PDA

View Full Version : Learned sumpin' new today.

Thumper
06-03-2016, 06:12 PM
I went to an estate sale this morning and found a few boxes of old .22 ammo in a dresser drawer. I went ahead and threw them in my bag and bought them in a bundle with the other various pieces of junk I'd collected. Once I got the stuff home and started a quick inventory, I noticed one box of the .22 ammo was an odd size I'd never heard of before. I'm sure you pro's and old-timers know all about it, but I've always been pretty much of a modern firearms guy and really don't pay much attention to the older stuff. (I had to Google it) Anyway, I thought I'd throw this up here because I thought it was kinda cool ... plus, as I said, I learned sumpin' new.

It's an old box of .22 W.R.F. ammo. No clue what I'm gonna do with it, but it's kind'a neat I guess.

7198 7199

7200 7201

Arty
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Hey puMpHEad.

You showed us what you bought
You showed us what it looks like

You DIDNT TELL us what you learnt.

What's it stand for?

quercus alba
06-03-2016, 07:11 PM
if i'm not mistooken (and I find myself mistooken more and more often) I think it is the 22 long which sets in the middle twixt the 22 short and 22 long rifle.

Thumper
06-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Hey puMpHEad.

You showed us what you bought
You showed us what it looks like

You DIDNT TELL us what you learnt.

What's it stand for?

.22 W.R.F. = .22 Winchester Rim Fire

Here's the diff. (L. to Right) - .22 LR, .22 WRF and the .22 Mag.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BreKukGdT0k/U9pcvgWcC2I/AAAAAAAAG3w/1FL14AHKpRs/s1600/22WRF001_zps4a67d95a.jpg

From Wiki:

The .22 Winchester Rimfire (commonly called the .22 WRF) is an American rimfire rifle cartridge.

Introduced in the Winchester M1890 slide rifle, it had a flat-nose slug, and is identical to the .22 Remington Special (which differed only in having a roundnosed slug). It uses a flat-based, inside-lubricated bullet, which differs from the outside-lube slug of the .22 Short, Long, LR, and Extra Long rounds.

When introduced, the .22 WRF "was the first notable improvement in the killing power" over the .22 LR, and was able to kill cleaner at up to 75 yd (70 m). It is somewhat less accurate than the .22 LR and is most suited to hunting small game such as rabbits or prairie dogs.

Shortly before World War II, propellants were developed that greatly increased the effectiveness of the .22 LR. These new "High Velocity" loadings offered a nearly 300fps increase in velocity over the original 1050fps .22 LR load. This increase in power of the smaller round, coupled with its cheaper price and sheer number of rifles already owned in .22 LR, effectively killed the .22 WRF.

A variety of Winchester, Remington, and Stevens single-shot and repeater rifles were offered from 1890 onward, but new rifles are not made for this cartridge. .22 WRF ammunition is periodically offered by commercial makers for use in the old guns. It can be fired in any rifle chambered for the more powerful .22 WMR. The shorter WRF cartridge may be limited to single shot use in WMR rifles, since it may not feed from WMR-length magazines, depending on design.

airbud7
06-03-2016, 08:26 PM
if i'm not mistooken (and I find myself mistooken more and more often) I think it is the 22 long which sets in the middle twixt the 22 short and 22 long rifle.

Yep^....But i've been mistooken before to....;)

Arty
06-03-2016, 09:42 PM
.22 W.R.F. = .22 Winchester Rim Fire Here's the diff. (L. to Right) - .22 LR, .22 WRF and the .22 Mag. From Wiki: The .22 Winchester Rimfire (commonly called the .22 WRF) is an American rimfire rifle cartridge. Introduced in the Winchester M1890 slide rifle, it had a flat-nose slug, and is identical to the .22 Remington Special (which differed only in having a roundnosed slug). It uses a flat-based, inside-lubricated bullet, which differs from the outside-lube slug of the .22 Short, Long, LR, and Extra Long rounds. When introduced, the .22 WRF "was the first notable improvement in the killing power" over the .22 LR, and was able to kill cleaner at up to 75 yd (70 m). It is somewhat less accurate than the .22 LR and is most suited to hunting small game such as rabbits or prairie dogs. Shortly before World War II, propellants were developed that greatly increased the effectiveness of the .22 LR. These new "High Velocity" loadings offered a nearly 300fps increase in velocity over the original 1050fps .22 LR load. This increase in power of the smaller round, coupled with its cheaper price and sheer number of rifles already owned in .22 LR, effectively killed the .22 WRF. A variety of Winchester, Remington, and Stevens single-shot and repeater rifles were offered from 1890 onward, but new rifles are not made for this cartridge. .22 WRF ammunition is periodically offered by commercial makers for use in the old guns. It can be fired in any rifle chambered for the more powerful .22 WMR. The shorter WRF cartridge may be limited to single shot use in WMR rifles, since it may not feed from WMR-length magazines, depending on design.

I'll be. I didn't know that either.