republican for the simple reason they're more conservative in key areas that are important to me, but not always.

Well put White.. Best "test" I have found.. In Iowa primaries you can only vote for people in your own declared party. When I originally registered to vote, I registered Independent. Unfortunately, especially in rural Iowa, there are no Independent candidates. So, mostly because of "local" issues I found myself bouncing back and forth.. Finally, it became obvious most of the candidates I felt I could support were Republican.. Been "that" for probably 40 years now.

Like you Thump - My major, number 1 issue is gun control. Largely because, fighting "this" is the one thing, that *really* means anything to me, either party has accomplished (so far).

Captain
03-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Chances are, if you have to sit in a waiting room talking to blue hairs at a carwash, while some other dude washes your car, you're a Republican. You're welcome. That's the best I can do. BKB
Sounds to me like there was THREE democrats in that car wash to ONE republican. I guess the difference was the democrats were looking for someone else to pay for their car wash and Thumper was paying for his on....

Thumper
03-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Actually, they drove off without paying. They figured the owner made too much money, so he owed it to them anyway. :)