PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Virginia! (Kinda blatant isn't it?)

Thumper
04-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Richmond, Va. (AP) -- More than 200,000 convicted felons will be able to cast ballots in the swing state of Virginia in November under a sweeping executive order Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced Friday.
The Democrat said restoring the rights of felons to vote and run for office will help undo the state's long history of trying to prevent African-Americans from fully participating in our democracy.

(I posted the above as a quote, but the highlighting is mine)

Wow! ANOTHER Executive Order ... those are popular these days! I'd say the timing is a bit sketchy enough, BUT ... the state has a "long history of trying to prevent African-Americans from fully participating in our democracy"!!

Is your bozo Governor only restoring voting rights to African Americans? WTF kind of statement is that? I swear, the political machine bull-dozing this election is REALLY starting to sicken me. What's next?

So let me get this straight ... your Governor is a Democrat ... Hillary is a Democrat (AND a close, personal friend of the Governor). Hillary pretty much has the black vote sewn up, so this would add a nice chunk of people to her constituency. Correct? Does anyone here think a felon would actually vote Republican? GREAT timing there Governor! I'm SURE there was no political motivation behind your bonehead move, right?

I have an idea. Become a contributing member of society, THEN have your voting rights re-established. Get busted again for so much as spitting on the sidewalk and your "voting rights" go into the toilet. This whole thing happening just before the election stinks to high heaven ... but I realize, that's just MHO ... which isn't always worth a hill of beans.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-22/urgent-virginia-governor-restores-voting-rights-to-200k-felons

Chicken Dinner
04-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Our Current Governor is former DNC chair and notorious Clinton bag man Terry MacAwful. So, yes the timing is not coincidental. IMO, he fault really lies with the state GOP which continues to nominate fairly reactionary candidates with little hope of winning a state wide election. The only upside is that our Governors are prohibited from serving consecutive terms. So, we're almost done with his sorry ass.

quercus alba
04-24-2016, 08:36 AM
as far as i'm concerned, when you choose to commit a felony you forfeit all rights except the right to legal representation and right to a speedy trial. guess that makes me a racist homophobe sexist right wing nut job whatever.

So be it then, i'll wear the mantle proudly

Thumper
04-24-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm with you there Q/A. I was watching the news earlier (FOX) and they brought up a good point. If they grant felons the right to vote, what's next? Reinstate their right to own firearms? I don't know which thought is more scary, Democratic voters or felons with guns.

BarryBobPosthole
04-24-2016, 10:33 AM
I think there are several states that allow felons to vote. Its a state by state deal.

And of course it was done to help Hillary. She's only ahead by a few million votes and needs all she can get!

But given Republicans track records, I'd assume most of them are registered republicans.

BKB

Thumper
04-24-2016, 10:43 AM
My main complaint is the timing ... that stands out like a sore thumb.

To be honest with you, I doubt if most of those losers ever even registered to vote anyway ... unless they did it when Obama was up for election. ;)

Of course, as the article states, the vultures are there waiting with voter registration forms in hand (and probably reminding them it was a Democrat who they need to thank).

Left-leaning advocacy groups were there as well, handing out voter registration forms.

Chicken Dinner
04-24-2016, 10:55 AM
as far as i'm concerned, when you choose to commit a felony you forfeit all rights except the right to legal representation and right to a speedy trial. guess that makes me a racist homophobe sexist right wing nut job whatever. So be it then, i'll wear the mantle proudly

My issue.

BarryBobPosthole
04-24-2016, 10:55 AM
The libtard bastards!

BKB

Arty
04-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I think there are several states that allow felons to vote. Its a state by state deal. And of course it was done to help Hillary. She's only ahead by a few million votes and needs all she can get! But given Republicans track records, I'd assume most of them are registered republicans. BKB

I think I read that there's only about 3 states left that DO NOT allow felons to vote... After serving their time of course.

LJ3
04-25-2016, 09:54 AM
My issue.

Testify mah nizzle!