PDA

View Full Version : Cool! Thank you eBay!

Thumper
06-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Lynn's salary pretty much goes to her car expenses, medical insurance and the rest goes into her IRA and 401K. As I've stated before, we basically live off of my Social Security (we're pretty frugal). It pays the bills ... but there's really nothing left over. I consider eBay our "play money". The harder I work at it, the harder we can play. The great part about it is, I also have FUN with eBay, so it's a win/win situation IMHO.

We're leaving Sunday for New England and will be staying in Portland Maine. We'll be renting a car and have quite a bit of touristy stuff planned for our "off time". The rest of the time, since it's lobster season, we plan on stuffing our pie-holes! We'll be there all week, so I figure by time we return, we'll have had our fill of lobster for a while. This will be a nice change of pace because most of our weekend getaways are relatively local. Mostly Florida, from Key West to Pensacola. Then we'll throw in a trip here and there in the S.E., maybe as far as New Orleans or even Texas ... in other words, domestic travel.

Well, Lynn has ALWAYS wanted to go to Italy. Europe isn't my bag, but I've done a little traveling there, mostly France (unless you want to count the European side of Russia). Ok, last night, I started digging through my PayPal account. It took a big hit when I paid cash for my truck last November, plus we took a 2-week trip to Los Angeles around that same time. BUT ... I've had some good months and as of this morning, I have a trip put together. All I'm doing now is working a deal on hotel rooms in Italy so we can visit a few days. Here's the plan. Fly to Amsterdam for a short visit. Continue on to Italy for a day or two, then hop on a 12-night cruise (Italy, Greece and Turkey), return to Venice and spend another couple days playing tourist. By then, I should be broke and will have to return home to get back to work on eBay. Here's the cruise itinerary: (While in Turkey, maybe we can take an excursion next door into Syria to see what's going on there!) :D

DAY DATE PORT
Tue Sep 27 Venice, Italy
Wed Sep 28 At Sea
Thu Sep 29 Olympia (Katakolon), Greece
Fri Sep 30 Athens (Piraeus), Greece
Sat Oct 1 The Dardanelles (Cruising)
Sat Oct 1 Istanbul, Turkey
Sun Oct 2 Istanbul, Turkey
Mon Oct 3 Lesbos (Mytilene), Greece
Tue Oct 4 Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey
Wed Oct 5 Santorini, Greece
Thu Oct 6 Argostoli, Greece
Fri Oct 7 At Sea
Sat Oct 8 Venice, Italy
Sun Oct 9 Venice, Italy Disembark

I'm within a few hours of having it all put together and pulling the trigger! :D

BarryBobPosthole
06-01-2016, 01:08 PM
They're gonna need a bigger boat!

Looks like an awesome trip!

And if anybody wants to give you a burning sugar cube soaked in green stuff, take it! (but put it out first)

BKB

Big Muddy
06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Maybe you can learn to dance, while you're over there. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/rawfm/videos/10153220875965329/

Captain
06-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Note to self: buy stock in chicken futures in those countries. :)

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm scared to think about the damage Jimmy can do to those cruise ship buffets. Bon voyage!

Arty
06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Have fun dufe!

Bwana
06-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a grand adventure and glad to see you are final able to get back to being an international tourist again.

Enjoy!

Thumper
06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Awww heck, it's still almost 4 months down the road (end of September). Just trying to get the last of the details tied down and I'll pull the trigger. It ain't a done deal yet, but really close.

DeputyDog
06-01-2016, 02:17 PM
A few years ago we took a similar trip. Flew into Paris, couple of days there, overnight train to Rome, couple of days there, then train to Venice for a day then a 7 day cruise to Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens (Piraeus) Greece, Izmir Turkey, Split Croatia, then back to Venice for a couple more days then the overnight train back to Paris for a day then flew back home.

You will love Venice even though it's all touristy and Turkey was amazing. The Greek isles are super beautiful too.

Thumper
06-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Being born and raised in Florida, I do everything I can to AVOID tourists ... and when I travel, I STILL try to avoid tourists or even acting like one. Of course, sometimes, that's impossible. BUT ... I always try to take tourist season into account when I travel. June - August is the high season in Venice and the place is swarming with wall-to-wall tourists ... September - November is ideal IMHO ... it's cooler mid-60's/70's (F) and the tourists are close to non-existent! MY kind of travel! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-01-2016, 03:42 PM
A very large man in shorts and a flowery shirt doesn't look like a tourist at all.

Great disguise!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2016, 03:55 PM
It sure seems like the best way to avoid tourists might be to move away from Florida...

airbud7
06-01-2016, 04:50 PM
I went to Paris last week and gonna go to Rome next week............

Paris TN
Rome Ga
;)

DeputyDog
06-01-2016, 05:35 PM
A very large man in shorts and a flowery shirt doesn't look like a tourist at all.

Great disguise!

BKB

Good one. I had to laugh at that one.

Thumper
06-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Bite me. I only wear shorts (and usually no shirt) around the house. With all the surgical scars and skin grafts, it's long pants and shirts at all times these days (so I don't scare little kids and give them nightmares about some Frankenstein they saw walking the beach). I love Hawaiian shirts, but for some reason, none of mine fit anymore, so I now travel incognito in plain old boring old man shirts. Ha! So there! ;)

Arty
06-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Bite me. I only wear shorts (and usually no shirt) around the house. With all the surgical scars and skin grafts, it's long pants and shirts at all times these days (so I don't scare little kids and give them nightmares about some Frankenstein they saw walking the beach). I love Hawaiian shirts, but for some reason, none of mine fit anymore, so I now travel incognito in plain old boring old man shirts. Ha! So there! ;)
You need a colonel sanders suit. Seems fitting for you.

Thumper
06-02-2016, 07:34 AM
You need a colonel sanders suit. Seems fitting for you.

Ha! NOTHING fits anymore! :(