PDA

View Full Version : I'm not trying to upstage ole Cap's tarpon trip, but.....

Big Muddy
05-22-2016, 09:57 AM
My son and I had a pretty darned good time, yesterday..... ;)

He likes to bass fish, and he caught prolly 15-20 over 3 lbs.

I was just along to run the boat, but I did get to snag a crappie every now and then.

Thumper
05-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Are your crappie bigger than Cappy's? Or are your arms longer than his? ;)

(nice fishies)

Fido
05-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Just wondering what kind of set-up do you use for crappie fishing? Got an 84 acre private lake that has crappie and the owner has given me access tooo it.

airbud7
05-22-2016, 10:45 AM
Way to go Muddy!

Just wondering what kind of set-up do you use for crappie fishing? Got an 84 acre private lake that has crappie and the owner has given me access tooo it.

Have fun Fido/ worms or a little jig works every time...

Big Muddy
05-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Are your crappie bigger than Cappy's? Or are your arms longer than his? ;)

(nice fishies)

Answer is "BOFF". ;););)

BarryBobPosthole
05-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Birddog and i fished our guts out today and only managed two fish. Glad to see you had some better luck! It sure was purty day to be out and about here today though. We saw a big baldy harrassing a cream shitter until he blew his lunch and then the eagle swooped down and ate the fish he puked up right off the water. First time I've seen that move. And the buzzards were a he'ing and a she'ing all over the place.

And them's some purty legs.

BKB

Thumper
05-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Anybody notice, the older P-hole gets, the more he talks like Gunther? ;)

Captain
05-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Old has less to do with it than the likker.. :)

Nice feesh Muddy! I need to come out there and go with ya sometime.

Big Muddy
05-22-2016, 08:26 PM
We went back to the same honey hole, this afternoon, and my son caught these two, right after we got there....they didn't need any "long-arming"....big one weighed 3.2 lbs, and the other one was 2.8 lbs.....ending up, putting about 20 in the cooler.

And, Cap, you got an open invitation, any time you want!!!

Captain
05-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Man now I'm hose really ARE slabs without having to add nothin'.
Congrats. That's one heck of a day!

Arty
05-23-2016, 06:29 AM
Ddddaaaaannng those are big crappie!

Thumper
05-23-2016, 08:06 AM
I have to admit, I actually didn't realize Crappie got that big. Dang!

Big Muddy
05-23-2016, 08:45 AM
I'll hafta brag a little bit about this 20 acre pond....a few years ago, I purchased 50% ownership in it with a relative, who has no desire to fish or maintain it....I began managing it, intensively, and the fruits of my labor are now being realized.

The MS Dept. of Fisheries biologist told me it would be impossible for me to grow large crappie in a land-locked pond because the crappie would become over-populated and stunted....I told him I wanted to attempt it, anyday'umway, and sent him on his way.

I just used a little common sense approach, and it seems to have worked out rather nicely.

BarryBobPosthole
05-23-2016, 08:59 AM
You did good! Those are some slabs! And 20 acres is the perfect size pond.

What predators do you have in it? I always figured a few big flathead would take care of a lot of perch and crappie fingerlings.

BKB

LJ3
05-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Nice job Edwardo & Son!

Big Muddy
05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
You did good! Those are some slabs! And 20 acres is the perfect size pond.

What predators do you have in it? I always figured a few big flathead would take care of a lot of perch and crappie fingerlings.

BKB

That is a big factor, Phole....when I got the pond, I didn't drain it or kill off the existing fish....it was already stocked with a few channel cat and bream, so I added 500 white crappie and 500 black crappie to get them established....they were about 5 inches long, when I put them in....that worked well, so the next year, I then added 200 Florida bass....the next year I added 100 spotted gar....I didn't want those big ole gator gars, so I opted for spotted gar, which only get up to about 10 pounds.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also added 25 grass carp about 12 pounds each, to help with the vegetation.

I can always adjust my program, but for now, I'm tickled pink !!!

quercus alba
05-23-2016, 02:54 PM
That's gar-ruh in Arkansas

Big Muddy
05-23-2016, 07:36 PM

Fido, look at the middle pic in my initial post, where I'm holding my jig pole under my arm, next to the trolling motor.... you can see my little 9 ft. jig pole that I use....it weighs only about 3 ozs., when it's fully loaded with 8 lb. golden Stren....some folks down here, just use an 8 or 9 ft. fly rod....I prefer light uncomplicated rods and reels.

Here's pics of my favorite jig(#8 hook) and the rod/reel combo....I buy all my crappie stuff from Slater's Jigs in Indianola, MS....been doing business with them for 35 years....good reliable folks.

https://www.slatersjigs.com/crappie-poles/slaters-jignpole.html

Fido
05-23-2016, 11:01 PM
Thanks Ed, will give it a try as we are going tooo have some real decent weather this week!

Big Muddy
05-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Btw, I haven't bought a minnow in 40 years, but lots of folks down here like to top off their jig hooks with a minnow....that may work for you up your way, too.