PDA

View Full Version : Water Wings

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 05:38 PM
My five year old grandson was over today and played in the pool all dang day long. I can tell you from personal experience he's gonna sleep good tonght! (none of that grammatically correct so fuckit)

His grandma put water wings on him at two and he's worn a variation of those since he stillcan't swim a lick. it appears its going to be up to Papa to remedy thats since nobody else seems overly concerned.
Something happened today that scared the bejeebers outof him. He's gotten so used to those damned water wings that after he took them off to get out, he went back in to go get a toy he left in the pool and stepped right off the last step without thnking. I wasn't too concerned as I had just shown him today that he can actually touch there. He, of course, panicked. So i stepped onestep down and reached out a hand that he had to really reach for. It did help to take his mind off the water to focus on my hand, but he was still a little whiney.Hey, he's five what can I say.
So soon as I get back from vacation he's going to go to Papa's Swimming School for Boys Who Shouldy Know How toSwim every day mtil we learn it.

I need to work on my tan some more anyway.

BKB

Thumper
05-31-2016, 05:41 PM
I hope to GAWD you have tan lines! :hair

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2016, 05:43 PM
There's places on me that can be seen from the iSS.

BKB

Thumper
05-31-2016, 05:49 PM
They could prolly see mine too ... but I'm sure we're talkin' 'bout two different things here. :D

quercus alba
05-31-2016, 08:51 PM
just in case you two missed the memo, tan line conversations are limited strictly to females under 45. 2nd violation means

Captain
05-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Posthole your story was good but this thread when downhill from there..... ;)

Hombre
06-01-2016, 12:55 AM
https://youtu.be/kT2KROiSXDg

Thumper
06-01-2016, 08:05 AM
I'll help you out a little bit Hombre. ;)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kT2KROiSXDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LJ3
06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Let me know if you need any advice on the sequencing of lessons for swimming. I have a bit of experience in this area. Getting them to understand they're safe before anything is key. Otherwise it makes everything else very difficult. Personally I think water wings and floaty vests and all that crap makes it much harder to learn to swim and to actually be safe.

BarryBobPosthole
06-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks, Len! I agree. I was a lifeguard at one time in my life and had my Water Safety Instructor cert. Man, did I ever have a Zonker-like tan that summer. I should have went on the circuit!

But yep, you gotta let 'em have enough play time to get comfortable in the water and they're learning without even knowing it.

BKB

Thumper
06-01-2016, 09:53 AM
I took my boy to swim lessons when he was something like 6 months old believe it or not. What fascinated me (and scared the bejeebers out'ta me at the same time) is, we'd actually dunk them under water and they'd naturally hold their breath. I'm talking INFANTS here. If I remember correctly, we'd blow in the baby's face first, then shove 'em under. Before long, we had 'em "dog paddling" and floating with "respect" for the water, but no real fear. He could always "swim" not long after those (and more) lessons, but he was swimming like a fish at 5 or 6.