PDA

View Full Version : That worked out well .... I think (?)

Thumper
04-04-2016, 10:56 AM
I picked up a little 8" fan a few weeks back at an estate sale. It's a bit busted up ... a strut is missing from the cage and many others are crudely soldered in place where they've come loose over the years. The plating is in poor shape and worn or scratched off in many places. The pad on the bottom has rotted away and has been replaced by a crappy looking piece of white material, but the fan is mostly intact and works (although the cord is pretty much junk). Basically, it's FAR from pristine, but I snatched it up as soon as I spotted it. The problem is, after researching the thing, I couldn't find much info about it. I figured I'd just list it at a high price and if it didn't sell, I'd simply lower the price slowly until it moved. I only paid a few bucks for it, so I saw no way of losing. Anyway, I threw it up on The Bay to start out at $250.00 and the dang thing sold last night! I sure hope I didn't under-price it! :(

Ya' gots any o'these in your attic?

6854 6855

johnboy
04-04-2016, 01:39 PM
The 'stuff' (read junk) that people collect never ceases to amaze me. Good for your business, though. Good work.

Thumper
04-04-2016, 06:14 PM
I think that's why I have so much fun at it Johnboy. I look at "junque" in a whole different light these days. I'll have to admit, I used to be a bit of a "collector", but nowadays, every time I spot a pile of crap headed for the dump, the LAST thing I think about is keeping it .... I can't help wondering how much somebody would be willing to pay for it! To be honest, I'm having a blast with it and really enjoy it. I just hope it never gets "old" and I lose interest. It's sort of become my new hobby, but hobbies usually end up COSTING me money ... this hobby has made me almost $55,000 so far! Dang, if I were a kid in high school, I'll be darned if I'd be flipping burgers, bagging groceries or delivering newspapers during the summer, I'd be hitting every yard sale and thrift store in town buying "worthless" little pieces of crap. ;)

End of March accounting from eBay:

Your totals to date -

Transactions - 1843
Sales $53,462.57

As you can see, it's just little crap and the average sale is under $30. I only post a few of the cool items I run across here ... most are mundane. But heck, today is only the 4th and I've averaged $100/day so far this month. Considering I only leave the house for about 2-3 hours/week ... I can't complain. I'd be very curious to know what somebody could do if they put a lot of effort into it, actually worked hard at it, and treated it as a full-time job.

I know, I know .. before the bean counters point it out, my COS runs about 15%-17% ... but that beats the heck out of brick & mortar ... and remember, it's simply a fun hobby IMHO. It keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. ;)

johnboy
04-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Being in the bars keeps you off the street. :D

You most definitely have found your calling. Go get 'em!

Thumper
04-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Being in the bars keeps you off the street.

Yeah, but I'd still have to get there and back home again. ;)