PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC

Arty
06-15-2016, 06:42 PM
The whole fam damily is taking a cruise next month and we leave out of Charleston. We've never been to charleston before so we are heading in ONE day early. Will probably have anywhere from right after breakfast until 11-12pm the next day to sight see and explore.

What are some must see things that the 4 of us can do together ? Wife and I are secretly more excited to spend a day in charleston than we are to go on the cruise, but we won't tell the boys that. They've never been on a cruise before.

If it helps we are staying at the Hilton waterfront/downtown.

Captain
06-15-2016, 07:02 PM
If you like history go to see the CSS Huntley. What a great story there. I always like going to the Angel Oak. Not much to do there but very cool to see.
You can spend the time you are talking about just walking around the battery and the market.
There is a great little type bed and breakfast at #2 Meeting St where I alway stay. Charleston is one of my favorite places to go.

airbud7
06-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Yep^ what Cappy said...Charleston so cool/ it will set you back in time...

Arty
06-15-2016, 07:28 PM
If you like history go to see the CSS Huntley. What a great story there. I always like going to the Angel Oak. Not much to do there but very cool to see. You can spend the time you are talking about just walking around the battery and the market. There is a great little type bed and breakfast at #2 Meeting St where I alway stay. Charleston is one of my favorite places to go.

History is at the top of everyone's list. Even the youngest likes it.

Arty
06-15-2016, 07:31 PM
If you like history go to see the CSS Huntley. What a great story there. I always like going to the Angel Oak. Not much to do there but very cool to see. You can spend the time you are talking about just walking around the battery and the market. There is a great little type bed and breakfast at #2 Meeting St where I alway stay. Charleston is one of my favorite places to go. I'll be danger. The website says tours only Saturday and Sunday?! We will be there on a Wednesday

Thumper
06-15-2016, 08:20 PM
We love Charleston and stayed in that same hotel on the waterfront. No beach really (if memory serves me correctly), but who cares? I think our room was basically overlooking the marina. I guess Cappy already mentioned the City Market. I'm not so sure that would be the best thing for you as it's basically shopping, and I doubt you want to buy souvenirs to drag along on the cruise with you. I did pick up some kick-ass boilt peanuts there though! Lots of eating places in the market, but frankly, I'd go elsewhere. Plenty of choices with better prices. There are quite a few Civil War museums in town ... we hit a couple, but I can't remember the names. We did visit the Aiken-Rhett House if you're into that sort of thing. It was pretty cool. WAY too much to see and do in the short time you'll be there. It's a neat and historical city. Well worth a future visit when you have more time.

DeputyDog
06-16-2016, 06:56 AM
There's Ft. Sumter and an aircraft carrier you can tour too.