PDA

View Full Version : This Might Be My Favorite Cover

Big Skyz
03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Normally I'm not a big fan of cover songs. However, I do like to think my taste in music is fairly diversified. I like all kinds of styles of music. There will likely always be a part of me that is a bit of a metal head. This song although done by a heavy metal band stays pretty true to the original in many ways. Very surprising considering the original is by Simon and Garfunkel. Even stranger still a heavy metal band doing a song called "The Sounds of Silence". This won't be for everyone, but like it or not, the guy can sing, and I personally like his voice. I think he brings some serious emotion and power into the song. Give it a listen and try to do it with an open mind. It's really pretty good. I'm starting to like it as much or more than the original.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u9Dg-g7t2l4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thumper
03-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Yep, I like it. I'm not crazy about looking at him, but that's just me. A big boost is the full orchestra backing him up ... kind'a Moody Blues'ish. Great song!

Big Skyz
03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
I hate the piercings and think they look ridiculous, but that guy can really belt a song out.

Thumper
03-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Agreed 100%!

jb
03-30-2016, 01:24 PM
I'll go with the original !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

Thumper
03-30-2016, 01:43 PM
That song (as well as the others on the soundtrack) will always remind me of a night in Mississippi. I went on a double date with my brother and we went out with two sisters. The gal I was with was named Diedra S......, and to this very day, I think she was one of the most beautiful gals I have ever SEEN in my life, much less dated. They were from Burmingham, Alabama and were in Vicksburg visiting family for the Christmas holidays in 1967 (just days before my 16th birthday). I 'bout crapped my pants when she agreed to go out with me, then I set her sister up with my brother.

I drove my dad's brand new Pontiac Bonneville that night and we drove to Jackson, MS to see the new movie, The Graduate. She and I hit it off pretty well and I forced my brother to drive on the return trip so I could get her into that huge back seat! Man-o-man, that girl was absolutely gorgeous! Saw her a few times while her family was in town, but once they left, I never saw her again. :(

LJ3
03-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Agree. It's a great cover and really does justice to the original while kinda making their own thing as well. I don't like much of their other stuff but this really resonated with me.

Here's another cover of an oldie but goodie that I really like. Simple Man is one of my favorite songs of all time. Dude, can sing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rgFQ6WmxdMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Muddy
03-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Ya'll DO know that guy looks just like Howie Mandell. ;)

Good song, though.

Big Skyz
03-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Len, that is one of my other favorite covers. I liked that cover by Shine Down so much I bought the CD only to discover the rest of the album just as good if not better than the cover song. I love it when I get surprises like that. In fact I have a couple Shine Down CD's now.