PDA

View Full Version : Damn! THAT was an expensive lesson!

Thumper
06-13-2016, 07:14 AM
I've had a GPS for what seems like forever ... since way back when I bought my first hand-held. I have no idea how long ago I bought a couple for the cars, but have had one in Lynn's car as well as my own for .. heck, it's been so long, I don't have a clue. Well, we bought Lynn's 2015 Avalon and it has a factory GPS, so I sold her portable unit. I bought my 2016 Tacoma and it also has GPS, so I sold my unit. I figured, if we ever need one and we're not in one of our personal vehicles, we have GPS on both of our iPhones. We use the feature from time to time ... in L.A. for example, when we visit Lynn's mom ... but we generally know the area and don't use it that often.

Ok, on the trip to Maine last week, I rented a car as we'd planned on doing quite a bit of exploring. The rental agent said we could rent a GPS for $10/day, but I figured naaaa, we'll just use our phones. Now, I've had the same cell phone plan for a bazillion years. We've NEVER ... never ONCE, gone over the limit of our plan. Even when I was driving my truck and practically lived on that phone while traveling all over the country, I never paid more than our normal monthly plan. Heck, I thought it was basically unlimited and never worried about it. We take tons of pics/videos and email or text them to each other or friends. We watch the occasional YouTube video and listen to a bit of music from time to time, but have never even thought twice about our cell phone bill. It's ALWAYS the same basic charge every month.

Well, I was messing around with the settings on my phone last night and noticed a section on "cell phone usage", so I glanced at it. WHOA!! It shows our cell phone minutes and messaging minutes usage for the month, but also shows "Allowance - Unlimited" for both. No problem. Under "Data - GB Used" it shows "Allowance - 3GB" .... "Used - 12.3 GB!" I just checked on-line and our monthly billing cycle doesn't even end until the 24th, so that may go higher! I then read up on what the charges are and found it runs $15/GB over our allotted amount! I then looked at some old bills and it seems we've never even hit ONE GB of usage as far back as I checked. ARRRGGGHHH! As far as I can tell, using the GPS on our phone cost us an extra $150.00!!! I "could" have rented one for $30 (we had the car 3-days) or could have bought a brand new one for less than $150! Dang it! Hell, I don't even have a clue what a GB is, much less what they do!

Lesson learned I guess .... an EXPENSIVE lesson learned! :(

Arty
06-13-2016, 07:25 AM
Dang!
My guess is you left the map running in the background versus killing the app once you got to your destination?

Thumper
06-13-2016, 07:29 AM
No clue Arty. I was driving and Lynn was playing navigator. That very well may be what happened. I honestly don't know anything about those dang Gig thingies and how they work. Heck, she could have left the app. open all night for all I know 'cause we'd use it to find our way back to the hotel also. Just never had to worry about it before. (obviously I'm no techie)

Captain
06-13-2016, 09:12 AM
I'll be sure to text the shit out of you between now and the 24th.... ;-)

Thumper
06-13-2016, 09:23 AM
I'll be sure to text the shit out of you between now and the 24th.... ;-)

I'm assuming texting is covered under "messaging minutes". If so, I show "unlimited messaging minutes" on our plan ... so text away! ;)

Heck, I don't know what the crap means. Our plan shows:

Unlimited Cell Phone Minutes
Unlimited Messaging Minutes
3GB Data Allowance

Hombre
06-13-2016, 09:26 AM
It's your data transfer rate 1000 megabits equal 1 gigabit. I agree with arty your map must have been running in the background at all times, or it shouldn't of been that much data. A typical HD 1.5 hour movie would be around 3 gigs, but I can't imagine maps would be very high. Google maps does give you an option to use WiFi and download the map to the device which would save significant data. Also you can go to data on your phone and see what applications are using the most data.

Hombre
06-13-2016, 09:28 AM
One other thing you might consider from data usage on your phone you can set limits.

Thumper
06-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks Hombre. I'm learning. Of all the years I've been on the plan (have never changed it), I've never paid any overage. This is the first time in ... well, forever! Basically, it's just something I never even thought about before. I think you guys are right, Lynn probably just left the dang app running after we arrived at our destination. Heck, it could have been running all night after we got back to the hotel as far as I know. As I stated, it was an expensive lesson and something I'll have to pay closer attention to now that I'm aware of it.