PDA

View Full Version : Best Gunfight in a Western

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Gotta be Open Range

or maybe The Outlaw Josie Wales. When things get their worse, that's when you gotta get mean.

Or maybe Unforgiven.

Can't decide.
BKB

Captain
07-09-2016, 08:33 PM
I'm with you on Open range. Super good movie. Tombstone is close...

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm not nearly as familiar with the Unforgiven as I am the Outlaw Josey Wales and Tombstone both of which are among my absolute favorite Westerns. I can't think of one if out up with either as far as gun fights go either. I do really like that long range Sharps in Quigley Down Under.

What about war pictures? Saving Private Ryan, particularly the opening scene, are right up there as far as battle footage. I also really liked the whole Band of Brothers series.

jb
07-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Just watched Open Range last night, I have to agree with Posthole.
I'm into old Colts, and when I watch Westerns I'm looking at the guns.
A lot of Westerns use Rugers, give a way, is when the hammer is cocked back there is no firing pin.
Open Range had it right in both handguns and rifles.
A lot of old Westerns have the cowboys using Winchester Model 94's, for the time period of the story, the gun wasn't even invented yet.

Captain
07-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Open range and Tombstone are two I can watch anytime I'm channel surfin' and see them on. Never get tired of either.

quercus alba
07-10-2016, 09:06 AM
not a gunfight scene in the true sense of the word but one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-fRdCmzDk

HideHunter
07-10-2016, 12:32 PM
John Wayne.. gets an honorable mention in Sons Of Katie.. 14 shots without reloading. ;)

LJ3
07-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Hard to beat the gunplay in Heat with Pacino and Kilmer. But that ain't a western. 'Cept it is, kinda. Just fancier duds is all.