PDA

View Full Version : Yote Q

hotshot
12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Hear yotes once in awhile. Only ones I've seen in the wild are when Driving a car.
How does an individual go about getting started at yote hunting. Gotta be a bunch around- pheasants are fewer and fewer. I see tracks often, but never an actual yodel-puppy.
I know lotsa guys use a .223, is a .22 okay for close up shots, or should I stick with buck shot?
I own two shotguns, a .22, a couple of muzzleloading guns, a slug gun...
Slugs would put too big a hole in a yote right?

Big Skyz
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Your best bet would be to go to http://www.predatormasters.com and join. It's free and there is a ton of good information there. I would just go there and lurk/read a lot. As for guns stick with your shotgun, 4 buck, and the longest range choke tube you have. A 22 will just leave you disappointed eventually.

Booger
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I am NOT a "Yote hunter". I've been seeing a very large one in and around my property and this morning going out the door to the truck he was again in the front yard. I ran back in and grabbed a savage .22, ran back out and shot him offhand at about 50 yards. He was trotting left to right and there was no way to take a rest to take the head shot I know was needed with a .22, so I popped him thru the lungs. He spun around 3 times and blasted off into the woods. I'll look for him when I get home this afternoon but I don't think I'll find him. He could have gone a half mile with that shot. But.....He'll die and that was the goal. Shotgun wirh heavy shot coyote loads would be perfect, .223 or even my .308 would have been great. I had a .22 and unless you put it in his ear a .22 just sucks.

hotshot
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
That is what I thought.... But a guy can hope. I figured: some larger buck shot would work, with a turkey choke.

Trav
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Hombre and I have killed a bunch of yotes through the years. when we started out one of us would have a .22 mag and the other had a .12ga with 00 buck. As we got more savvy and had more money he bought a AR15 and I bought a 25.06 but we always hunted together and one of us always has the .12ga. If you are hunting in much cover at all you will be surprised how often they just appear at 20 yards or so. The .12g works great for that. I think the main thing is how open it is where you hunt. With the .22mag we never really hunted anywhere we had more than a 75 or 100 yard shot and it usually worked fine they never went very far.