PDA

View Full Version : Didn't take my own advice.

Captain
06-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Came home Saturday to see lots of water around the valve bodies and cut off's to my irrigation system. So I just shut it off. Got out there yesterday and dug it up and found not one but 2 of the four zone valves dripping water. 7271
So I called my buddy that put the system in and discovered he just had rotator cuff surgery... He gave me the name and phone number of another feller. A quick call and he told me between two to three weeks.... Hummmm as hot as it is the yard will be dead by then. So I headed to Lowe's and 7 this morning after leaving the gym and got 4 new valves and everything I could possibly think of that I MIGHT need.... Found out there was not enough rooms to put a repair Union in place so I had to cut and extend the supply line by about 9 inches so I could make the junction. .... More digging! 7272
Even though there were only two of the four valves leaking I opted to replace them all while I had it dug up. Finally got it all plumbed up and rewired and turned the water on. NO LEAKS!!! :D 7273
I decided to build a valve box instead of trying to level four of them little round plastics deals so back to Lowe's for project two... 7274
Finished building the top and got everything all squared away.
I'm not gonna back fill it for a few days JUST to make sure there is not a problem. 7275

Captain
06-20-2016, 08:26 PM
And yes I see advise not advice in the thread title, but I don't know how to change it... So bite me.

LJ3
06-20-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who does that. Get almost finished and decide to do it more better/right this time around. Nuther trip to HD or Lowes :)

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but what did you do after lunch?

BarryBobPosthole
06-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Nice job dufus.

But I always thought it'd be fucking nice to do just ONE job like that that didn't require three fucking trips to town. I actually love the work, but it's the trips to town that piss me off!

BKB

airbud7
06-21-2016, 05:54 AM
That irrigation manifold is ugly....;)...why 4 slip couplings?....you had enough flex in the pipe to use regular couplings....;)

Big Muddy
06-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Nice job, Cap....and those dresser couplings(slip couplings, as ABud calls them) save a ton of hair-pulling, when you're trying to get that many connections lined up and secured....and, they are a breeze to deal with, if you have any future problems.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Will you need to insulate that box down where you are or is cold/freezing pipes not that big an issue?

Thumper
06-21-2016, 09:02 AM
I always thought it'd be fucking nice to do just ONE job like that that didn't require three fucking trips to town. BKB

Hey Mister Potty Mouth! Have you been hangin' out with the Lenster again? ;)

Thumper
06-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Nice work Cappy. So ... tell us how much you enjoy digging in that rocky N.C. clay. :D

Oh, BTW ... I edited the title for you. You're welcome. (Don't ask ... it's a "Secret Committee" secret) :D

HideHunter
06-21-2016, 09:58 AM
"The yard".?.. You irrigate your *yard*?.. I'm never happier than when mine is a nice uniform shade of brown. There is *nothing* I do where I feel I am wasting my time more than when I'm mowing the yard. Mine is so burned up right now - it crunches.. Love it. ;)

Captain
06-21-2016, 10:17 AM
That irrigation manifold is ugly....;)...why 4 slip couplings?....you had enough flex in the pipe to use regular couplings....;) There are MANY reasons I did not pipe it back solid AirBud. When I noticed the leak I had to dig up a country mile to get enough room to replace the valves.
Also if you pipe it solid if you ever need to replace again you have to cut the line short to install another valve and they would not all be lined up for the box.
Also there was only about 4 inches of straight pipe in a couple of runs till you got to a T or elbow. I would have had to dig a long way to gotten enough lift to join them solid. There are 4 zones and thus a LOT of piping mixed together. I looked at it and decided I would fix it where if I ever needed to replace another valve I could do it in minutes instead of hours.
So I extended the supply line about 9 inches or so and piped it solid to the "in" side of the valve that connects with a threaded coupling. I did this because there is always pressure on the supply side and connecting solid is less likely to leak but I can unscrew the valve for future replacement.
By extending the supply line it gave me enough room to put a dresser coupling on the "out" side of the valve connected again by a threaded end where removing the valve in the future is simple. I chose to put the dresser coupling on the out side of the valve instead of the supply side because if the coupling leaks it will only have pressure on it for 10 minutes a day. If I have put it on the supply side and it leaked it would have pressure on it all the time causing another mess.
I fixed it up right to where I can replace a valve with minimal digging and by unscrewing the dresser fitting. I'm leaving it uncovered for a few day just to watch and make sure of no leaks and then I'm going to backfill the whole deal with SAND! that way if I do ever have to dig it up it will be easy digging.
CD, I will put some blue board inside and on the lid before winter. But since I drain it during the winter there really has never been a problem.

Thumper
06-21-2016, 10:30 AM
"The yard".?.. You irrigate your *yard*?.. I'm never happier than when mine is a nice uniform shade of brown. There is *nothing* I do where I feel I am wasting my time more than when I'm mowing the yard. Mine is so burned up right now - it crunches.. Love it. ;)

DITTO! Prob. is, we get plenty of rain during the summer ... dang it! I do have a nutbag neighbor who not only irrigates his lawn, he actually FERTILIZES the stuff! I keep telling him that stuff will make his grass grow ... but he never listens. ;)

airbud7
06-21-2016, 11:31 AM
There are MANY reasons I did not pipe it back solid AirBud. When I noticed the leak I had to did up a country mile to get enough room to replace the valves. Also if you pipe it solid if you ever need to replace again you have to cut the line short to install another valve and they would not all be lined up for the box.
Also there was only about 4 inches of straight pipe in a couple of runs till you got to a T or elbow. I would have had to did a long way to gotten enough lift to join them solid. There are 4 zones and thus a LOT of piping mixed together.
I looked at it and decided I would fix it where if I ever needed to replace another valve I could do it in minutes instead of hours.
So I extended the supply line about 9 inches or so and piped it solid to the "in" side of the valve that connects with a threaded coupling. I did this because there is always pressure on the supply side and connecting solid is less likely to leak but I can unscrew the valve for future replacement.
By extending the supply line it have me enough room to put a dresser coupling on the "out" side of the valve connected again by a threaded end where removing the valve in the future is simple. I chose to put the dresser coupling on the out side of the valve instead of the supply side because if the coupling leaks it will only have pressure on it for 10 minutes a day. If I have put it on the supply side and it leaked it would have pressure on it all the time causing another mess.
I fixed it up right to where I can replace a valve with minimal digging and by so plying unscrewing the dresser fitting. I'm leaving it uncovered for a few day just to watch and make sure of no leaks and then I'm going to backfill the whole deal with SAND! that way if I do ever have to dig it up it will be easy digging.

CD, I will put some blue board inside and on the lid before winter.
But since I drain it during the winter there really has never been a problem.

You do realise that I am the best irrigation man this side of the mississippi....;)

Thumper
06-21-2016, 11:38 AM
I irrigate my back yard from time to time ... but only after dark ... we have neighbors ya' know. ;)

LJ3
06-21-2016, 12:26 PM
You do realise that I am the best irrigation man this side of the mississippi....;)

Sounds to me like he told ya to mind yer damn bidness and focus on video production.

Since BBP is drunk in St. Lucia and unable to serve in his role of Sr. Noticer and all.

airbud7
06-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Sounds to me like he told ya to mind yer damn bidness and focus on video production.

Since BBP is drunk in St. Lucia and unable to serve in his role of Sr. Noticer and all.

All I wanted is to be the SD for one day since Barry was gone.

Dang/ cant have no fun...

LJ3
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Everything I've learned about irrigation systems is from trying to un-fuck other people problems. I'd rate myself about 7 out of 10 irrigation buckets.

airbud7
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Everything I've learned about irrigation systems is from trying to un-fuck other people problems. I'd rate myself about 7 out of 10 irrigation buckets.

yea/ I did a repair over in augusta where they dry fitted all connections then put the glue on the outside/ none in the fitting or pipe....whole yard leaked...

Big Muddy
06-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Dang, Abud, I've done a few dumbazz things, but that's the dumbest sheeit I ever heard of....you shoulda took pics and
posted 'em here. ;)

airbud7
06-21-2016, 02:11 PM
weird thing is Muddy/ the system was over a year old with no leaks/ it was only until the gas company installed a new line and there trencher hit the main supply line to the valves and that tug on the line started the whole thing to leak...the valves(glue in/not threaded) were sitting on the ground and the main line just pulled out...

Captain
06-21-2016, 04:33 PM
The time for you to spoke up would have been when I posted on your "What the Heck are y'all doing" thread Sunday...
I got two leaking valves in my irrigation system. Dug that up this morning while it was cool. May have to hire the replacement of the valves out. :-( Going to load cows to send to the sale about noon today and then hopefully rest and relax...

airbud7
06-21-2016, 06:14 PM
The time for you to spoke up would have been when I posted on your "What the Heck are y'all doing" thread Sunday...

Cappy............ I would love to work for you!!!....How much money you got?/ j/k hahaha

Love you Cappy.......

Captain
06-21-2016, 06:42 PM
I could probably cover your gas from Augusta :)

BarryBobPosthole
06-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Thumper's got enough gas to get you there and back.

BKB

Captain
06-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Thumper's got enough gas to get you there and back. BKB

Thumper could fuel the Shuttle....

Captain
06-21-2016, 07:57 PM

Yes sir I irrigate it, fertilize and lime it, put out weed killer and pre emergent and treat the yard for bugs and grubs. But I hire the mowing out.
I like planting and growing stuff always have.

Nandy
06-21-2016, 08:12 PM
So I headed to Lowe's and 7 this morning after leaving the gym

McDonald's is not a gym, just saying....

Nandy
06-21-2016, 08:13 PM

Peeing in your back yard after a few beers does not counts as irrigation....

Captain
06-21-2016, 08:13 PM
McDonalds.... Yuck. I gained a pound just reading the name.

airbud7
06-21-2016, 09:04 PM
I could probably cover your gas from Augusta :)

Good^(lol).....Me and Lynn are coming to NC and see you Cappy/ Heck...she works in concord walmart 2 times a month....(Inventory stuff)

HideHunter
06-21-2016, 09:28 PM
My dream home would be a huge machine shed with living quarters and a yard of gravel painted green.

Captain
06-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Does she work at the Matthews, Indian Trail or Monroe Walmart too doing inventory? All three of those are close to my NC home. The one in Cheraw SC is close to my SC home.
Walmart has a big DC in Pageland SC I think 30 acres under roof there. Is she ever there?

Arty
06-21-2016, 09:33 PM
McDonald's is not a gym, just saying.... ZING!!!!

Captain
06-21-2016, 09:55 PM
ZING!!!!

This from the Spandex King....

airbud7
06-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Does she work at the Matthews, Indian Trail or Monroe Walmart too doing inventory? All three of those are close to my NC home. The one in Cheraw SC is close to my SC home.
Walmart has a big DC in Pageland SC I think 30 acres under roof there. Is she ever there?

I think all 3 Cappy....For some reason they take augusta people to do inventory up your way and your people come down here to count.......(conflict of interest maybe).......

Would love to see you brother.....gonna leave your place and see Barry and then I'm on to Big Skys place....

(he don't know yet though)