PDA

View Full Version : Airbud

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Your old buddy BJ Thomas was inducted into the Oklahoma music Hall of Fame this week.
I can't explain it. Maybe we're just hooked on a feelin'. You know, high on believin'.

BKB

airbud7
04-30-2016, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdshGzbLsjg

airbud7
04-30-2016, 02:57 PM
the real airbud

Thumper
04-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Ha ha! I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, so I'll just say it right now and get it over with ... BITE ME!

I knew B.J. quite well back in the late 60's. I also knew his older brother Jerry, but actually only met him a couple of times. Jerry is actually the one who got BJ started in the business. He had a little band in Texas (I thought BJ was born in Texas, didn't know he was an Okie). Anyway, Jerry needed a singer for his band and talked BJ into singing for him. The rest is history. I think BJ moved to Memphis about the same time I did, around '67-'68 maybe(?). He was working with a recording studio in town ... can't remember the name, but it was NOT Sun Records. I remember where the studio was, just can't remember the name, but BJ was playing with a group called (not sure, but I think I'm close) "The Memphis Boys". Anyway, he drove a Cadillac Eldorado and was a regular customer. VERY nice guy and a huge Elvis fan at the time. His brother Jerry had an identical Eldo ... unless my memory is failing me and I just have a mental picture of him driving BJ's car. About the time I graduated H/S and was going to leave town for college, I heard he (BJ) was getting pretty heavy into the drug scene. I think the last I ever saw him was around '70 or '71 maybe and around that time, I believe he moved to New York (?) of all places.

yellowk9
05-02-2016, 11:19 AM
That had to be the most awkward audience/entertainer interaction ever. I think I'd rather perform at Cowboys Stadium than in that room.

Thumper
05-02-2016, 11:46 AM
YK9 ... I thought persactly the same thing. I suppose when you've been a professional entertainer all your adult life, maybe it comes a bit more naturally. Personally, I think I'd have been nothing more than a bag of Jello.