PDA

View Full Version : Bet'cha Haven't Seen This Before...

Big Skyz
12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I've spent a lot of time outdoors and have never seen anything like this before. I doubt I ever will. It sure could have ended much worse! This is definitely worth taking a look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q904gtMI&feature=player_embedded

jb
12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
WOW, that's scary, big bird to pick up that toddler and lift him that far off the ground.
My biggest fear is our dogs. In the winter I usually go outside with them. We get snow owls down here and our dogs are small enought to temp one of them.
Would have no problem blasting one of those great birds if I had to.

BarryBobPosthole
12-19-2012, 10:10 AM
My sister had a jack russell once that got attacked twice by an owl that hung around her house. He survived both. He also got struck by lightning and survived that too. He eventually got run over by a car and sadly didn't make it through that. The dog's name was Lucky.

I've also heard of duck hunters that get attacked by hawks and eagles in their blinds although its never happened to me. We have had a few flybys from eagles but not an outright attack.

BKB

Big Skyz
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
It's fairly common for predator hunters/callers to get attacked by raptor's but it's not common to see one try to carry a person off.

Chicken Dinner
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Man, that's messed up. While never attacked by a raptor, I've had a few close up encounters that were awful cool. I once had a huge owl swoop down and go after (flared away at the last second when it got close to the boat) a white buzz bait I was fishing. Another time I had an Osprey actually grab a hickory shad I was reeling in. He eventually let go and I reeled him in and he had talon marks down his sides. Man, that bird looked pissed when I released that fish. Another time I had a Red Tail Hawk snatch a squirrel that was bout 20' feet away from me.

Good stuff.

BarryBobPosthole
12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
They're not raptors, but Keith and I were fishing one day and I had kingfisher dive from the top of a tree and snatch a lure I was working about a foot or so under the water. He picked it up and tried to make off with it and dropped it when he got up about ten feet or so with it. The funny part was, on the very next cast he did exactly the same thing again. I imagine they get so locked in on their quarry that they lose perspective of it.

BKB

Buckrub
12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Dang, Hank.

Have you considered changing underwear, or using deodorant?

Chicken Dinner
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
My Indian name is, "Soars with Raptors"...

hotshot
12-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I was deer hunting in a large bulldozed brushpile, Think Tree stand but 30 feet wide...
Scratched my knee with my hand. Looked up to see a Barn Owl hovering about me. Whenmy whole body flinched, the owl seemed very suprised. This was archery season-full camo. IT matched.

BarryBobPosthole
12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
So.....I just read where this video was a fake. Coulda fooled me.

BKB

Buckrub
12-19-2012, 08:48 PM
ALL videos are fake.

Well, except for that video Mrs. Claus made for Santa that he wasn't supposed to watch on the Sleigh...........I bet that's real.

HideHunter
12-19-2012, 09:14 PM
I only saw it once and that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Big Muddy
12-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Yep, the video made the nat'l evening news, and it was declared a fake.

Still, it is certainly possible....several years ago, we lost a puppy to a red-tailed hawk.

jb
12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Very well done by a bunch of kids.

Bwana
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Few years back there was a bald eagle that swooped down and took a yapper dog off of a sandbar in south Bismarck while the family was taking a stroll.

HideHunter
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Very well done by a bunch of kids.

I agree. Very cool.

FooBang
12-20-2012, 11:05 PM
It was posted from Montreal. Each year, the university assigns a "fool the internet" type project. Last year was an escaped penguin. Don't believe nuthin' out of Montreal..

--Foo