PDA

View Full Version : 40 Years Ago Today - Presence

LJ3
03-31-2016, 09:55 AM
40 years ago (how the hell did THAT happen?) Led Zeppelin released their album, Presence. This is definitely a desert island album for me. Many hours of air guitar in my room are associated with this recording.

I'm listenting to the whole album in my office today. Fuck 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlRjjGc6pJA&list=PLQ5ViwnWZ_8rL9INjBkpk_qNvF3Lx4hKq

BarryBobPosthole
03-31-2016, 10:41 AM
"Presence" is one that I never paid a lot of attention to. Led Zep's angst during that time kind of turned me off to them and the non-concert/riot at their show in Tampa in '77 caused me to kind of unofficially boycott them for a while.

But conincidentally I was rocking to "When the Levee Breaks" to start my day this morning.

BKB

LJ3
03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Innersting. I think you can end your boycott now.

I say this is my favorite but I really enjoy all their work with the exception of Coda. That was crap that was all sewn together by John Paul Jones practically by himself.

Chicken Dinner
03-31-2016, 12:58 PM
I can't disagree with anything said here. Personally, Physical Graffiti would top the list.

BarryBobPosthole
03-31-2016, 01:15 PM
IV is my favorite. There's something to like on them all though.

BKB

Thumper
03-31-2016, 01:45 PM
I had every album up through IV and spent many hours blasting them while stoned back in the day, then I went into the military where I continued listening to them (AND smokin' about 12-tons of Thai Stick!). Physical Graffiti came out 6 months before I left beautiful S.E. Asia, but by then, I was kind of "over" Led Zep and never bought another of their albums. I do still like the early stuff because it stirs the ol' memory banks. Kinda like the Beatles, I liked their early stuff, but once the Sgt. Pepper era kicked in, I was over them too and didn't move into the new stuff.

LJ3
03-31-2016, 04:05 PM
The thing that Zeppelin did that so few other bands could do is to deliver a totally different sound on each album, yet stay true to their core for the most part. Zeppelin I & II were fairly similar. III was completely different, IV was completely different and so was each album after those. But the Zeppelin "vibe" was there throughout. Any other band that tried to introduce that much variance just died on the vine as soon as they were "different".

This is why Led Zeppelin is the greatest band that ever walked to face of the earth.

You're welcome.

Thumper
03-31-2016, 04:56 PM
I assume you're a Led Zep fan? ;)

LJ3
03-31-2016, 05:27 PM
they're a'ight :)

I'm a tremendous Jimmy Page fan. His guitar and musicianship are amazingly good and he's cool as hell while doing it. Makes it look like nothing, just an extension of himself really. You can be a technical stud like Joe Bonamassa or others but if you're not playing from within, with emotion, it comes away hollow to me.

Page is better when he was 70 than most guitar slingers today. He is also the master of hooks. How many songs from 41 years ago can so many people name in 3 identical notes?

S'what I thought :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG49QZw0Kc4

BarryBobPosthole
03-31-2016, 05:45 PM
Len, you need the DVDs "How the West Was Won".

You'll thank me for tellng you about it.

BKB