PDA

View Full Version : Social Justice or Liberal Agenda? You decide

LJ3
07-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. I just found this article very innersting and BBP isn't here to stir up enough shit.

https://sojo.net/articles/social-justice-christian-tradition-not-liberal-agenda

LJ3
07-08-2016, 04:08 PM
By Stephen Mattson 08-11-2015
Print
Many Christians are wary of participating in social justice because of a deep-rooted fear of being labeled “liberal,” “progressive,” or “secular.” They don’t want to be associated with “secular” movements, and are uncomfortable delving into issues that go beyond their cultural comfort zones.

But the Bible tells us that Jesus cared deeply about the social causes around him.

Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Samaritan lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Children’s lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Gentile lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Jewish lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Women’s lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Lepers’ lives matter.”

Even though Jesus loves everyone, even to the point of dying for their sins, he went out of his way to intentionally help specific groups of people — the alienated, mistreated, and those facing injustice.

So saying “Black Lives Matter” and participating in a movement seeking justice, positive reform, and empowerment is one of the most Christ-like things we can do.

Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Women’s lives matter.”
Christians must recognize that our society is filled with numerous groups and communities facing systemic oppression, and we must act. We must be willing to admit and address the complex realities within our world that create such problems, and avoid the spiritual laziness that tempts us to rely on generic excuses and solutions.

Christians do a disservice to the gospel message by removing the cultural context from Jesus’s ministry and watering down his message to one of religious platitudes. We like to generalize the words of Jesus and transform his life into a one-size-fits-all model that can apply to all of humanity.

Throughout the New Testament Jesus was more complex than we give him credit for.

He intentionally, purposefully, and passionately addressed very specific causes. He radically addressed the diverse and complicated conflicts of the time and shattered the status quo.

Jesus wasn’t just preaching a universal salvation message for the world, but he was also addressing specific political, social, and racial issues. He was helping those who were being abused, violated, and oppressed.

Involving ourselves within these issues — serving those who need justice — is an example of following Jesus that today’s Christians must adhere to, because throughout the world there are millions of people who are suffering. But many Christians remain simply apathetic, ignorant, or refuse to admit any problems exist.

They’re uncomfortable facing the complex and controversial issues surrounding race, ethnicity, history, and culture.

To avoid such discomfort, many Christians assume that equality and justice looks like a total dismissal — and rejection of — any cultural, ethnic, or distinguishing form of identity. They believe our very humanity should supersede all other labels or descriptions, and that a love of Christ wipes away any “superficial” characteristic such as skin color, heritage, or other cultural identifier.

They see verses such as Galatians 3:28 that states, “ There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (NIV) to mean that nothing else matters beyond our faith in Christ.

Ironically, verses like this show that these things — race, ethnicity, culture — DO matter to God, because God is recognizing the very public fact that there are various laws, expectations, practices, and opinions regarding each distinction mentioned.

Paul is validating all of the cultural issues associated with Jews, Gentiles, slaves, the free, men, and women rather than disregarding them. He’s stating that Jesus is relevant to these differences, and is working throughout their lives by understanding and recognizing the unique pros and cons they’re dealing with — the privileges, disadvantages, stereotypes, assumptions, treatment, rights, social value, and expectations they face on a daily basis.

Participating in social justice is a Christian tradition inspired by Jesus, not liberal causes, populist agendas, media platforms, lawmakers, or mainstream fads. It’s a deeply spiritual practice.

Instead of being motivated by political affiliations, financial gain, power, pride, control, or our own secular motivations, we should be active participants for the sake of following Jesus — for the purpose of glorifying God by through acts of justice, empowerment, and love.

Thumper
07-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Regarding the "Black Lives Matter" b/s ....

The way I see it, if it acts like a duck, looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck .... it's prolly a duck.

The big problem kicks in when that dang duck turns out to be a frigging pigeon. (Jr. SD'er reporting for duty Sir!) ;)

airbud7
07-08-2016, 04:49 PM
If being prejudice is what that want!....They got it Now!.....

quercus alba
07-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Actually the idea of empowerment is a man made idea. The bible teaches more along the lines of "service"

The way he took those scriptures out of context is a crying shame

Thumper
07-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Frankly, that's one of the major problems I have with the Bible. Almost EVERYTHING is up for "interpretation". That's fine with me, until people start interpreting the same scripture to fit the situation at hand, then change the interpretation if it's a better fit with another situation. I sat on a porch swing at my grandmother's house one afternoon listening to two preachers arguing over the meaning of a certain scripture. They "interpreted" it two different ways. I think my biggest personal hang-up is the shitload of contradictions. I know, I know ... THOSE are up for "interpretation" also!

Half the time, politicians remind me of the Bible. A Republican at a Teamsters meeting (for example), will say one thing ... then when called on it by their Republican followers, you get the old, "No, I didn't mean it that way ... what I REALLY meant was, .....". Ad nauseam.

airbud7
07-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Yea...What Thump Said^

I wish I could put into words the things I think like you do Thump.

Edit: Did I say that right^?

Thumper
07-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Ha ha ha! I don't know ... it depends on who interprets what you just wrote. ;)

quercus alba
07-08-2016, 06:45 PM
actually the bible isn't open to interpretation, just understudied

2 Peter 1:20: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation" KJV

airbud7
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
actually the bible isn't open to interpretation, just understudied

understudied?....Like walking on water? Parting the Sea? Coming back to life after Death?....

Oh yea....Lets not forget the Ark that all on earth came from.

Trust Me....Its been Studied.

quercus alba
07-08-2016, 08:39 PM
greek translated into english is difficult at best. Sometimes to get the meaning you need more than one word and the translators don't usually do that. Most people are only going to dig deep enough to find what they want or to refute what they don't want to hear. It's not really that difficult to understand you have to be seeking the meaning.

Try reading a couple of random paragraphs from The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire and then explain it to someone. The bible is without a doubt the most agenda driver piece of literature in history.

I don't have an understanding of the every verse in the bible but I try to be open minded when a logical discussion takes place. When it resorts to insults and name calling then I'm done. Same thing in politics or history or any other subject. I'm not scared of being proven wrong and I won't gloat when I'm right.

that being said, :smash

airbud7
07-08-2016, 08:57 PM
My Granddaddy took me to church Every sunday when I was a kid/ young teen (southern Baptist)

I have read the bible!....

I guess I just have to many questions/ Please dont be mad at me quercus

quercus alba
07-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Passionate not mad. Kinda like patriotism

Btw, questions are good. We need to challenge our belief. Makes our convictions stronger

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm not exactly sure what social justice is, and I'm not trying to be cute. But the article made me think of some things that have caused me to at once question modern christianity and have also formed some of my social and political beliefs.

The first question I guess is one that I consider more important than whether or not I believe in a judeo-christian God. It is simply what the purpose of our spirituality really is. Is it to create a society that, in unison, worships and fears one god? For what purpose then? Or is it to create a more perfect human society by giving us a road map that helps us navigate our way as humanity grows and changes? Is this is so, what would a human society look like that was made up 100% of believers that agreed to a single code of human ethics? We read a lot in the Bible of the struggles of various people and groups of people who had to navigate ethical waters and either succeeded or failed, but we never get a picture of what would happen if everyone believed the same thing. If you spend much time thinking about it, secular law wouldn't exist. We'd all be governed by our single set of religious beliefs. Sound familiar? Know of any countries where this is true today?

I'm just asking questions here. I'll take my answers off the air.

BKB