PDA

View Full Version : We're Votin'!

BarryBobPosthole
03-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Okies are going to vote this fall on changing some of the most archaic alcohol laws in the whole country. Hell, maybe even the whole hemisphere.

Here's a summary:
In Oklahoma you can't:

Sell beer over 3.2% by weight cold
Sell beer over 3.2% by weight anywhere but a liquor store
Sell beer over 3.2 % by weight on Sundays
Sell wine or liquor in grocery stores

Now, I put "3.2% by weight" in there for a reason. Most 'strong beers' are about 4-6% BY VOLUME. The real difference in alcohol content when you calculate it by weight is much less than most folks think. 5% by volume is about 3.9% by weight.

All that to point out that the law really isn't about how drunk a person can get and do something stupid like, well sin or something. Its about creating a product monopoly for both grocers and liquor stores. People here go to great lengths to drive across borders even to buy strong beer. Any time my relatives come down from Missouri they bring me strong beer. They feel sorry for me.

And some brewers, like New Belgium for example, won't brew alcohol level specific beers so they won't even selling here.

The laws are stupid and accomplish nothing as far as public benefit or safety. But they've been hard as hell to repeal because of the benjamins involved in the regulation of it.

So now we get to vote to change it!

It'll pass by a landslide.

BKB

Thumper
03-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Sell wine or liquor in grocery stores

We have that stupid one here. You can buy beer and wine in a grocery store, but not liquor. The grocery stores simply divide the liquor section off with a wall to one side of the store and put in a new door. As long as you have a door entering the grocery store and a door going into the "liquor store" (with a wall between 'em), it's ok. Even Sam's has a separate section with an extra door. Can you spell STOOPID! ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-29-2016, 10:30 AM
I remember being somewhere in Florida 20-30 years ago where you couldn't buy cold beer at the grocery store. Of course, they all had these machines out front that would ice your beer down in a couple of minutes for $.50. Stupid laws are, well, stupid.

DeputyDog
03-29-2016, 04:31 PM
In Indiana you can't buy carry out on Sunday's. Grocery stores can sell beer, wine, and liquor, but not cold. You can buy cold beer in liquor stores but not cold pop. But there are pop machines right outside.