PDA

View Full Version : Sausage time!!.....

Big Muddy
12-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Put up 30 pounds of venison/pork sausage....finished about 10pm last night....50/50 venison and pork butt....just to try something a little different, I made about 5 pounds with a boudin recipe, without the pig blood, of course....just cajun spices and rice....turned out pretty darned good....I put the other 25 pounds up into breakfast links and rings.

All the cutting, grinding, stuffing, etc. is a real pain in the arse, but I really enjoy doing it....finally rounded out my array of sausage-making equipment, by purchasing a meat mixing tub from Northern Tool....it's only the handle-operated one, but sure beats mixing all that ice-cold meat with my hands.

Pretty sure I could go to the store and just buy up a bunch of sausage, and save money, but it wouldn't be near as healthy and tasty.

BarryBobPosthole
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Eddie, do you put any smoke on any of the sausage you make?
BKB

Big Muddy
12-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Nope, not after I immediately make it....I just package and freeze it, then I smoke it on my Masterbilt smoker, when we get ready to eat some of it....not the boudin, however, it's best left un-smoked, and just added to various dishes.

Bwana
12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
So how did the mixer work out for you eddie?

Dad bought one a few years ago from Cabelas and I have to say, I was not impressed. The meat had to be fairly watered down in order to get it to mix very well as the sides would push out causing the paddle bar in the inside to slip out of it's cog. In an effort to fix it a frame of heavier metal was welded around it but rather then having to clean yet another piece of equipment, I just roll up my sleeves and do it the old fashioned way.

Hopefully yours is the cat's meow.

Big Muddy
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Not one bit of problem, whatsoever....worked like a charm....maybe Northern's is designed differently....best $109 bucks I ever spent.