PDA

View Full Version : You know this country is REALLY screwed up

quercus alba
05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
when Brokeback Mountain is rated higher than The Outlaw Josie Wales in the best all-time westerns list

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-57-greatest-westerns-ever-ranked/ar-BBtuzQp?li=BBnb7Kz

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Brokeback Mountain isn't a western. Neither is No Country For Old Men (which I like a lot but its not a western).

WTf is this guy's idea of what constututes awestern? It has a horse in it?

MSN is problem one. This idiot, whoever he is is problem two.

And any top whatever list that doesn't have Tombstone, The Outlaw Josie Wales, Unforgiven, Red River, and Lonesome Dove in its top five is pretty much worthless.

And Rango is a fucking cartoon.

And Blazing Saddles is a comedy, not a western. If we're includng those where is Cat Ballou and Paint Your Wagon (which is a musical not a western).

And where is the original 310 to Yuma, who some might consider better?

And where is Bandelero?

And why so many second rate Sergio Leone movies?

This may require an Executive Order or something to straighten out.

And this close to Memorial Day too.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2016, 12:38 PM
True story, but I was at the beach on vacation and wandered into a book store on a rainy day. I picked out a book (hardback, no less) that looked good as it had a couple of short stories in it and had some sticker on it that it had won some literary award. Imagine my surprise when them two cowboys started getting busy with it up on Brokeback Mountain...

Big Muddy
05-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I don't know what they're classified as, but I've watched Josie Wales, the G-B-U, Pale Rider, and Unforgiven no less than 50 times, EACH. ;)

quercus alba
05-31-2016, 01:07 PM
couldn't have said it better Posthole.

Jack Elam had some of the best quotes ever in Rio Lobo (top ten in my book)....."Sure thing, Colonel. If you hear a loud noise, it'll be Mr. Ketchum dyin'"

"Well, I'll be a suck-egg mule-! Legs like *that*, and she can *shoot*, too!"

"those triggers are *wired back*! So you can see what happens if my *thumbs* slip; And my thumbs *ain't* as strong as they *used* to be!"

airbud7
05-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Yea Posthole hit the bullseye with that post/ couldn't agree more....

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 01:49 PM
True story, but I was at the beach on vacation and wandered into a book store on a rainy day. I picked out a book (hardback, no less) that looked good as it had a couple of short stories in it and had some sticker on it that it had won some literary award. Imagine my surprise when them two cowboys started getting busy with it up on Brokeback Mountain...

Next time you're looking for a western try the two Josey Wales novels by Forrest Carter.
They're likely out of print but you can still order them on Amazon. Excellent books, and like most books, better than the movie if you can believe that.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2016, 01:57 PM
That's really saying something when it comes to Josey Wales. I just watched that one, again, a couple of weeks ago. (Damn, I hate me some Kansas red legs...). Pale Rider is another one of my favorite Eastwood westerns. True Grit, the original and the remake are right up there as well.

I'll try to look for those novels.

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 02:13 PM
And they left so many great westerns off that list it pisses me off.

I don't think there was a Louis Lamour on the list.

Conagher, Crossfire Trail, Last Stand at Saber River, How the Friggin West Was friggin Won forchrissakes, The Quick and the dead, and on and on and on......

And where's Tom Horn?

BKB

airbud7
05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Fuck it...lets make our own GH best all-time westerns list....

1-Tombstone...

quercus alba
05-31-2016, 02:31 PM
Where's the Sackett's? Rango over The Quick and the Dead?

I'm offended that broke over on the mountain is mentioned in the same breath as western

quercus alba
05-31-2016, 02:34 PM
#1 lonesome dove

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't know if I can pick any of my top five over one another. if I had to, I think i'd pick Red River. The acting is amazing. It was made in 1948 and still is one of the most watchable movies ever. John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Walter brennan, Harry Carey Jr, Joanna Dru, the cast is pretty damn good too.
And my Great Uncle Dennis was in it as an extra injun. So you can imagine my family watched it often.

BKB

Here's his pic when he was out in Hollywood shooting pictures in the 30s and 40s. He was a full blood and from his stories full of wild oats too!

Thumper
05-31-2016, 02:52 PM
There sure are a bunch'a curmudgeonly wanna-be cowboys around this joint!

LJ3
05-31-2016, 03:02 PM
You got that right Jimmy!

airbud7
05-31-2016, 03:12 PM
And my Great Uncle Dennis was in it as an extra injun. So you can imagine my family watched it often.

BKB

Here's his pic when he was out in Hollywood shooting pictures in the 30s and 40s. He was a full blood and from his stories full of wild oats too!

Cool stuff Barry^....you kin to famous people dude!

PS: My sister won a wet tea shirt contest once...do that count as famous?

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Depends, was it sweet or insweet?

And my Uncle Dennis was probably known more around Oklahoma for his paintings. There used to be a chain of motel/restaurants in the 50s and 60s called The Black Angus and he painted the murals on their walls. My folks have one of my favorites of his that he painted on a piece of sheetrock. He was a talented guy but not a famous one.

BKB

HideHunter
05-31-2016, 03:39 PM
lol.. that boy don't know no more about a western than a pig knows about Christmas...