PDA

View Full Version : Prince

Thumper
04-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Man, CNN has had non-stop coverage of 100% Prince since late this afternoon and they're still going strong! I loved his music, but wasn't really a huge fan of his. I've watched a ton of the coverage and it seems he was a REALLY good person. He was a Jehovah's Witness and didn't talk about the (extensive) charitable stuff he did, but it seems the guy was extremely talented as well as smart and stayed up on the world's current events. He was the first to jump into action anytime there was a crisis somewhere ... here in the US, or Internationally. I've been pretty fascinated to learn about his personal life today and we've experienced a huge loss it seems.

Of course, being the rock star type, when I heard of his untimely death, the first stereotypical thought that came to my mind was a drug overdose. It seems he did no drugs and was actually a health nut ... a vegetarian and kept himself in good physical condition. It's a mystery right now, but he went to the hospital with the "flu" earlier in the week. I can't help but think about my old Army buddy. He got sick, went to the Emergency Room and they told him he had the flu, then sent him home with some antibiotics or sumpin'. The next day, he was so sick he called an ambulance and actually died a couple of times (and was resuscitated) in route to the ER. Turned out he had meningitis. It'll be interesting to see what Prince's autopsy turns up.

From what I can tell, we lost a heck of a talent as well as a good person today. RIP Prince. :(

BarryBobPosthole
04-21-2016, 09:47 PM
His Superbowl halftime performance of Purple Rain was maybe the best performance ever.

I was more an admirer than fan I guess. He had integrity as an artist and that's rare in the pop music bidness.

BKB

Thumper
04-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Pretty much ditto for what you said. They've covered the Super Bowl performance extensively. It seems everyone was worried about the rain but him. He said, "Let it pour" ... kinda fitting I guess for the "Purple Rain" performance.

They've been pretty much covering his life and I have to admit, I'm impressed with his talent, his intelligence AND his integrity. It's rare you'll ever hear that from me when referring to any sort of entertainer.

airbud7
04-21-2016, 10:24 PM
I was more an admirer than fan I guess. He had integrity as an artist and that's rare in the pop music bidness.

BKB

This^....and yea thump/....I think he was a good man...different? yep!....still a good person. ...Rip.

Big Muddy
04-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Saw, and heard, it on the morning news...."1999" has been embedded in my brain cells, all day'um day long. ;)

Liked his music, and seemed to be a down-to-earth guy.

Captain
04-22-2016, 05:50 AM
Y'all talking about Prince the feller that decided he didn't have a name and was just a symbol? That dufe?
Y'all must know some stuff that I don't know.

Thumper
04-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Y'all talking about Prince the feller that decided he didn't have a name and was just a symbol? That dufe?
Y'all must know some stuff that I don't know.

That was his fight against the record companies. Up until Prince fought them, the record companies owned everything an entertainer produced. As it was in the court system, the company told him he was was not allowed to go by "Prince" because they owned the "rights". Prince is his REAL name! In protest, he came up with the symbol and told the record company to screw themselves because his name was now something they couldn't even pronounce! Symbolic actually (no pun intended), but his way of telling them to "f" themselves.

Of course, now the controversy enters. I saw on FOX News this morning that the "flu" episode earlier this week is now a suspected drug overdose. Ya' just don't know what to believe these days. Heck, the toxicology report hasn't even been done yet ... who knows?

I'm out'ta here anyway. I have some estate sales callin' my name!

Captain
04-22-2016, 07:00 AM
That was his fight against the record companies. Up until Prince fought them, the record companies owned everything an entertainer produced. As it was in the court system, the company told him he was was not allowed to go by "Prince" because they owned the "rights". Prince is his REAL name! In protest, he came up with the symbol and told the record company to screw themselves because his name was now something they couldn't even pronounce! Symbolic actually (no pun intended), but his way of telling them to "f" themselves.

A lotta good that shit did!

jb
04-22-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm old, heard it on the news and asked my wife, can you name one song, she couldn't, nor could I.
Sound like he was a good guy, sad when they die early.

BarryBobPosthole
04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
He was one of the very VERY few artists who owned the entire portfolio of songs he, himself created. That might sound odd, but its the way things work in that industry.

BKB

HideHunter
04-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Personally, I could puke.. While the network morning "news" shows have turned into so much fluff - I actually watch the front end to get a little "news". A freaking *hour* of it?.. and still going? If they hadn't landed the airplane in Moline the other day to administer the "saver" drug it would have been over by now. I was a bigger fan of Chyna..

There.

LJ3
04-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Being a musical person, I was a huge fan and admirer. He was immensely gifted. He wrote, arranged, scored, played, produced and performed in a way that made him an icon. There are VERY few people that have the ability, let alone the intelligence and drive to do all that by themselves.

LJ3
04-22-2016, 10:32 AM
For you dufes that haven't heard of him. The 70,000 people in the stadium watching a football game sang along with his song. The problem may be with you :)

https://youtu.be/7NN3gsSf-Ys

quercus alba
04-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Being one of the crowd doesn't necessarily mean you're right, it might just mean you're a lemming

LJ3
04-22-2016, 10:44 AM
I prefer to think of it as being enlightened :) You miss a lot of cool stuff being under a rock!

Wait... shit, am I a democrat now?

HideHunter
04-22-2016, 11:00 AM
I'd 1000X rather watch/listen to this.. This is talent.. and.. music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_L9ctpq2-o

I'm done with it.. To each his own.

quercus alba
04-22-2016, 11:15 AM

LJ3
04-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Now THAT... is sad!

LJ3
04-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Loves me a great harmonica HH! You ever listen to John Popper? That guy is freaking amazing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fKdsN2i3Av4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HideHunter
04-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Absolutely!

Trav
04-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Really underrated as a guitar player, his solo on while my guitar gently weeps at the Rock n roll hall of fame tribute to George Harrison was epic.

Thumper
04-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Being a musical person, I was a huge fan and admirer. He was immensely gifted. He wrote, arranged, scored, played, produced and performed in a way that made him an icon. There are VERY few people that have the ability, let alone the intelligence and drive to do all that by themselves.

Agreed, super talented. He could also play most any instrument known to man ... proficiently. He did a lot of good for others, he just never talked about it.

Arty
04-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Looks like he OD'd like so many of them do.

He was talented there is no doubt.

But a fan I wasn't.

And some 60 year old white dude absolutely balling his eyes out about it on the news this morning makes me wonder about human kind.

But - RIP... The artist formally known as prince.