PDA

View Full Version : Tech ??????????

jb
04-13-2016, 08:02 PM
The IP address that goes along with your membership on a Forum, is it from your individual computer ?
So would my wifes computer have a different IP address than mine ?

Thumper
04-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm not even close to being a techie, but I believe there are two sets of IP addresses. Each computer has a different internal IP addy, but I'm assuming you're asking about the external address. If you're both using the same internet provider (same router, etc), you should both show the same IP address.

Of course, like I said, I'm not a techie, so I could be wrong. :D

Hombre
04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Your provider has assigned a static IP address that any device connected to the same router will show up as so it will be the same.

LJ3
04-14-2016, 11:51 AM
All the devices in your house are connected to the Internet via the device (cable modem/fios router/Internet provider device) your provider has in your home. THAT device is the one that shows the IP address you're coming from to the rest of the internet.

So yes, all computers in your house have the same IP address when you go out on the internet.

If you go to this URL from each computer in your house you'll see that all your devices share the same IP address.

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Trav
04-14-2016, 09:59 PM
However each device in your house that interfaces with the internet s hould have its own MAC address.

Captain
04-15-2016, 06:27 AM
MAC! Did someone say MAC??? ;)

LJ3
04-15-2016, 09:02 AM
However each device in your house that interfaces with the internet s hould have its own MAC address.

Cut the shit Trav. He barely understand IP addresses :)

Trav
04-16-2016, 09:16 PM
just wanted to throw what little I know about IP out there.

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2016, 08:16 AM
just wanted to throw what little I know about IP out there.

How's the scab bidness Trav? You back in Boston where they love ya?

BKB

Trav
04-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Well actually I am in Taunton, MA. They moved the emergency workers here so we wouldn't have to walk through the picket lines like in 2011 when we were in downtown Boston. We just drive through them here, as you probably remember it got pretty dicey in Boston back then. It hasn't been too bad and being converted to hourly and getting paid OT is nice. Put in 64 hours since the strike started Wednesday through Saturday and scheduled for 84 this week (7x12). I am not trying to be boastful but the hard part is having no clue what you are doing when you are used to excelling at your normal job.

Hombre
04-18-2016, 01:54 AM
You're the lucky one that pesky excelling at your normal job won't get in the way

LJ3
04-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I am not trying to be boastful but the hard part is having no clue what you are doing when you are used to excelling at your normal job.

It's interesting that this seems to have made no difference in the level of service I normally receive from Verizon :)