PDA

View Full Version : Dumbassery!!

Thumper
04-12-2016, 01:51 PM
I have a couple of friends ... actually the daughter and son-in-law of close friends of ours. They wanted to buy a used car and wanted to go to the auction in Orlando. I have a friend with a dealer's license and hooked 'em up. I told them not to take ANYTHING for granted and to go over whatever they decided on with a fine-toothed comb since some of those cars are problems the dealers simply don't want to deal with. They found the "exact" car they were hoping for .. same model, even the color they wanted and bought it. Once they completed the paperwork and paid for it, they went to drive it home. Ha ha ha ha! What nimrods! Once they got into it to drive it home, they realized it was a stick and both of them only know how to drive an automatic! They said they looked at EVERYTHING before they bought it, but never even noticed it had a manual transmission. Sheeeesh! I guess you can lead a horse to water, but ....!

I wonder if the clutch will hold up long enough for them to learn how to drive it? :smash

johnboy
04-12-2016, 02:38 PM
I taught my son to drive in a manual trans car. We had the option to use an auto but I wanted him to know how to use a stick.

Thumper
04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeppers, the first car I drove had a manual also. These "kids" are in their late 20's and manual trans cars just haven't been all that common in their lifetimes I suppose.

quercus alba
04-12-2016, 06:48 PM
thump first car you drove prolly had a crank in the front too

Captain
04-13-2016, 05:24 AM
thump first car you drove prolly had a crank in the front too It prolly didn't have a floorboard and Thumper and his Buddy Barney used their feet to make it go... 6872
He keeps his first car restored in his driveway.

Thumper
04-13-2016, 09:08 AM
I may have to dip into the Good Hunting slush fund to purchase a new supply of tall stools. The others are about worn out.

DeputyDog
04-13-2016, 09:24 AM
I learned to drive on a manual too. My dad had an old '74 Ford pickup that he taught me to drive in. Other than a work truck or a high performance sporty job can you even get a vehicle with a manual tranny?

Thumper
04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Oh yeah, manuals come in most anything ... even Cadillac has manuals available. If you want a kick-ass ride, pick up a Caddie CTS with a manual 6-speed, then go Corvette hunting ... it gots 640 HP btw!

DeputyDog
04-13-2016, 09:47 AM
I knew the sportier models still had sticks but could I get, say a Malibu or Camry with a manual?

LJ3
04-13-2016, 09:58 AM
I think my definition of checking it out would include sitting in the drivers seat at which point I would notice there are 3 pedals on the floor :)

Thumper
04-13-2016, 10:07 AM
You're correct, it's getting harder and harder to find a manual these days, even in a pick-up. I think most of the "mid-sized" trucks still offer them, but say, the full-sized 1/2 ton probably not. Of course the heavier trucks still offer them (I'm assuming this) ... like the 3/4 or 1-ton versions maybe (?). What's that in a Chevy? 2500 and 3500? I don't really know for sure.