PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 ...

Thumper
04-11-2016, 09:24 AM
I bought a new desk top (Best Buy) in August and it had Win 8.1 installed, but the Geeks there said they would download Win 10 for me. I'd heard all the nightmares here and told them, "Thanks, but no thanks". BUT, I did question two of the (seemingly knowledgeable) sales guys I worked with in the computer department about THEIR experience with Win10 and they had nothing but praise. (they had nothing to gain as the choice was mine as to keep the 8.1 or upgrade). I then took my new computer over to leave it with the Geek Squad to check it out and get it all set up. There were three Geeks there with no other customers, so I hammered them for opinions. All liked the OS and when I asked if they had any customers complaining, they all looked at each other, then all agreed, "No", just the usual new system learning curve ... people were used to some things being somewhere, and now they're somewhere else ... the usual stuff ... but no technical issues to speak of. They all agreed it was a great system. I was leery (due to comments I'd read here) and told them I'd hold off on the Win10 and to just leave the 8.1 installed. They informed me I could bring it back at any time (within the year) if I changed my mind, OR I can always download it free on the net.

Ok, a few months later my laptop crapped out and I bought a new one (again, Best Buy). It came with Win10 already installed, so again, I questioned the heck out of the Geeks and asked what sort of problems they've had with Win10 and they all agreed they loved the program and it's simply a matter of getting used to where everything is. NONE of them had any real technical issues to report. Again, I'd already bought the laptop and they had nothing to gain either way. Move ahead to the present ... I've had NO issues at all and it seems to be a pretty decent system. What the hassle is, now I have Win10 on my laptop and Win8.1 on my desk top. It's a PITA going back and forth from one to the other. No biggie really, but it would be a lot more convenient to have both computers using the same OS.

Now, thinking back, the first complaints I read here were from Bucky ... he said Win10 was developed by the Debbil hisownself and to avoid the system like the plague! But, then again, Bucky can destroy an anvil with a tack hammer! (Joking Bucky :D ) Then someone else (can't remember who) said they upgraded to 10 and had nothing but problems, then went back to 8.1 (I believe). Personally, I haven't experienced ANY nightmares (other than the hassle of learning a new OS) and I'm ready to switch my PC over to Win10 (something I wish I'd done from the start, but youse dufes had me a bit nervous about it). I remember all the times we changed our format here at Good Hunting over the years and EVERYONE screamed that they hated the new system (I'm going back a LOT of years here) and loved the OLD system. Yet, after everyone got used to the new set-up, it was fine and hardly anyone could even remember what they liked about the old system in the first place. Are all these complaints simply a resistance to "change"? Are some of the technical issues actually operator error or possibly a hardware incompatibility problem? I'll be darned if I can find anything to complain about, but still there's that fear in the back of my mind that once I upgrade my PC, I'll have hell to pay. Or are youse guys simply a bunch'a dufebutt nimrods? Comments?

Fido
04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
I had geek squad do some on line work on my desk top which has a Vista operating system. I asked what would be the best upgrade and the guy said windows 7, puter repair shop said likewise,

johnboy
04-11-2016, 11:05 AM
My own personal experience with Win 10 has been less than happy. I also bought a new desktop that came out of the box with 8.1 so I did the 'upgrade' right away and all seemed fine. A very different os than what I was used to but it seemed to be ok.

Then I started to have strange issues. Programs wouldn't open, system would hang to the point I had to pull the plug, apps would disappear only to come back again, constant display errors and the list goes on. Weird, random shit happening.

Thought it was just my desktop so did the deed on the wifes laptop. What a nightmare! Nothing worked right. Got it back to 7.1 and all good again.

So, long story short, I HATE Windows 10!

Thumper
04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
See? That's what I've heard here ... but nowhere else. I've had no issues whatsoever (so far) on my laptop, but youse dufes have me nervous and I keep balking when it comes time to upgrade my PC. Heck, I assume I could always go back to 8.1 if I have issues, but HATE having 'puter problems. Oh well, I have a contract for another 6 months with the Geek Squad. If things get too fubar I could always take it in and have them straighten it out. I'd just hate the hassle.

Captain
04-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Easy fix... Buy a Mac

BarryBobPosthole
04-11-2016, 11:39 AM
^^^^purty much

BKb

jb
04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
I use 7 Pro, does everything I need and more than I don't even use.
I keep getting this notice for a free upgrade to 10, no thanks.
I'm even very happy with XP Pro on my old computer, best thing that ever happened.

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
I couldn't even tell you . I just turn it on and use it.

johnboy
04-11-2016, 01:03 PM
OK, just google "I Hate Win 10" and aee what you get.

Thumper
04-11-2016, 01:25 PM
This thread is typical of what I remember and is the reason I didn't have it installed. That said, your suggestion doesn't work all that well for me Johnboy. Lynn and read reviews for movies, restaurants, hotels, etc. and very seldom agree with the reviews we read. As an example, I love sushi ... but if I ask some of the dingle-berries here where to find the best sushi in town ... well, you know how that goes. (Google "I hate sushi") ;)

Truthfully, I've been using it (Win10) for a few months now and have had no issues whatsoever. BUT ... the computer came with it already installed. I just wonder if that makes any sort of difference? I suppose the only way to know is to upgrade and see if it works ... I can always step back to Win8.1 I suppose. My computer that crapped out had Vista, but heck, it was 7-8 years old! Ya' just got's ta' move on sometime.

johnboy
04-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Sounds good. Have fun.

Thumper
04-11-2016, 02:22 PM
I prolly will ... and I'll be sure and report back with the results. It's just a PITA having two computers with two different operating systems. I was originally thinking about matching my laptop to my PC by installing 8.1. BUT ... since I've had zero issues with Win10, I'm figuring why not use the latest OS on both and simply update the PC? Seems logical but with all the negative reports I've read here, I've been dragging my feet. I guess I just need to jump in and test the water! If I don't check in here for a while ... you'll know things didn't go well. :D

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2016, 02:41 PM
You still have a desk top? I didn't know they even made them any more...

LJ3
04-11-2016, 02:46 PM
I had a 5 year old laptop at home that prompted me for the free 10 upgrade. Clicked yes and never looked back. Everything worked like a champ. It really boils down to the drivers each machine has.

johnboy
04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes, driver compatibility is crucial. I'm having a problem with the AMD display driver crashing the system when trying to run something as simple as a Microsoft game. Really annoying.

I would love to see an O/S Lite offering that removes all the foofra that I don't want and just gives me a basic o/s that actually is dependable.

Thumper
04-11-2016, 05:33 PM
You still have a desk top? I didn't know they even made them any more...

Yeppers, gots one with a big ol' 24" screen in my office where I can sit back and relax while "surfing" and a laptop in my "eBay shipping room" ... plus I take the laptop with me whenever we're out of town which is quite often. Even though I have the iPhone 6 Plus, I HATE doing internet work on the phone ... it's just for convenience, like researching stuff I run across at estate sales, etc.

Thumper
04-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I had a 5 year old laptop at home that prompted me for the free 10 upgrade. Clicked yes and never looked back. Everything worked like a champ. It really boils down to the drivers each machine has.

That's pretty much what the Geeks told me when I mentioned "friends who had nothing but problems". They said they probably upgraded on a machine that was already marginal and couldn't really handle the new O/S.

BarryBobPosthole
04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
What's a driver?

BKB

Thumper
04-11-2016, 06:18 PM
What's a driver?BKB

(Number two is my favorite variety) :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UfBePUbn2Us/SxNONVigT4I/AAAAAAAAGdE/6LdDiuGc7qc/s1600/danica-02.jpg http://www.meatbeerbabes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Sexy-Female-Race-Car-Drivers_3-683x1024.jpg

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2016, 07:25 PM
What's a driver? BKB

It's the thing you tee off with in the par 4's and 5's.

DeputyDog
04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
I agree with Chix' description more than Thump's. His example may both drive, but aren't what I'd call a "driver". You all know what I think of Danica's skill level and Milka Duno is nothing more than a moving chicane when she's on the race track.

DeputyDog
04-12-2016, 10:05 AM
BTW, I have a new laptop that originally came with win 8 but was upgraded to 10. I haven't had any issues with it.

Thumper
04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I agree with Chix' description more than Thump's. His example may both drive, but aren't what I'd call a "driver". You all know what I think of Danica's skill level and Milka Duno is nothing more than a moving chicane when she's on the race track.

Ha ha! I knew those pics would pull you in! P-hole didn't ask what a GOOD driver is. ;)

johnboy
04-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Sounds like I'm a minority when it comes to Win 10. Maybe my machines are cursed? :crazy

Thumper
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
I don't know Johnboy. It seems like it's about 50/50 here. When I talked to the Geeks and mentioned the problems I'd heard about, they all seemed to agree the problems were probably from people with an older computer and it just didn't have the guts to handle the newer upgrade. That's why I was reluctant to try upgrading my old laptop that was running Vista. It really didn't matter in the end as it crapped out on me about 6 months later anydamnway. My new laptop came with Win10 and I've experienced NO problems and I seriously doubt I'll have a problem upgrading my 6 month old PC that's now running 8.1. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thumper
05-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Update ... I've had both computers running Win 10 for a while now and have had no issues whatsoever with either of them. Actually, it seems to be a great OS as far as I can tell.

I spoke with the Geeks again just yesterday (was asking about a speaker problem) and they all agreed that many people with 'puters that are already stretched to the limit are upgrading to Win 10 and it just ain't a good mix. I have no clue if that's been happening here or not, but I'm now regretting not upgrading my desk top the day I bought it, instead of putting it off the way I did.