PDA

View Full Version : Garage door....this might be a dumb question....

Big Muddy
07-16-2016, 10:52 AM
We had a storm the other night, and my 87 y/o m-i-l's power went out....she lives about an hour away, and called us that she couldn't see in the darkness to even find her flashlight, and was pretty frantic....then, she dropped the portable phone, and evidently couldn't retrieve it, either.

We called the police to do a wellness check on her, but they called back, and said she didn't come to the door....however, she hollered at them from the bedroom window that she was just fine, only scared.

About that time, the power was restored, and she raised the carport door for them, and all ended well.

We have, since, hidden a key for her main front door, and installed emergency lights, which come on, when the power goes out....however, she has decorative iron bars on all her windows and doors, so my question is, in an emergency, is there any way to breach a garage door, which operates on electricity, without having to tear it up, when the power goes out???....just wondering.

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2016, 10:59 AM
The only way I know is to do it from the inside. There should be a rope hanging there with a red handle to release the door from he opener.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Yep, I know about that.

airbud7
07-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Yep, I know about that.

Why you ask then?

Thumper
07-16-2016, 12:44 PM
I think he's asking a way to enter from the outside ... like in the case of emergency personnel entering the house. I'd say no. What's the point? As the door would then provide zero security ... like leaving your front door unlocked.

If I misunderstood and you mean from the INSIDE ... yeah, what P-hole said. 'Course, at 87 years old, I'd say all she could do is release the catch and someone outside would have to lift it for her.

airbud7
07-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Then just hide a garage door opener remote in the same place they put the key for her main front door ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Lots of folks in my neighborhood have a semi-hidden touch pad that allows them to key in acode an operate the garage door. I suppose its possible to conjure up a remote relay that'd release the safety latch. Just need a solenoid of sorts and a motor cycle battery somewhere to operate it. Easy peasy japanesy.

BKB

Big Muddy
07-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Then just hide a garage door opener remote in the same place they put the key for her main front door ;)

HA, read my post and catch up Abud....the frigging garage door won't work without elec. power!!!

We've pretty much got all the bases covered, now....the po-po have been extremely nice, and put her on their watch list.

airbud7
07-16-2016, 01:56 PM
In that case get a generac

;)