PDA

View Full Version : You Will Like This!

Big Skyz
05-27-2016, 10:12 AM
My oldest daughter just graduated from high school last weekend. For her final project in Advanced Art I encouraged her to do an oil painting. She has only done one other oil painting ever and I wanted her to try again. The first one was of a horse and didn't turn out too bad, but I think she really out did herself on this dog portrait. He looks quite a bit like our old dog Taz. BBP, I also thought you might like a look-see at this one as you had a similar pup in your life.
Enjoy
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Danielle%20Adams%205-24-16%20Oil%20Painting_zpso2vyuscr.jpg

Thumper
05-27-2016, 11:05 AM
The collective talent in your family never ceases to amaze me. Job well done!

B/S, I feel like a total dip-shit playing junior art critic and admittedly, I personally can't draw a stick man and could screw up a paint-by-numbers piece. Even my signature is totally illegible! But I can't help staring at that eyeball on the right (dog's left eye). Every time I glance at the pic, my eyes are automatically drawn to it. Is it just me or is it kind'a ... "off"? You're the expert ... if you had to critique a student's art, would YOU see a problem there? Once I've stared at it, I can't get away from it.

That said ... did I mention the unbelievable talent your family possesses?

LJ3
05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Very nice. I like the depth of field work she did with this!

Big Skyz
05-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Thump the eye was dead-on accurate to the reference she used. Some things do get lost between the finished original and a photograph. It was very difficult to take a picture of because oil paint is really shiny and reflective. All I can say is that in real life if you viewed the painting I don't think you would be as drawn to that eye. I'm literally faulting the camera on this one.

Big Muddy
05-27-2016, 11:29 AM
PERFECT, and tell your daughter I said so !!!....the first thing that caught my attention was the dog's RIGHT eye....I thought it might be the reflection of a duck, goose, or game bird that the dog was looking up at it....which, if it is, would be really cool.

LJ3
05-27-2016, 11:31 AM
That's how it's sposed to be :) Portraiture is about the eyes. They should be in focal plane and it's up to the arteest, how much of the foreground and background to reveal to the viewer.

In my humble opinion, anyway :)

Thumper
05-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Got it B/S ... I figured it was just me. Great work! I wish I could ... well, never mind ... I'm hopeless.

Bwana
05-27-2016, 06:07 PM
The artistic gene definitely runs deep in your family. Tell D I am MOST impressed!

BarryBobPosthole
05-28-2016, 01:30 AM
There's a springer spirit that you have to have endured them (it's endured but also enjoyed but endured just seems more accurate) to understand them. You girl obviously understands them because she captured it well.

i still plan to commission you some day to do a surprise piece of my springer Zuzu, now dead and gone, as a surprise for my wife. I just have to stop buying so much fishing tackle.

Our current model, a six year old black and white springer has the classic olive colored eyes. Zu had olive eyes and they looked right through you.

BKB