PDA

View Full Version : In like a lion

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 10:04 AM
....out like a t-rex.

The wind has been sweeping down the plain here, blowing like a two dollar hooker.

And here come a late freeze this weekend, how much you wanna bet.

We must've really pissed somebody off.

BKB

Big Muddy
03-24-2016, 10:23 AM
I'll gladly swap weather with you, Postie....I'm still riding thru a 1/2 mile of flood water, just to get to high ground....my house is high and dry, thankfully, but most roads around here are still flooded, and the rivers and bayous are receding very slowly, after the 14 inch deluge.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Well you know we have springtime rain here. Last year in May we had 8 days of sunshine and flooding everywhere. That broke about a three year drought by the way. Our lakes went from very low to overflowing in three weeks.

Its the extremes of weather that I'm talking about. Seems like extrem weather is happening all over the country.

All I wanna do is get a garden in!

BKb

jb
03-24-2016, 10:51 AM
What was once all gone, came back. Forecast says by the time it's done we'll get 9", a real 9" not a Thumper 9:hello

Big Muddy
03-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Speaking of gardens....a few years ago, a buddy, who lives about 4 miles north of me, caught a warm spell, and planted his sweet corn in Feb....it got about 4 inches tall, and was hit with about 2 inches of snow....he said it turned completely yellow, but survived, and he made the best sweet corn crop he ever had.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 11:04 AM
You can likely get away with that in your zone. Here, Good Friday is sort of the unofficial garden planting day and it is often iffy.
Birddog and I are fishing tomorrow and its expected to be a balmy 68. Then on Easter Sunday its dropping to around 33. One hopes its only 33 anyway.

But I'm busy all weekend so I'll get my stuff in next week. And yet another year has gone by without me growing a winter garden.

BKb

Thumper
03-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Bite me Bubba! ;)

Man, we didn't even have a winter here this year. I think it got kinda cold for maybe 3 days, but that was about it. Seems like the rest of the country had some crazy weather, cold, rain, wind ... you name it, youse guys got hammered. Since it never really got cold here, I'm thinkin' the biggest crop we'll have this year is skeeters!

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Chicken Dinner
03-24-2016, 11:11 AM
You can likely get away with that in your zone. Here, Good Friday is sort of the unofficial garden planting day and it is often iffy. Birddog and I are fishing tomorrow and its expected to be a balmy 68. Then on Easter Sunday its dropping to around 33. One hopes its only 33 anyway. But I'm busy all weekend so I'll get my stuff in next week. And yet another year has gone by without me growing a winter garden. BKb

Mother's Day here. But, it can still be a bit iffy.

Big Skyz
03-24-2016, 11:11 AM
It is kind of a crazy year for weather. Normally we are still under plenty of snow and ice. If anything the weather is too nice out here. If we don't get a lot more snow we might be hurting for water come this summer. I do have to admit though it feels pretty darn good running around here fishing with temps in the 50's. Picture of the Missouri River near here yesterday. I believe it was around 52 degrees. Man did it ever feel nice!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Missouri%20River%203-23-16_zpszoa5arbf.jpg

Big Skyz
03-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Fishing was pretty decent as well. Ignore the discoloration, that's from sitting on ice in the cooler.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy%20Adams%203-23-16D_zpsxrx97qwl.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Troy, whats your favorite way to eat those salmonids? Kokanee and brookies are about the only ones I've had that I care for, but those were mostly fried.

BKb

Big Skyz
03-24-2016, 11:25 AM
My favorite way is just the way these are going to get eaten. I clean them and then drop them off with a family that loves to eat trout. :) I can't stand them. With one exception. I really don't mind smoked trout. That is about the only way I can gag trout down.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 11:29 AM
I like smoked salmon too. But I guess My taste is a bit like yours with these things.

Trav and I have a buddy that would eat a door knob if you could roll it in corn meal and fry it. When we go trout fishing in Arkansas on the White and Norfork, he always fries up a few messes of them. When they are fried VERY fresh this way, they are actually pretty good.

BKB

Thumper
03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Lynn loves trout, but it's a bit "oily" for me I suppose. Although I DO eat fish, I don't care for any sort of fish that TASTES like fish. I'm much the same as P-hole's buddy, roll it in flour or cornmeal, fry it, and I'll take some of those doorknobs! Just don't dip 'em in fish flavor! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm crappie hunting tomorrow morning with Mr Birddog and we're going to a place that's a lead pipe cinch to produce a mess for our table tomorrow night.

I have thought for a long time now that walleye were the best eating fish. Now I'm leaning back towards crappies now that we've started actively hunting for them.

BKB

Big Skyz
03-24-2016, 04:55 PM
I think Crocodile Dundee sums up my feelings on trout as table fare better than I do. He was referring to guana, but trout/guana...same/same.

Crocodile Dundee: ... "Well, you can live on it, but it taste like sh*t. "