PDA

View Full Version : Does Your State Allow This?

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Oklahoma is getting ready to pass a bill to allow night time hunting of feral hogs. No permit, no license, no game warden notification, no nothing. AND they will allow the use of supressors (silencers) and noght vision equipment as well.

Aside from making an already pretty creepy job of trackng down poachers at night even creepier, my main concern is they're not going to do anything but create a market for this shit and more hogs will get released and we'll even have a bigger feral hog problem than we've already got!

This seems to be taking things pretty far over the common sense line. But that's only my opinion of course.

How is this handled in your state?

BKB

Feral swine bill allows unregulated nighttime shooting

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/feral-swine-bill-allows-unregulated-nighttime-shooting/article_8814c16e-7bf5-5520-b188-9c8f2fa93d48.html

(Sent from Tulsa World)

Big Muddy
05-02-2016, 10:44 AM
MS hog hunting regulations pretty much state, "private landowners can shoot them ALL on sight, 24-7-365, day or night, with ANY type weapon"....however, non-landowners, may only use .22 cal. or smaller weaponry, at night.

yellowk9
05-02-2016, 11:05 AM
In Arkansas they've pretty much done away with hog hunting on public lands. Trapping or aerial gunning is more efficient at lowering populations and encouraging the public to hunt them only seems to encourage some members of the public to release more of them. I think they are still fair game on private lands.

Big Skyz
05-02-2016, 11:06 AM
We don't have hogs, but everything you listed applies to coyotes in Montana. Poachers are going to poach regardless of what the state laws are. It's doubtful that those new regs will have much affect on what they planned on doing anyway.

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Troy, I'm less concerned about the poaching aspect and more concerned about what yellowk9 said, that we'll actually end up with more feral hogs because of the change.

BKB

Big Skyz
05-02-2016, 11:23 AM
In that regard, I could see where that would happen. Can't fix stupid.

Thumper
05-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Our WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) vary with some of their rules ... on some, you can't hunt hogs during Spring turkey season. Some have size limits, some don't. The last time I deer hunted a WMA, the game warden told me to kill every hog I saw, any size, any sex and if I didn't want it, I could leave it for the buzzards. Also on WMA's you have to hunt them with bows during bow season and muzzle loaders during muzzle loader season, other than that, it's any legal weapon. I really don't know anything about the legality of night vision equipment and I seriously doubt we can use silencers ... I don't think they're even legal to own/possess down here. I'd have to research that.

On private land, just about anything goes. Florida regs:

On private property with landowner permission, wild pigs may be trapped and hunted year round using any legal to own rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow or pistol. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required. A gun and light at night permit is not required to take wild hogs with a gun and light on private lands with landowner permission.

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 11:46 AM
You have to file for a silencer permit here I believe. The silencer part of the bill was supposedly done for 'hearing safety'.

Right.

BKB

Thumper
05-02-2016, 12:02 PM
You have to file for a silencer permit here I believe. The silencer part of the bill was supposedly done for 'hearing safety'.

Right. BKB

Ha ha ha! Riiiight! ;)

We use these:

quercus alba
05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
you get caught with a light and a gun in Arkansas at night for any reason and it's a night in the cross bar hotel you gun your truck and maybe a five year ban on your license

Captain
05-02-2016, 08:41 PM
NC is just as you posted. No license, day night, night vision. My buddy Big Jim has spent more money that I care to think about on some REALLY high dollar night vision and thermal equipment.
They hunt several nights a month.
This is his text to me Friday night/ Saturday morning.
And to your point he says they could shoot a zillion deer at night. But they only shoot hogs and coyotes. He is not going to risk having his rifles(s) with the night vision and thermal taken away.

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 08:58 PM
He done a deed there, brother. Tell him if he won't eat me out of house and home he can come out here and kill every one of ours.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2016, 09:36 PM
That's a mess of pig dip!

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 10:15 PM
That's a mess of pig dip!

Have you sampled the camp pate'?

BKB

Captain
05-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I don't think Hank has ever had Camp Pate'
Hell I can not even remember what was in the mix that night. I do remember alcohol was involved and some combination of stuff decomposing around the club house...

BarryBobPosthole
05-02-2016, 10:56 PM
As I recall it was about a cup of peanut butter, about a half bottle of Louisianna Hot Sauce, and two cans of sardines mixed well.

And it was pretty dang awesome.

BKB

Captain
05-03-2016, 06:06 AM
That sounds about right. Them boys come up with some weird pate' when alcohol is involved.

Arty
05-03-2016, 06:17 AM
As I recall it was about a cup of peanut butter, about a half bottle of Louisianna Hot Sauce, and two cans of sardines mixed well. And it was pretty dang awesome. BKB
This sounds like some kind of weird okie catfish bait.... That should have the disclaimer "not for human consumption" on the bag.

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Oh it was good stuff, Maynard.

Camp pate', corn liquor, night time gunfire, all the ingredients for a memorable night!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Sounds like something I'd eat if I had a belly full of un-taxed liquor and sincerely regret the next morning.

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Between the liquor and the pate' and the bowled peanuts my gut was in reasonably good shape. Can't say, but I'd imagine the Captain's septic tank glowed in the dark down at the farm after I left though.

BKB

Thumper
05-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Man! Youse dufes will eat ANYTHING! :D

BarryBobPosthole
05-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Except snot.

Thumper
05-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Same here ... I draw the line at oysters! ;)

Thumper
05-03-2016, 04:04 PM

LJ3
05-03-2016, 08:09 PM
This... This post is why I love this place. I bet even Bucky would smile at this thread.

Arty
05-03-2016, 09:13 PM
This... This post is why I love this place. I bet even Bucky would smile at this thread.
Hey Bucky. Show yoself!

Captain
05-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Yea, Bucksnort. Why you disin' us?

Thumper
05-03-2016, 11:04 PM
I thought he drove off into the sunset with his Chevy 9500 hauling his 53-foot quadruple axle camper and was holed up in some COA park with no I-net access. :confused:

Big Muddy
05-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Speaking of snot....we went out for supper, tonite at the Half Shell Oyster House.

My appetizer was a raw dozen, followed by a seafood sampler platter....I'll sleep very good tonite !!! ;)

Thumper
05-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Sleep??? With those oysters, you should be "up" all night! .)

(or is that an old wive's tale?) ;)

Big Muddy
05-03-2016, 11:52 PM
HA, not all night, Thump....'bout 20 minutes, and I'm toast. ;)

Captain
05-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Careful Muddy. There is no "R" in May. Bad month to eat oysters. It will be at least September before I'm back in em'

Arty
05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Careful Muddy. There is no "R" in May. Bad month to eat oysters. It will be at least September before I'm back in em'
That was a good rule for your great grandfather. But now a days we have refrigeration to keep oysters fresh and alive while shipping/trucking. They harvest them here year around.

Captain
05-04-2016, 08:35 AM
It don't have anything to do with keeping them cold in storage. It has everything to do with the brackish water heating up they live in. I'll stick with the months with an "R" in them if you please.

LJ3
05-04-2016, 08:52 AM
My wife eats 'em year round. Don't be a pussy :)

Of course, we go to snooty places that give you the personal backstory to every oyster you meet, their environment, which Canadian island they vacation on and their lineage.

The shit is gross people!

I usually get quote the look after the wife orders her oysters when I say "Hey, can you throw a dozen in the deep fryer for me?"

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2016, 08:54 AM
That was a good rule for your great grandfather. But now a days we have refrigeration to keep oysters fresh and alive while shipping/trucking. They harvest them here year around.

There's a phenomena called cultural wisdom. Its the reason we don't eat poison mushrooms, or do other stuff like eating oysters in months that don't have R's.
In other words, some ancestor spent many hours on some prehistoric toilet learning that rule the hard way so you wouldn't have to. Challenge that wisdom with care, Grasshopper!

BKb

Thumper
05-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Lynn eats 'em year round. Don't be a pussy :)

Of course, we go to snooty places that give you the personal backstory to every oyster you meet, their environment, which Canadian island they vacation on and their lineage.

The shit is gross people!

I usually get quite the look after Lynn orders her oysters when I say "Hey, can you throw a dozen in the deep fryer for me?"

Sorry Lenster, I used my Secret Committee powers to change your quote just a tad to fit my personal situation. ;)

Thumper
05-04-2016, 09:04 AM
The key word in your post Mr. P-hole is "prehistoric". Do ya' really think the FDA would allow sales during the non-R months if there was a true threat these days? Now, I wouldn't suggest going to Miami in August and eating the oysters you collected on your trip to the beach, but these days, Oysters served year-round come from farms with no chance of red tide contamination. Plus, you have northern farms where the water is cooler if you still wanna be a wuss about it. I gots ta' go with Arty on this one.

Arty
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
There's a phenomena called cultural wisdom. Its the reason we don't eat poison mushrooms, or do other stuff like eating oysters in months that don't have R's. In other words, some ancestor spent many hours on some prehistoric toilet learning that rule the hard way so you wouldn't have to. Challenge that wisdom with care, Grasshopper! BKb

Tell that to every seafood restaurant on both east and west coast that will sell oysters to literally millions of oysters to people in the next 4 months (months without R's).

If they made people sick in those months wouldn't every hotel resort be backed up with tourist diarreah flowing from the bathrooms?

Thumper
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Not to mention lawsuits. ;)

Captain
05-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Not to say you WILL get sick every time you eat them in months without a R. It's just that the risk is MUCH higher. Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Everyone just move along. There's nothng to see here. Just a guy named Darwin hard at his work.

BkB

Big Muddy
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Cap, yesterday was May 3rd, so it's barely past April(with an "R")....plus, it was a high-falooting, white table cloth place we ate at....I'm still alive, this morning, and don't have the screaming-sheeits, so I guess the oysters were okay. ;)

Thumper
05-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Not to say you WILL get sick every time you eat them in months without a R. It's just that the risk is MUCH higher. Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

From a dufe who'll drink untaxed liquor. :D

Arty
05-04-2016, 11:17 AM
From a dufe who'll drink untaxed liquor. :D
Ha! Yup he'd just rather go blind.

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2016, 11:27 AM
From hogs to sardines to oysters to white lightnin' all in one thread.

Only on Goodhunting.

BKB

Big Skyz
05-04-2016, 11:38 AM
"My wife eats 'em year round. Don't be a pussy "

This from a cat lover???

LJ3
05-04-2016, 01:03 PM
My cat is a badass :) He'd eat oysters in may, june, july AND august.

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2016, 01:17 PM
And still have five lives to spare.

BKB

Big Skyz
05-04-2016, 02:34 PM
BBP, that made me smile. You get top funny comment of the day!

Thumper
05-04-2016, 03:41 PM
I was gonna say the same thing right after he posted it, but I was afraid it'd make his head swell. ;)

(Got'ta say, I snickered at that one.)

BarryBobPosthole
05-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Even a blind sow finds an acorn now and again!
BKB