PDA

View Full Version : Weekend plans

DeputyDog
05-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Do any of you have any big plans for the holiday weekend?

Of course most of you know where I'll be. I'm going to be at Indy as usual. This year will be the 35th Indy 500 that I've attended. They announced a couple weeks ago that all of the reserved seating, over 250,000 seats, have been sold out along with all of the suites including several extra temporary suites they've put up.

They also just announced that all general admission tickets have also been sold. They have determined that they cannot possibly fit any more people at the Speedway and for the first time since the '50s the race telecast will be shown live in the Indy area.

Chicken Dinner
05-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Man, I had some buddies that used to go to the 500 every year back in the late 80's and early 90's. It's quite the party from what I understand. One of them finally ended up in jail and I think that was the end of it. Our pool opens Friday night with a big happy hour. So, I'll kick the summer off with that. We've also got a neighborhood block party on Sunday and some folks coming over on Monday. (I think I'm going to throw some beef ribs on the Egg.) Other than that, I'll watch a bunch of old war movies and be generally thankful for those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom.

Thumper
05-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow! Now that they will FINALLY show it on tv, there's no reason to go to the track! ;)

I used to go occasionally, but I think the last time I went to Indy was 1984 (Rick Mears won it in a Penske car). I remember a really bad wreck, but can't even remember the guy's name (Bedford? Bradford?). It was odd, he was a sports announcer (I think) who had decided to become a driver. It's usually the other way around, the drivers become sports announcers! He lived, but it was nasty and he got pretty banged up.

After that, I was always in Canada hunting the Spring Bear season and fishing for walleye during Indy and haven't been there since.

My next door neighbor at the time (in California) was like you. He'd been to every race for many years and it was always an annual thing with him. I have no clue how many he'd been to (or has been to) as we lost contact once I moved away after the '89 race. He's probably STILL going, unless something has drastically changed in his life.

No specific plans for us this weekend, other than preparing for our New England trip next week.

DeputyDog
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
It's been shown live everywhere except Central Indiana since 1986. I'm about 150 miles north of Indy so we get it live here but nothing compares to being there. They do show it during prime time on race day in Indy though so it's not like people there don't get a chance to watch if they want to.

The guy you're thinking of is Pat Bedard. He as a writer for Road and Track or one of the other Motorsports magazines. He had been a club sports car driver and made the move to Indycars. The results were about what you'd expect. There is a video of that crash on YouTube.

Thumper
05-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Yep, I just Googled the video ... it was a nasty one! That sure is a tribute to the integrity of those pods ... even way back then. That's one lucky dude! Did he continue racing after that crash? Or did he go back to writing?

Thumper
05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Never mind, I Googled him. Looks like he quit racing after that crash and continued writing for Car and Driver. I can't say I don't blame him!

BarryBobPosthole
05-25-2016, 02:12 PM
No big plans here. Our weather is supposed to be rainy and my wife has to work all weekend so it'll be the normal stuff for me. I may smoke some meat and I'll for sure raise a glass to absent friends and veterans. Might even raise two glasses.
And I'll watch baseball, and the indy, and the Thunder if they're still playing.

BKB

Thumper
05-25-2016, 03:22 PM
No big plans here. Our weather is supposed to be rainy and my wife has to work all weekend so it'll be the normal stuff for me. I may smoke some meat and I'll for sure raise a glass to absent friends and veterans. Might even raise two glasses.
And I'll watch baseball, and the indy, and the Thunder if they're still playing.

BKB

Turn in your man card! No mention of Charlotte?

BarryBobPosthole
05-25-2016, 03:51 PM
I won't go out of my way to watch it. They've about lost me, to be honest.

BKB

DeputyDog
05-25-2016, 04:36 PM
If you're gonna watch Indy look for me. I'll wave to ya.

Watch a few of the Indycar races and you might get hooked. I just wish ABC had a better announcing team. Allen Bestwick is good but the analysts, Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear, are a bit boring. You can always make it more exciting by playing a drinking game and taking a drink every time Goodyear talks about the "weight jackers" or other "tools in the car". The problem is you probably won't be sober by the end of the race.

I would almost recommend watching the race and listening to the radio broadcast of it.

BarryBobPosthole
05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
I grew up listenng to the race on the radio every year. I couldn't tell you who they were. But I pulled for AJ Foyt in those races.

BKB

LJ3
05-25-2016, 08:50 PM
I'ma fish on the bay. I'ma hopefully fish on the river. And prolly grill stuff.

Captain
05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm hauling hay for two days starting Friday. The last 3 fields are ready to bale tomorrow.
Then hopefully rest Sunday...

Big Muddy
05-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Grandkids and their friends are coming to the lake house to water ski, tube, and eat us outta house and home.

Boilt crawfish, smoked butt, ribs, and more boilt crawfish.

Captain
05-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Don't forget copious amounts of boilt peanuts.

Thumper
05-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Don't forget copious amounts of boilt peanuts.

I read his food list and didn't get too excited. BUT, boilt peanuts???? Hey Muddy, ya' gots room for one more? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Cards-Nats open a four game series tonight. Reckon it will be a good one!

BKb

quercus alba
05-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Might watch the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit trilogies. Maybe scorch some meat and veggies. Most definitely have an afternoon nap or three.

Old geezer stuff

LJ3
05-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Cards-Nats open a four game series tonight. Reckon it will be a good one!

BKb

I reckon we're gonna be using a broom again :)

Chicken Dinner
05-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Careful, that might be considered a microgressoon as it could hurt Barry's feels.

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Bullying, plain and simple.

I've been re-watching Band of Brothers this week. Its kind of an annual thing. Every time I watch it, the more impressed I am of the job those guys did in WWII.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Love that series. Absolutely incredible what we and our allies accomplished in 4.5 years. One if my traditions is the annual viewing of The Longest Day. The list of actors with roles in that movie is awesome.

BarryBobPosthole
05-27-2016, 08:41 AM
I watched The Longest Day just the other day. What a star packed movie. Wasn't it old John's birthday this week?

I'd headed down to my hometown a little later today. Taking my parents to lunch and then going to hopefully surprise old Mallard Fillmore at his retirement party this afternoon down at City Hall. I ain't for certain, but i'd imagine that one might spill over to his front yard at some point, and likely to also spill over to tomorrow.

BkB

Chicken Dinner
05-27-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm actually getting a chance to spend a couple of days in Normandy this summer. (Not that I need another reason to hate the French!). I'm really looking forward to seeing those battlefields in person.

LJ3
05-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Let's talk more about the Nats Cards series.

Thumper
05-27-2016, 11:10 AM
LJ!!! GO TO YOUR ROOM!!

Chicken Dinner
05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Let's talk more about the Nats Cards series.

Tough sledding when you lose to a team's #5 starter 2-1.

Hombre
05-27-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm just happy to be home for the weekend. We had originally planned a trip to Lake Chelan which may be one of the clearest, and nicest lakes I've been too. That being said I saw one too many posts on Facebook about "Traffic" or how many people will be there. So, canceled the trip and it will be a weekend at home.

1. Drinks
2. BBQ
3. Golf
4. Sleep

Seems about right, not necessarily in that order.

johnboy
05-27-2016, 10:24 PM
My son was doing some work on the west coast of the Island so picked him up this aft and we are having a great visit. Don't get to see him near often enough.

BarryBobPosthole
05-28-2016, 01:18 AM
As predicted........

BKB

airbud7
05-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Big Muddy
05-28-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm just happy to be home for the weekend. We had originally planned a trip to Lake Chelan which may be one of the clearest, and nicest lakes I've been too. That being said I saw one too many posts on Facebook about "Traffic" or how many people will be there. So, canceled the trip and it will be a weekend at home.

1. Drinks
2. BBQ
3. Golf
4. Sleep

Seems about right, not necessarily in that order.

Dang, Hombre, when I first glanced at your post, I though you said "sheep"!!!!! ;););)

Hombre
05-28-2016, 12:57 PM
No I moved from Oklahoma to Washington, they frown on sheep extra curricular activity here

airbud7
05-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Dang, Hombre, when I first glanced at your post, I though you said "sheep"!!!!! ;););)

hahahaha...Now thats funny stuff right there^...Thanks Muddy/ you made my day!(weekend)

Y'all fellers have fun and dont forget the Military and Leo's that help us have this freedom...They fight for our 6!

Captain
05-28-2016, 02:02 PM
170 more to move and I'll be headed back for NC.

Think the wife is going to the lake place this weekend so no hurry for me to get home. Nothing there but more work....

BarryBobPosthole
05-28-2016, 02:39 PM
What you got the thermostat set on in the cab of that tractor?

BKB

jb
05-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Shooting at 600 birds that I don't have to clean or cook, then a few days with the family.

Captain
05-28-2016, 03:37 PM
What you got the thermostat set on in the cab of that tractor? BKB

It helps A LOT but it ain't cold by any means. And nothin' reduced the bumps and bouncing.

airbud7
05-28-2016, 03:55 PM
=Captain;83360 And nothin' reduced the bumps and bouncing.

hemorrhoids cappy^?......is there something we should know?...lol...j/k

airbud7
05-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Did I just double post?.......Have fun y'all!

BarryBobPosthole
05-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Airbud, when you get older, yur nutsack tends to stretch and if you ain't careful you end up sitting on your nads. A bouncy seat really keeps you on your toes. As does the cold water in the toilet.....

and so on.

BKB

Thumper
05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Did I just double post?.......Have fun y'all!

I just fixed it. ;)