PDA

View Full Version : It's only money!

Thumper
04-18-2016, 11:36 AM
I picked up a "Hotel Brussels" souvenir type thing at an estate sale and decided to research it today to get it listed. It's from a luxury hotel in Brussels. While researching the hotel, I ran across something I'd never really thought much about. I wonder what the expense is to tax payers for EVERY night the President stays out of town? I know just the transportation costs a small fortune as even his limousines have to be transported, but I wonder what just the hotel bill is for a typical trip? The reason I ask is ... while researching this hotel, I ran across this tid-bit.

In March 2014, U.S. President Barack Obama and his entourage rented a total of 283 rooms of this and another hotel in the city (Crowne Plaza) during a single overnight visit to Brussels, with the president staying at The Hotel Brussels.

Damn! I know travel is a bit pricey, but I never really wondered what just the hotel bill itself would be for a typical trip. Wow!

DeputyDog
04-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Especially since they aren't staying in $100 a night hotels either, not that those are all that common in Europe unless you do the Hostel thing.

LJ3
04-18-2016, 03:04 PM
They usually, at a minimum, rent out 3 floors and put the asshole on the middle floor. When I say asshole, I mean every president except Reagan.

Big Skyz
04-18-2016, 03:28 PM
...every president expect Reagan during your lifetime...I'm sure is what you meant.

LJ3
04-18-2016, 04:04 PM
^^ Yes :)

BarryBobPosthole
04-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Imagine this: after WWI, during negotiations of the Treay of Versailles, President Woodrow Wilson was in Europe for six straight months.

Can you imagine if a sitting president these days spent that much time abroad working on something? Times sure change!

(and they still screwed it up)

BKB

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Maybe that's why they screwed it up.

quercus alba
04-18-2016, 06:16 PM
I don't understand why they couldn't just stay at the U.S. embassy instead, well actually I do but that would be too much like right

LJ3
04-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Holiday Inn Express. It'd help him elevate his game a bit if the advertising is true.

Thumper
04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
It wasn't really advertising per se'. I was just looking up the history of the hotel and pulled the info from Wikipedia.

Heck, they could stay at Motel 6 ... Tom Bodett would even leave the light on for 'em if they run a little late. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
04-19-2016, 12:29 PM
They probably have better hookers at the Embassy.

BKB