PDA

View Full Version : Hope you guys aren't tired of this stuff.

Thumper
04-25-2016, 08:50 AM
I've mentioned my buddy (of 57 years!) who retired a couple years ago and asked to tag along with me at an estate sale shortly after he retired. After the FIRST sale, he was hopelessly hooked! I then taught him the ropes on eBay and we've had a friendly sales competition going ever since (he's never out-sold me so far!). He has not missed ONE weekend of hitting the sales and goes by himself if I'm out of town. On a normal weekend, we determine a time to leave and he consistently hits my driveway about 5 mins. before our planned departure. Well, at a sale this past weekend, he was digging through a nasty old toolbox in the garage. Now, there was NOTHING nice about this toolbox. It was one of those small one-tray boxes like you might see banging around in the back of someone's old pick-up. Nasty, greasy and just a bunch of junk, rusted, no-name tools with a bunch of other crap ... loose nuts/bolts, little scraps and parts, etc. You get the picture ... just a pile of crap. BUT ... he learned well ... that's where you're likely to find hidden treasures! He dug through the crap and found a Remington pocket knife in the bottom of that box. We did a quick bit of researching on the spot, but couldn't find that particular model, so he threw it in his bag and figured he'd try to find some info later. He paid $0.25 for it.

Well, he just emailed me this morning and said he finally found one persactly like his ... it sold at auction for $450.00 a little over 2 years ago! Cool beans man! He's gonna auction it and start at $300 with a "Buy it Now" of $450. I'm tellin' ya', we have a blast at these sales, BUT ... I may have to tell him to cool his jets. He's starting to become serious competition! ;)

6949 6950

Chicken Dinner
04-25-2016, 09:42 AM
I say keep them coming.

BarryBobPosthole
04-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Dang. That almost looks a lot like an old Barlow. I carried a Barlow around in the bottom of my own toolbox for years. I have no idea what happened to it.

Its prolly worth a whole dollar!

BKb

Thumper
04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
To be honest P-hole, it looked like a pretty common knife to us when he found it, but for a quarter, what the heck? It has a model number on it and I guess it turned out that particular model is super rare. A lucky find.

At that same sale (same garage), I found an old monkey wrench ... a little thing 4" long. I paid a quarter for it also ... listed it yesterday and it sold last night at elebenty-bazillion % profit. It was our kind of sale ... lots of dirty, rusty, ummm, "junque". We picked up a TON of stuff there and they were practically giving the stuff away. It was a private estate sale (not a company) running the thing. ;)

6952 6953

Thumper
04-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Dang. That almost looks a lot like an old Barlow. I carried a Barlow around in the bottom of my own toolbox for years. I have no idea what happened to it.

Its prolly worth a whole dollar!

BKb

Well, the name starts with an "R" ... like the rifle ... "R" Arms. I don't want to get too descriptive here with name and model number as I've been burned by these posts before. He just listed it last night with a starting bid of $325 and a BIN of $450. It's on four watch lists already!

BarryBobPosthole
04-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Is that the actual knife? The shield design on the handle is why i ask. That's a Boker knife. It might have Remmy on the name, but if it has that shield on it, its a Boker german made knife, which are pretty dang good pocket knives.

I'm pretty sure my old Barlow had that sheild on it. Maybe not, but I think that's what made me think of it.BKB

Thumper
04-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Nope, that's the one that sold. When I first posted this, he hadn't taken any pics yet. Here's his knife. (sorry for the image size, I'm too lazy to save and re-size the pics)

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u3EAAOSwKfVXHsQE/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KtUAAOSwaZdXHsRG/s-l1600.jpg

Thumper
04-26-2016, 10:50 AM
He really needs this sale 'cause I'm kicking his ass! We still have a few days to go and I'm already over $1600.00 in sales so far this month, while he's at $775.00! Amateur! :D

Well heck, I just realized it won't help him this month anyway. He has it listed as an auction, so it won't close until 05/02.

Big Skyz
04-26-2016, 11:08 AM
I get tired of these posts like I get tired of looking at beautiful women. For the record I never tire of looking at beautiful women.