PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had a pencil thin mustache

Arty
04-15-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty excited for this weekend. Tomorrow night we're going to see Jimmy Buffett and his Coral Reefers.

Never seen him before. Love a lot of his music.

I'll likely get wasted away in Margaritaville.

Chicken Dinner
04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Hard not to have a good time with all the drunk Parrot Heads.

Thumper
04-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Been to a half dozen of his concerts and had fun, but the last one totally sucked for some reason (Tampa) and we actually walked out early. I'm not sure what his problem was that night, but he was obviously not into the performance. My sister and BIL are HUGE fans and have probably been to 20 of his concerts. They're parrot heads big time and have all the paraphernalia to wear to the concerts. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

BarryBobPosthole
04-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Big time fan here! When I lived in Tampa St Pete, 76-79, the music scene there was amazing. It was pretty common to see a Coral Reefer play sit in at a local bar and the cover bands were also top notch. Buffet crashed a New Ears party at a local bar one time. Lots of old Eagles and some real good rockers like John Hiatt were in the Coral Reefer band.

Jimmy is a legend.

BKB

LJ3
04-15-2016, 09:45 PM
The concerts sure seem like a fun time! Count me among the people that just don't get it :)

Thumper
04-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I was having a frozen fru-fru drink at the Margaritaville in Key West once when the bartender told me I'd just missed Jimmy. Evidently he'd stopped in there while in the Keys. He had a float plane he'd fly down there and hang out. My brother went to the University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg, Ms) and just missed going to school with him. Jimmy graduated in '69 (senior year '68-'69) and my brother was a freshman there, '69-'70. Seems we were always one step behind! :(

Arty
04-17-2016, 08:38 AM
My head hurts.
But it was fun!

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2016, 08:39 AM
My head hurts.
But it was fun!

Famous last parrothead words!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2016, 09:10 AM
To quote the man,

My head hurts
My feet stink
And I don't love Jesus
It's that kind of morning
It really was that kind of night

Thumper
04-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Sounds like it was a typical Buffett concert to me! ;)

Arty
04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
It was in fact a pretty epic event. One I will never forget. Funny how much you have in common with everyone when you are drinking and singing along with Jimmy.

The folks next to us while we were tailgating, also happened to be in the row in front of us when we got seated. Great folks. We shared food and beers, and had great conversation. They are both surgeons from Raleigh.
I'm pretty sure I asked for a gift certificate for a transplant of some sort. At least that's what I'm told. Some of the events are a little fuzzy.

Down side is he DIDN'T sing Pencil Thin Mustache. One of my favorites.

BarryBobPosthole
04-17-2016, 07:18 PM
That would be cut#1 off of "Livng and Dying in Three-Quarter Time". I still have a cassette of that album I recorded off the radio way back in the 70s some time. I just don't have a working cassette player.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2016, 09:25 PM
My favorite is the live album, You Had to be There.

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2016, 09:28 PM
My favorite songs are probably, A Pirate Looks at 40, He Went to Paris and Son of a Son of a Sailor.

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Livn and Dyin in 3/4 Time and A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean are my two favorite albums. Thats before he went 'Cheeseburger' as we used to say. The latter has "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw" on it, one of his more sentimental songs.

Have you read any of his books? "Where is Joe Merchant" is an awesome book.

BKb

Arty
04-18-2016, 08:26 AM
I didn't know he had written any books!

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Some pretty good ones. Both fiction and non fiction. A Pirate Looks at Fifty tells about a trip he made in his vintage float plane to celebrate his fiftieth birthday with his family.

BKb