PDA

View Full Version : Rainy morning bird.

Captain
04-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Yes, a hunting post.
Raining like cats and dogs. No time for a Niner or Bucky pose. Good bird worked just like you want them to! Really good morning...
I hope this never gets "old"

Thumper
04-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Congrats dufe. I really miss turkey huntin'. :(

LJ3
04-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Nice!

I think the only thing getting old is you, my friend :)

Captain
04-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Well you can't get but so wet. Time for one Bucky pose and one Niner. 6870

Ain't that the truth LJ. And I hope I KEEP getting older too!

Chicken Dinner
04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Nice bird! (Have I mentioned I've never killed a turkey?)

Thumper
04-12-2016, 09:02 AM
What would a guy called "Chicken Dinner" do with a turkey anydamnway? ;)

Bwana
04-12-2016, 09:02 AM
First of all, congrats on a mighty fine bird Cappy!

Looks like that critter has a dandy beard on him. I think I've mentioned it here before but our birds don't seem to get beards as long as they do down south, I'm wondering if they wear them off in the snow? Either that or maybe our birds just have shorter legs...kind of like a lot of southern boys do. ;)

Just curious, how far can you realistically knock down a turkey with that scoped shooting iron of yours?

BarryBobPosthole
04-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Nice!

BKb

Big Skyz
04-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Nice bird. Well one thing is for sure, if you keep living, you'll keep getting older. Heaven knows I feel it a little more every day.

Captain
04-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Bwana, funny you should ask about distance. I got a little automatic lie about that. (Which just happens to be true) Six or 8 years ago I had this one Tom that would come to an area that I thought was about 80 yards to me and gobble and strut his butt off. But no matter what I tried he would NOT come any closer. I hunted him several times and each time he would get just out of shotgun range and stand gobble and strut but never come to me. I could not set up closer to him either. I tried decoys, gobbling back at him, everything I could think of and I could not get him to come close enough for a shot. On the morning of the last day just like clockwork he showed up giving me his usual "finger". I decided I would let him know I was there and shot at him and very much to my surprise he balled up and started flopping. The distance was so great I thought it impossible to have actually hit him so I ran over and stood on his neck till he died. I late took my range finder in there and ranged it at 66 yards. I would not take that shot and think with any certainly to take the bird. But that time it did. I like them to be within 40 yards normally.

quercus alba
04-12-2016, 02:04 PM
If you wuz shooting a good old super X like they made em 1975 with real lead, 66 yds wouldn't be no step

Trav
04-12-2016, 03:07 PM
I kilt one at about 70 yards with my 10.ga 3.5's and super full turkey choke.