PDA

View Full Version : The Yammy lives !!!!.....

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Well, the flood water finally receded enough at the lakehouse for me to get into my enclosed boat shed, where my jon boat and Yamaha motor had gotten trapped by the flood water....when I opened the door, I was shocked....it was BAD !!!....boat and motor were upside down, in 8 feet of water, and had been submerged for nearly two weeks....we lost nearly everything inside the boat house, except all my crappie fishing poles, and I found every one of them, thank goodness.

My helper and I finally winched the boat and motor onto the dock....it was full of water, and a heavy mofo....I removed the Yamaha, and brought it home to my shop to access the damage.

I removed the spark plugs, and set the motor in front of my big shop fan to dry it out, as much as possible....I removed, drained, and cleaned all the fuel lines and filter, as well as the lower unit oil.

Then, I just let it sit in front of the shop fan for about six hours....then, I reassembled everything, and added fresh fuel, with SEA FOAM added to it, of course.

That Yammy was submerged for nearly two weeks, and I could not believe it, but it cranked on the first pull !!!....I swear it runs better than before !!!....this is the second time the Yammy has been submerged....the first time it went under water, it was running and hot, and even survived that ordeal, so I just had to attempt to bring it back to life, one more time.

Even the trolling motor and battery charger are still working just fine....my worst losses, so far, are 2 tackle boxes, new electric fillet knife, tool box, and 2 dozen new yoyos....I suppose all that stuff is on the bottom of the lake.

However, one bright spot is, I recovered someone's brand new Coleman cooler, which floated into my backyard....there's no name on it, so..................;)

Chicken Dinner
03-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Sweet! Too bad one of those Yeti's didn't float into your backyard.

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 10:32 AM
^^^^^YOU GOT THAT RIGHT^^^^^ !!!!! ;)

Thumper
03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
However, one bright spot is, I recovered someone's brand new Coleman cooler, which floated into my backyard....there's no name on it, so..................

What'chutalkin'bout Willis? Sounds like there's a name on it to me. Do the right thing and dig through the local phone book, find the nearest Coleman and drop it off on their doorstep. ;)

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Boy, you been snortin' too much sushi. ;)

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 11:12 AM
DAY'UM, just looked at the radar, and we're getting hit, again, with another rain event almost like two weeks ago....just when things were drying out and looking up....now, the weather ho's are saying 3-5 inches of rain for us, over the next 3 days.

I'm gettin' "crappie withdrawal symptoms"....I NEED a fishin' fix !!! ;)

Thumper
03-30-2016, 11:23 AM
I had a 20' boat docked behind a girlfriend's house years ago. She lived on the coast and had a dock on the waterway to the Gulf. They had a HUGE storm go through there and I called and asked her to run out to check the boat and turn the bilge pump on for a while as it was not automatic. She called the next day to tell me my boat sunk! I asked her if she'd turned the pump on and she said she didn't check it because she didn't want to get her hair wet! ARRRGGGHHHH!!! WIMMINS!

Remember, this is SALT water! I called my mechanic buddy up there to see if he could raise the boat for me since I wouldn't be able to get up there until the weekend. He told me to leave it submerged until I was ready to start work on it. Once they're in salt water, things go to shit REAL fast once air hits 'em. It's best to leave 'em where they are until you have the wrenches laid out ready to go to work. I had a 115 hp Merc. and once the fluids were changed, hoses flushed and carbs cleaned, she cranked right up. Shortly after that, I did have to replace a coil, but the others lived somehow. I did re-wire the boat later on and replaced the gauges 'cause I knew they weren't going to last long.

Thumper
03-30-2016, 11:24 AM
....I NEED a fishin' fix !!! ;)

Have you considered sushi? :D

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Not in my wildest dreams !!! ;)

Captain
03-30-2016, 02:18 PM
I had a 20' boat docked behind a girlfriend's house years ago.

I can sorta go with the "I had a boat" part, but I call bullshit on the girlfriend part of the story. When you threw in a girlfriend part I chalked the whole story up to a lie. ;) Eddie, hope you get it all dried out soon! Good news on the motor.