PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I guess I'm an official "curmudgeon". (Warning: Thump Post)

Thumper
05-12-2016, 08:46 AM
I've been biting my tongue for years and have never once brought this up, but there's something VERY prevalent in every day life that's been driving me up the wall for many years now and a morning newscast just pushed me over the edge. Now mind you, I'm no spelling genius and FAR from a grammar expert, but there are a couple of things that really push my buttons. I'm not talking about using goofy spelling and grammar around here to add "color" to a post. Heck, I'm guilty of throwing around "youse guys", "I ain't got's nuttin'" and similar "enhancements" to my posts, but there are a couple "real-life" mistakes that drive me totally bonkers!

In print, one of the biggies that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck is the misuse of "there" and "their". I'm not talking about typos or occasional accidental usage, but I see it regularly (here even). I read a LOT of overseas blogs and it's EXTREMELY common with the Brits. So common (like EVERYBODY does it) that I'm wondering if they're (or should I say their??) taught differently with their Queen's English. I have no clue, but I VERY, VERY seldom see the word "their" used ... it's seems (with the Brits) the word "there" covers ANY situation. But, that's not what popped my cork this morning.

What drives me up the wall is so common I sometimes feel like throwing my shoe at the TV. I hear it on American Pickers constantly ... a show I love to watch. I hear it a bazillion times on EVERY show ... from Mike: "Me and Frank did this", or "Me and Frank did that". And from Frank: "Me and Mike did this", or "Me and Mike did that." I hear "Me and so-and-so ...." on half the shows I see on tv. I hear it on those stupid housewives shows Lynn watches ... and those people are MILLIONAIRES! I hear it during interviews of prominent people or actors. When did THAT become the norm?

That's the biggie for me. The number two most irritating thing I hear is the misuse of the word "nothing". How many times have you heard the phrase, "I don't know nothing?" Okay, I'd expect to hear it in the ghetto, but G.. Damn It, I hear it constantly from people who should know better! I remember as a kid in school, the word that set me off was the word (?) "ain't". I grew up in the city and every time I heard someone say "ain't", I would cringe and the first thought that popped into my head was "low class".

Okay, right here is where I should apologize to any guilty party(s) here. I'm far from perfect when it comes to grammar and I'm certainly no English major, but some things set me off. One that's always baffled me personally (even after Bucky explained the "rule" to me a few times) is the proper use of "who" and "whom". I THINK I get it right most times, but it's usually a guess and I'll admit I'm basically clueless as to the proper times to use "whom". I'll normally use it if it "sounds right". The point is, I do NOT want to offend anyone here ... it's the last thing I'd want to do. I have my own weaknesses when it comes to grammar.

So, what set me off on this tirade this morning? I just finished watching the local news. A news caster was interviewing a couple in front of their home. It was a large, beautiful home and was in a high-end neighborhood in Orlando. There was a Mercedes in the garage and a Cadillac SUV in the driveway. The couple was well dressed, very clean-cut (white, if it makes a difference), and ... well, there were NO negatives to be seen. During the short interview, the newscaster asked the husband for details about a fire that had occurred and he answered, "I really don't know NOTHING about it ... only what I heard from a neighbor!" That was followed with a statement by the wife ... something along the line of, "I never heard NOTHING about it until I saw it on the news." WTF??? WTF??? WTF??? WTF??????????????

Then I was pushed totally over the edge by the very next news story. It was a SCHOOL TEACHER being interviewed. (Did you catch that? SCHOOL TEACHER!) I can't even remember what the story was about, all I remember is her answering a question the reporter had asked. Her response started out as, "Well, ME and my assistant gathered the kids together and walked them out to the playground ....!" ARRRGGGHHHH! I had to walk away from the tv! WTF is happening to our educational system?

Again, I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes here. I may regret making this post and I'm sure I'll catch hell from some of you bozos. I'm sure there are plenty of grammar mistakes in this post that may be pointed out, but this stuff seriously grates on my nerves ... mostly when it comes from people who really should know better.

Captain
05-12-2016, 08:52 AM
I don't know nothing about what you talking about or who you directing it to (too) :D

Thumper
05-12-2016, 09:14 AM
There's a response from the first smart-ass .... next! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Their idiots.

My pet peeve isn't so much how the information is written, but how we choose to use his incredible new tool of information access. We have an abundance of information these days right at our fingertips. And instead, we choose to entertain ourselves and indulge our (used to be secret) narcissism. I know people on facebook who seemingly can't have fucking lunch without sharing it with everyone. Now what would compel people to share that much about lunch? What made them think it is that interesting to others? Now if they're eating a live three toed bandersnatch with a double side of boogers fried in elephant snot (Thumper), then yeah that is a bit interesting.
I used to post a lot of vacation diving pictures and fishing pictures from Dogtooth on the only two social media I use, Goodhunting and Facebook. But a few years ago I thought "Fuck it, nobody wants to see this shit." So now I spend less time taking pictures and more time enjoying it. That's just me. I don't mean to denigrate anyone else. But my point is its actually made my diving and fishing more enjoyable. Now if I catch a big one, I try to get a snap, mainly because people seem to doubt my veracity for some strange odd reason and if I don't post proof they don't believe me!

Anyway, I've hijacked Thump's post.

So their.

BKB

Thumper
05-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Don't even get me started on Facebook! We have a friend who's going through a divorce ... or, maybe not. They're (their?) fighting anyway. ;)

She posts EVERY morbid detail of their personal lives on her Facebook page. EVERYTHING! I swear, she starts posting around 5:00 am and continues until 1:00 - 2:00 am. I assume she takes catnaps in between posts because I don't know when she has time to sleep (or work).

As for my page, I was highly encouraged to start one. I finally put one up over a weekend a couple years ago, but never finished it. I have a TON of pics I'd like to post, but I've never posted another pic since that first weekend. About the only time I even go back to look at that page is on my birthday when birthday wishes start rolling in. I will admit, I'd like to either finish the page someday ... or simply take it down.

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Irregardless, of how you feel about there grammar usage...

One of my biggest bugaboo's is ending sentences with a preposition and how that is acceptable common usage and "proper" usage sounds way too formal when doing informal communications like email. Frequently, I'll do it even though I know it to be wrong.

Thumper
05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Irregardless, of how you feel about there grammar usage...

One of my biggest bugaboo's is ending sentences with a preposition and how that is acceptable common usage and "proper" usage sounds way too formal when doing informal communications like email. Frequently, I'll do it even though I know it to be wrong.

Although I hated English in school ... especially learning proper sentence structure, etc. ... I still remember many of the rules we had to memorize. Not ending a sentence with a preposition was one of them. I got into a discussion with a buddy of mine about that very thing a few years ago (he's a school teacher) and he said that rule actually comes from the old Latin rules of sentence structure and is no longer valid. HUH??? I couldn't believe he ... a danged TEACHER actually said that! I came home and did some research (purely for the sake of argument) and found he was right! It is acceptable these days (under certain circumstances) and that rule has gone into the trash for the most part. I had to apologize to him the next day. (he was my next door neighbor at the time) I guess it's a sign of my age. :(

BarryBobPosthole
05-12-2016, 10:24 AM
That's fucked up.

BKB

LJ3
05-12-2016, 10:31 AM
I read an article that said ending a sentence with a preposition is now an acceptable thing to do. I do ti sometimes out of laziness but that's only around here. It's precisely the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put!

Is ending a sentence with a preposition a recipe for bad grammar? If you must prepare letters, reports, proposals, or other written materials on a daily basis, it’s a good idea to have a firm grasp of the essential rules of English grammar. However, the topic of ending a sentence with a preposition is one that continues to inspire debate among those who are committed to promoting good writing.

What Is a Preposition?
Before discussing whether or not it’s acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition, it’s helpful to clarify what this term actually means. Essentially, a preposition is a word that is used to create a relationship between other words. In many cases, prepositions deal with concepts relating to space and time.

Examples of common prepositions within the English language include:

image: http://www.yourdictionary.com/index.php/pdf/articles/pdfthumbs/158.listof-prepositions.jpg

View & Download PDF
Is Ending a Sentence with a Preposition Ever Acceptable?
At one time, schoolchildren were taught that a sentence should never end with a preposition. However, this is a philosophy actually associated with Latin grammar. While many aspects of Latin have made their way into the English language, this particular grammar rule is not suited for modern English usage.

There are times when trying to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition creates unnecessary and awkward phrasing. For example, Winston Churchill once reportedly exclaimed, "That is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!" to mock someone who criticized him for ending a sentence with a preposition. Since the purpose of writing is to clearly communicate your thoughts and ideas, it’s perfectly acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition if the alternative would create confusion.

However, it may still be worth revising your sentences to avoid ending them with a preposition whenever possible if you wish to reduce the risk of controversy. Since there are still a number of people who believe ending a sentence with a preposition is incorrect, considering your audience’s thoughts on the issue is a wise idea—particularly when you’re trying to gain a new client or land an important job interview. For example, “Which department is she in?” could simply be rewritten to read as “She is in which department?” without influencing clarity or comprehension.

Read more at http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/prepositions/Ending-a-Sentence-with-a-Preposition.html#qrvDV8tBsrlDtsEM.99

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! The next thing you're going to tell me is that I don't need two spaces after a colons, periods, and questions marks, etc. What's next no Oxford comma?

BarryBobPosthole
05-12-2016, 10:50 AM
My fifth grade English teacher, whom we called Machine Gun Gist for her paddling technique, taught me that a preposition is 'anywhere a squirrel can go'. And to never end a sentence with one.

BKB

quercus alba
05-12-2016, 11:11 AM
A girl from Texas and a girl from New York were seated side by side on an airplane. The girl from Texas, being friendly and all, said: “So, where y’all from?”
The girl from New York said: “From a place where they know better than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence.”
The girl from Texas sat quietly for a few moments and then replied: “So, where y’all from, BITCH?”

Captain
05-12-2016, 04:15 PM
When I was a youngin' I say something like "where's my shotgun at" and my mother would ALWAYS say "behind that preposition at"...