PDA

View Full Version : Locators

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2016, 02:09 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my plain old Lowrance locator and Garmin handheld GPS with one of the new combination units on my big boat. I've always used Lowrance products, with the exception of a ID-1 Humminbird I bought when LCDs first came out. But the horror stories I have heard about Lowrance service these days has me wondering if I shouldn't go a different direction. I've been reading up on the different products and also have read several reviews and to be hnest, it almost sounds like they all suck. The reviews typically are either five stars if the customer has never had any problems at all or they are one star if they've had to call anybody's customer service for anything at all.

Thought i'd ask the knowledgeable folks here what they thought. So my question is, what forum do those guys hang out in?

No seriously, let me know if you've had any experience with the newer products with Structure Scan, HD screens and so forth and if you had to do it again what you'd do differently.

BKB

Bwana
05-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Just replaced mine last year? I read some of the same things you've read and ended up going with a Hummingbird 898-something or other. Will have to look at home to see exactly which model it was but so far I have been quite pleased.

This is the first unit I have had with a GPS unit and I have to say I REALLY like it. Get a bite while trolling, hit the waypoint button, and swing back over the same spot. Plus if you are fishing in the dark or on a new lake, it comes in REAL handy when you need to find your way back.

If you are interested I can check to see what my unit is and Happy Hunting.

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2016, 02:46 PM
What size screen is yours, Bwana? There are some really wide screens available but the one I want will prolly have a seven inch screen. I just don't have a need (I don't think) for anything much bigger. Heck, my little five inch screen now noght blinds me something fierce if I don't keep it cranked low and even then I end up shading it with my hand.

Thanks for the info!

BKB