PDA

View Full Version : Quershun for you farmers

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Was listening to a market report this morning and I guess there is such a big wheat crop along with big winter wheat stores that it is starting to be economical to actually use it as feed.

I'd never really heard of that. I mean, we fed wheat shorts to hogs, but that's not the same as this.

Any of you guys ever fed it?

BKB

Big Muddy
07-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Yep, as a kid, we had a big corn crib and a wheat bin....mixed the two together, and fed it to the work mules, cows, hogs, goats, chickens, guineas, turkeys, geese, etc, etc....we had a chopper to turn the corn into chops, but fed the wheat whole....it would really help pack on the pounds to all the farm animals, just like it does with humans, who eat a lot of bread.

As a side note, I can't count the times that I saw my Mom pick up a fat hen outta the yard, and ring off it's neck....then, she'd just lay it on the ground, and let it bleed out for about a half hour....she would holler at me, "pluck that hen, and bring it into the house"....best fried chicken ever !!!

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Muddy, I'll always have a memory of my Mom out back hanging clothes on the line when I was in the third grade. We had yardbirds on that farm, they pretty much went anywhere they wanted but tended to hang around the back yard. We had a big leghorn rooster that was meaner than hell. He made the mistake of spurring at my Mom as she was hanging laundry on the line and about as quick as a wink he was walking around with no head. At least until he figured it out.

BKB